4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, Fun Journey
One of the reasons I love the self-publishing era is because good writers like these can be discovered.

But first, what I didn't like about the book. And this is me being pedantic. A synopsis offers the reader a glimpse into what is coming, what to expect. Just as a business report has a summary, a book has synopsis. This book doesn't.

The area...
Published on 1 Jun 2012 by Ravina Andrea Kurian

3.0 out of 5 stars a very basic UF
There are enough typical ingredients to make a UF novel (supernatural heroine in supernatural setting + more than one supernaturally pretty-boy love interest), but... my goodness, so much is missing.

Published 15 months ago by Brunneria

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, Fun Journey, 1 Jun 2012
This review is from: Dark Waters: Book 1 (Celtic Legacy Series) (Kindle Edition)

The area provided for product description is cluttered with reviews from other readers and book bloggers that add nothing to the description of what you are about to read and I find it irritating.

I received a complimentary copy so well and good but on the off chance if I were to consider buying it, I wouldn't and that would be a pity because her writing weaves a magical journey that will have you glued to your ereader device.

Two sisters are caught between past and present in a world that is beyond ours. Each has to cope with fear, courage and a sense of loss. You feel for each character in different ways, and this is one of Shannon's skills. Her writing invokes emotion and you find yourself trying to warn the sisters or catch yourself in conversation with them.

Celtic legends are uncovered, myths shared and a story unfolds. In essence, this book is centred on the relationship between two siblings. A force that is as strong as nature will allow it.

The ending leaves more questions than answers but I expect this is Shannon's way of saying "do come back for more". I definitely will.

Overall assessment:
Story: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Editing: 5/5
Formatting: 4.5/5
Pacing: 4.5/5
Offensive content?: Minimal (PG13)

Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the author through Orangeberry Book Tours. I did not receive any payment in exchange for this review nor was I obligated to write a positive one.

3.0 out of 5 stars a very basic UF, 13 Aug 2013

There is no humour. There is very little description (the book is set in one of the most stunning coastal areas on the planet - but I had to Google the hotel to find that out!). The characters are skimpily portrayed... It reads like a romance with everything that is tempting, tantalising and turbulent simply subtracted.

I hate leaving negative reviews like this, but I'm struggling to find any positive things to say; the language was clear and accessible. I didn't notice any typos, bad grammar or spelling errors (but I did skim bits when the sexual tension sagged like weak knicker elastic). The plot made a simplistic kind of sense, but gave little promise of future greatness - everything is going according to a prophecy, you see, so we don't have to worry.

The whole book could have been transformed by a few more words of description, a flirt of witty repartee, characters with depth and different dimensions... Interesting details of, or flashbacks to, the (very weird) childhood the sisters must have had... A glimpse of affection (or evil spark) from grandfather or mother... ANY of these things would have lifted this book into another, much more entertaining level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 30 Jun 2012
I bought it back in Feb because I needed a new book and amazon recommended it first. I was a bit skeptical at first but after the first page I was hooked!! Its fast paced, got a little bit of magic and Quinn (main character) is amazing!! I seriously recommend it, the price is a bonus ;)

However after reading Book 2 in the series I definately think this book is much better than Dark Isle.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 9 Sep 2014
A very good read from start to finish I do like bres can't wait to read next book ".."............................................................................................................................................................................................................. I'm just buying it now

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5, 5 May 2014
Even having finished this book, I'm undecided about how I feel about it. There seems to be an interesting plot developing. It's well written. The dialogue seems natural and it flows fine. Though there are a few editing issues, most notably a whole passage that seems to have been pasted in twice.

But...BUT I hated the wimpy coward Quinn was portrayed as, even while she was supposed to be a prophesied saviour. It made her feel inept, like she couldn't do anything unless there was a man there forcing her to do the right thing (the thing she wanted to do, but couldn't on her own). Meh, that SOOOO doesn't do it for me. Though, in fairness, I'll give it props for being a little more realistic than the heroine who fearlessly rushes into danger.

I also didn't feel like I got to know any of the characters very well...at all. The reader isn't given any opportunity to learn about them, their past, or their personality, especially Bres and Luke. They are essentially characterless. Thus, Quinn's eenie-meenie-minie-moe routine between the two elicited no emotion from me. I didn't care who she chose, as I knew neither one of them.

I was a bit bothered by the fact that she was suddenly 'with' Luke and determined to stay loyal, when I couldn't say when they made any sort of commitment to one another. A kiss is the most they shared. Further, she just seemed to gravitate toward whichever man she was physically nearest at the time, as if she had no actual volition of her own. All of this with no real, definitive explanation beyond, 'the prophesy says it's so.'

Similarly, since I didn't feel like I knew any of the characters I didn't feel like I really grasped why anyone did anything and therefore the plot felt a bit like a group of random people running about doing random things. Now, I'm not calling it plotless, far from. But you just never really know anything anymore than you know anyone...if that makes sense. If I didn't have a basic understanding of light and dark fae I probably wouldn't have even understood the plot in to begin with.

I'm also a bit confused about the intended audience. Quinn is 25. I'm not under the impression that this is supposed to be a YA book/series, but at times it felt very much like it is. Things like a kiss being given enormous importance or juvenile questions like, "Do you want to be my boyfriend?" Wha...what? Really?

Lastly (and this is a complaint I seem to make a lot lately), I don't understand why it's broken up. This is not a stand alone book, but as each is only ~150 pages, there is plenty of room for them to be comfortably combined.

All in all, despite my apparent negativity, it's an interesting (if rushed) start to the series, but I won't really know what I feel about it until I see how the series comes together. On its own, all it is is an interesting beginning and, honestly, that's not really enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 2 Jan 2014
A captivating storyline, and easy reading. Strong main character, but haven't gotten to know her properly yet. Looking forward to reading the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars is a good series, 16 Sep 2013
I enjoyed the trilogy was a goof read overall, the first books opens up well and leads even better to the second book

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 10 Aug 2013
J. Nixon (England) - See all my reviews
Wasn't really expecting much but the story soon got going. Well worth reading and even though a lot happens quickly the story slowly unfolds. Worth reading

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Waters (Celtic Legacy Book 1), 7 July 2013
This book started of nice and easy drawing you in giving little bit of mystery and background to the main character then the action exploded. It got better and better the more you read. Unusual characters coming into the story who you want to know more about and the romance between characters who will she chose and who is the good/bad guy? Can't wait for the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars DArk waters, 4 Mar 2013
Brilliant a must read, it grips you at the very beginning and you can't stop reading till it's finished. Gripping