4.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Dreamtime2 DAB Clock Radio
Roberts Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio
I had decided to replace my 25 year old Sony Clock Radio, which although working well required manual tuning, with a newer DAB Clock Radio with preset station selection. This was to allow me an easy choice of programs if I wished to listen to radio during the night.
I carefully researched what was available and narrowed my...
Published on 25 Feb. 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy controls let this down
I bought this model to replace my Pure Siesta alarm clock/radio which had died. I bought Roberts because they have a good reputation for quality, and I already have a nice chunky Roberts DAB radio which is excellent. The Roberts has an option for weekday-only alarms, like the Pure Siesta, and this, with the red display, is largely what convinced me to purchase...
Published on 2 May 2012 by A. Clews

3.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy controls let this down, 2 May 2012
A. Clews - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
However, I'm a bit disappointed. Firstly, I'm not impressed with the sound quality. I like to use the sleep function, and it's nice to have good quality sound to drift off to, but this is rather too bright and bass-weak, like a cheap 'tranny' and hence not very relaxing, but maybe I'm expecting too much of a unit of this size. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the excellent sound of my other Roberts DAB radio and naively expected similar sound quality.
Secondly, the control buttons are a real challenge if you can't see them, either in the dark or due to the position of the unit, as they are all flush with the top of the unit and all packed together in a grid. This product is most likely to be used when you're half asleep or groping in the dark to switch the alarm off, set the 'sleep' function, retune, change the volume etc. You need to really concentrate to find the button you want, or suffer the frustration of having to correct matters when you press the wrong button. Not very sleepy-person-friendly! It would have been nice if the button labels were imprinted in relief so you could learn them by feel, or even if they were not actually flat. I would at least expect the on/off button to have a little pimple on it so that you can identify it quickly by touch, like is provided on phone keypads etc. One weird quirk with my radio is that when tuned to Classic FM, any attempt to use the Sleep button causes the unit to reboot itself! This doesn't happen with any other station! That's a bit unfortunate if I want to drift off to sleep to a bit of Schubert. [Update: the answer is to set the Sleep time on another station and then retune to Classic FM :-) ]
I do like the dimmable red display: on the dimmest setting it's easy on the eye and isn't lighting up the room when you wake up in the middle of the night. You can even switch the display off completely if you prefer. The alarm fades up nicely so doesn't jolt you rudely out of your sleep and make you all grumpy :-)
I'm sure I'll get used to this item's shortcomings and it'll serve me well, but had I known about them beforehand I would probably not have chosen this model.
Update January 2014: recently the increase-volume button has been causing my unit to switch off. Darned annoying! I hadn't really got used to the other shortcomings before this one appeared, so, sorry Messrs Roberts but I'm now in the market for another clock radio... :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Dreamtime2 DAB Clock Radio, 25 Feb. 2012
Roberts Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio
I carefully researched what was available and narrowed my choice down to the latest Sony model or this Roberts Dreamtime Clock Radio, paying great attention to comments by purchasers in each case. In the event I decided I could not live with the lop-sided appearance of the Sony and purchased the latest model of the Roberts Dreamtime, expecting that most of the criticism of the earlier version would have been taken care of by the manufacturer.
And so it has proved to be. This is a nice looking and well made clock radio with reasonable sound quality and I have no doubt, with the Roberts name behind it, it will function perfectly for many years to come.
Using the small wire aerial supplied, I can receive tens of DAB stations with an acceptable signal strength. There is no detectable hum. The orange backliight can be dimmed to an acceptable level. I did not find it one of the easiest of devices to set up but not unduly difficult with the aid of the instruction manual.
In short, it behaves perfectly as an ordinary clock radio alarm and I would give it 5 stars for this.
However, if like me you are insomniac and sometimes wish to listen to suitable radio programs during a wakeful period at night, be prepared to get half out of bed and use a torch to identify the buttons you need to press in order to achieve this. Initially, you may also need the instruction manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Dreamtime2, 1 Feb. 2012
A. Wilson "tonyandanne" (Walsall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
Finally found a good clock/radio/alarm. It was easy to set up found all my DAB radio stations with easy with good reception and the alarm was fairly easy to use if you follow the instructions booklet. One of the best features is the fact you have four options for dimming the front display. I have it set to the lowest setting (there is another that turns it off completely if required), and my eysight isn't the best but I can see the time during the night without lighting up th whole bedroom. Must add excellent service from Amazon it arrived within two days.

5.0 out of 5 stars wake up time, 19 May 2012
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
Iwanted an alarm clocck which would give me the option of wakimg to music so purchased the Roberts Dreamtime 2 knowing
this makers quality from a previous purchase. I unpacked my Dreamtime looked at the wire attached to the back which the
instruction book said shold be left dangling at the back or could be mounted vertically. Oh no I thought this can,t work
for D.A.B and there is no provision to connect a D.A.B. aerial. I placed the Dreamtime on my bedside cabinet left the
wire dangling at the back connected to the mains and switced on. The radio was in D.B.mode and started to search
within seconds the number of stations found was well into the teens. This was also the case when I switched toF.M.
How wrong could I be in thinking the Dreamtime could not work on radio I should have Known better ITS ROBERTS and does every thing it says on the box. One feature I particularly like Is the fact that the alarm does not start with music blaring but starts inaudibly the volume gently increasing to just below mid level which is enough.So if you want a
radio alarm with lots of features buy this it,s excellent

3.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Need to go Back to The Drawing Board..., 21 Dec. 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
I bought one of these radios from a John Lewis store, a couple of weeks ago.
John Lewis staff are normally quite knowledgeable about the products they sell. When the salesman was unable to show me how to set up the DAB stations, that was a foretaste of what was to come when I returned home with my purchase.
This is a fairly compact radio, measuring 17 cms wide, 10 cms tall, and 13 cms front to back. The body is a combination of gun-metal grey and black coloured, it's a simple design and reasonably attractive.
It took me thirty minutes of extremely annoying fiddling around with the push button controls on the top of the radio, just to set ten D.A.B. Station presets. I followed the owners manual to the letter, but setting the ten stations was probably more by chance than skilful input. If the salesman at John Lewis was unable to set the stations on the display radio, and I had a real struggle to accomplish the task at home, I can see lots of people finding this radio far from user friendly. I own a lot of hi-fi products, by the likes of Bose, Denon and Mission, all of which are very user-friendly, but the controls on this Roberts radio are irritatingly counter-intuitive.
You can save a maximum of twenty station presets, I was losing the will to live after setting the first ten.
There's a six position graphic equaliser which is easy to use with the remote control, there are pre-programmed configurations including rock and pop, and you can adjust the bass and treble. The equaliser works well.
The clock has an auto-time set which works the first time you switch the radio on, fixing the date and time.
There are two independent alarms. You can wake up to to a radio station, either a pre-selected one, or the last station which you listened to the night before, or to your iPhone or iPod. I've used the alarm with my iPhone 6 mounted on the radio dock and it works fine. However, setting the alarm and resetting it has been made more complicated than it needs to be. Logically, turning an alarm on and off should be a one step process, either a solitary button on the top of the radio, or a solitary button on the remote control. At 6.00 a.m. when my alarm goes off, I should be able to reach out to my bed-side cabinet and turn the alarm on or off, without even opening my eyes. Roberts, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to make this a two stage process, so that you have to scroll through an on-screen menu and then turn the alarm on or off. It's like re-inventing the wheel with a square shape. Why do it?!!
There's an adjustable display dimmer which works fine, you can have the screen dimly lit but still legible, all the way to very bright.
There's a USB socket to the rear of the radio, for charging your iPhone or smartphone.
There's also an auxiliary input socket at the rear, for a standard audio lead, so that you can connect other products such as an Amazon Kindle. In addition there's a headphone socket.
The radio has stereo speakers which work okay. If you set the bass above 3, the sound gets a little boomy. The treble response is alright, not tinny. I couldn't see the wattage on any of the product packaging but my best guess is maybe 6 to 8 watts. You're not going to get Bose or Denon speaker quality on a radio like this, but it's listenable.
Roberts need to do some fairly basic tasks to make this is a high quality item. The alarm function needs a one step on and off function, by way of a small button on top of the radio and a corresponding button on the remote. There should be an auto-tuning function like you get on televisions, so that the radio finds one D.A.B. station at a time, and the user simply selects "yes" or "no" to preset each station. The radio, next generation, should also have a Bluetooth capability for iPhones and smartphones, I want to able to use my iPhone 6 for messaging, etc, and to listen to my iTunes at the same time, and I can't do that if the iPhone has to be stood on the dock.
Finally, Roberts should give the radio a sleep setting, just like the one on the Amazon Kindle, so that you can set the radio to switch off automatically after 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes, i.e. so that you can listen to the radio whilst drifting off to sleep, which is what my girlfriend and I like to do.
Simple ideas for frankly essential improvements, which do make me wonder a little about the quality of the product testing team at Roberts.
If you can figure out how to set the station presets, this is not a bad product. However, the irksome nature of the alarm settings means that I'm still using an old alarm clock which I received as a wedding gift over twenty years ago!
If you can bear with me a short while longer, I'd like to end on a much more positive note, by recommending the best hi-fi products which I've bought and greatly enjoyed this year:-
If you're looking for a portable Bluetooth speaker, I can highly recommend the Denon Envaya speaker, which has a great sound - Denon Envaya Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black.
If you're looking for a set of headphones, I can't speak highly enough of Sennheiser Momentum - Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear Headphones - Ivory.
If you're in the market for a first rate set of in-ear 'phones, you should seriously consider Vibe Brass Balls, which were awarded the rare accolade of a five star rating by The Gadget Show. I don't think they're available on Amazon yet, you need to go to the Vibe Audio website.
If you want a Bluetooth speaker for your iPhone/iPod/iPad/Kindle/smartphone, etc, you should demo a Mission Aero. It's not just a crystal clear room-filling sound, it's much more than that. It's a house shaking Bluetooth speaker in a relatively compact, sleekly designed unit, with an audio quality which has to be heard to be believed. Both John Lewis stores and Selfridges in London sell the Mission Aero, although this product is so good that, notwithstanding the £500.00 price tag, it's frequently sold out.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read reviews before purchasing!, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
I read a number of reviews before purchasing and decided to live with the negative points people were making. Personally, I find the sound good - its not HiFi and indeed is mono with only one speaker. However for what it is - it has good sound.

I do agree that the 12 buttons on top are not easy to use - especially in the dark - there is no tactile location for any of these - I have stuck on a small rubber 'instrument foot' so I can easily locate the on/off/alarm cancel button which makes it much easier.

I have found a couple of drawbacks that I have not seen on any other write up - hence why I am raising them now:

1. Use of the headphones at low volumes is poor as the amplifier itself is noisy at low volumes. This is a 'fixed' level - you don't notice it at greater volumes. I overcome the problem leaving the volume set to about 14 (for normal use) and using earphones with a volume control built into them (Maplin do an 'add on' volume control for about £5). I have seen the same problem with two of these radios so I feel its inherent in the design.
2. If you want to wake to the radio as an alarm, then the station played as the alarm is always the last one which was tuned. This may not cause you any problem but for me, this is very annoying as I want to listen to R4 in the morning, but had music of some kind on the night before. This means waking to music, then having to mess about with those buttons to get R4. I have now given up with waking to the radio and use the buzzer instead - I then cancel the alarm and turn on the radio pressing the 'preset' button (which will always tune to the first station in the saved list).

Overall, I am fairly happy with the radio it is neat and compact and gives a good sound and I will live with the 'problems'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could do better..., 29 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
The Dreamtime2 DAB clock radio has not left an overall feeling of disappointment. The sound quality is good and reception is clear (as you would expect from a digital radio). I bought it because FM and long wave reception of Radio 4 seems to deteriorating.

I am disappointed that it is not possible to program the desired channel with the alarms, this will be a software driven system, so it should be possible to add multiple alarms with complete flexibility. My other half tends to tune to Radio 5 Live, which drives me insane with it's stupidity. I would like to ensure that we wake to Radio 4.

The other thing that is poorly designed and totally unimaginative is the control button arrangement. Others have complained about this. If you need to do anything, you have to have good light and spectacles if you need them to read the almost illegible legends on the rectangular array of square buttons.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good but some annoying design features, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
This clock radio works perfectly in terms of gradually waking us up to our pre-chosen programme. The tonal quality is good and its enjoyable to listen to in bed at night. BUT, certain annoying design faults cause me to lower its star rating to 3.
The display isn't the clearest - our old FM clock radio had clear red LEDs on a black background. On the Roberts they are orange and have far less contrast with the background. So when I look at the clock in the night, my shortsight (no glasses worn in bed) prevents me easily reading the display.
The BIGGEST design fault is that Roberts have put 12 identical buttons altogether on the top plate. There are no surface touch variations. Its so easy to press the wrong one inadvertently and then you have to fumble around, firstly working out what you did wrong and then putting things right again. Not the best way to wake up.
The clock has 'hung' on one occasion, and had to be 'rebooted' by disconnecting the power lead and then powered up again.
I wish there was some way to over-ride the clock auto. turning itself off 1hr after the alarm has brought it on.
The station presets are fiddly to use, requring the sequenced use of 3 of the 12 identical buttons to change to a new programme.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Didn't Like This Clock, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
I didn't like this clock for several reasons.
Although it was pretty straight forward to set up, I thought the sound was quite tinny and whilst I accept that it is just a clock radio, I expected better.

I also found that the scrolling text at the bottom of the display was so big, I couldn't make out what it said half the time so I ended up switching that off.

My biggest gripe though is the fact that the function buttons are flush with the top of the radio and unless you spend time enough to memorise what each one does, it'll have you groping in the dark until you're wide awake. It would have been good for the main function buttons to have a raised platform for ease of use.

Another glitch is that you can only set the alarm when the radio is on. This can obviously be a problem if you don't want to wake anyone up.

I have exchanged this radio for the Pure Siesta which I am more than pleased with and would recommend the Pure out of the two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly a good idea, 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio (Electronics)
After waking up for many years to 5 live and static decided to treat myself to a digital Radio.Apart from updating the time automatically the difference in reception is astounding ,good display in an orangey colour which is not unpleasant ( you can alter brightness if you wish ) and a raft of new stations am well pleased.

Roberts Radio Dreamtime2 DAB/FM Clock Radio