5.0 out of 5 stars " Does the Job A+"
Much has been said regarding these capture devices good and bad , after much reading and being a complete novice I purchased this converter from EZCAP which I received within 24 hours of the order being placed.

Published on 2 Feb. 2012 by A. Glidden

1.0 out of 5 stars Really POOR
Published on 18 Sept. 2012 by Jay-Jay

5.0 out of 5 stars " Does the Job A+", 2 Feb. 2012
A. Glidden (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EZCAP.TV 116 EzCAPTURE USB 2.0 VHS to DVD Converter. Capture & convert video from VHS, Hi8, All Camcorders, DVD player, Satellite TV, etc. Capture xbox360/Wii/Playstation 3 in full colour. Upload videos direct to YouTube, convert for mobile device or make a dvd. Stream live with Skype, MSN, etc. Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 32/64 bit, Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later (Electronics)

This one came in a red box which I assume is the latest version as the previous model is pictured in in an orange box and has been reviewed many times here on Amazon .

I am running Windows 7 64 bit system .

In the instuctions in the box it does say there may be a slight problem regarding the installation of the audio driver , which there was but the instructions were clear and to the point and after a few clicks the driver was properly installed and I was ready to go.

The VHS tapes I was trying to convert to DVD were found recently and contained family footage having been made some 22 years ago.

The capture device (USB Video grabber ) is supplied with 3 female line connectors attatched (left and right audio and video out also a S video mini din )

Therefore in is important that you purchase the required phono connecting line cables and a switchable scart/line adapter if you do not have them already.

After the the installation of the editing software is installed and the old WORKING vcr was set up all was ready.

After 30 minutes or so trying it out I was ready to try it out for real.

A 3 hour vhs tape will require at least 2 DVDR discs I would probably suggest 80 minutes or so recording time per disc.

The process works in real time to begin with so 3 hours of footage is going to take 3 hours to get saved on your pc so plenty of spare hard disc space is required. your project can now be saved IMPORTANT.

The built in ARC Soft editing suite is very good as you can edit ,cut out ect what you want before the dvd recording begins .

It will also tell you the size of the recording ready to go , the common size of most discs is 4.7gb I had nearly 9gb of video ready but as I had my project saved I was able to spend much time editing this and in the end put it all on three discs.

The possibilities are endless whith this great device and the editing software supplied and for under £20.00 is a bargain .

The viewer pane quality is not a 100% but that is neither here nor there and it does tell you that in a popup.

Also fast forwarding your vcr causes the viewing pane video to freeze during the capture process but that is nothing at all.

IMPORTANT NOTE if you have the record protection tap removed on the cassette tape itself you will get an error message
" COPY RIGHT PROTECTED CANNOT RECORD " simply go back to the old days and put a small bit of cardboard in the hole and a bit of cellatape now it will record okay .

To sum this product up I am very very impressed and the picture quality of the DVD`s made are terrific .

Obviously there is much much more this product can do and much time could be spent with it regarding different formats ect .

If you simply want to get VCR tape footage from a VCR which is only one of the sources it can handle this is a must buy and great value .

My EZCAP product has paid for itself already by resurrecting just one priceless vcr tape so far .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - outstanding support from supplier, 14 Jan. 2014
Let's face it- video and audio editing software is complex. I have been using this kind of application for many years and it can be often a case of trial and error to get it to work properly. When a piece of software does not work properly it may be you, the computer platform or the product you have just bought that is at fault. This is not an uncommon scenario. What is rare is that the company from whom you have bought a solution bends over backwards and more to ensure you get it working as quickly as possible. I bought EZCAP and connected it to my old Sony Analogue cameras. I followed all of the well-written instructions yet had a problem with the sound quality of the conversion. Within a short space of time I had a helpful and realistic set of suggestions to follow from the company and when this failed to resolve the sound volume problem a new unit was promised together with an adapter to join two phono cables together to form a single output from the analogue [mono] source. Imagine my surprise and delight when 1. the replacement arrived by express post the next day; 2. the replacement unit worked perfectly on first connect, and 3. the vendor thoughtfully provided a postage paid return for the old unit. Thank you Scott of EXCAP. You have shown me what a truly professional Internet selling business can and should be like. I promised you a good write-up and I hope this helps. To anyone seeking to convert old analogue or digital video recordings from Sony C, VHS tapes or similar, this product works. And what is even more reassuring, if there is a problem, there is someone at EZCAP called Scott who knows how to make it work. Go buy this piece of kit secure in the knowledge it will do what you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bit of kit and works perfectly, 6 Jan. 2013
GT (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Product Price = great value for money
Product Quality = very good
Product Packaging = professionally and well packaged, inside a sealed, foam-protected box
Product Functionality = Works great and does exactly what it says it does on the box
Product Instructions = Written instructions are included for both hardware and software which are in easy to follow English. There is also a 15 page PDF manual on the installation CD

Installed successfully and hassle-free onto a 'Windows 7 Professional' clad laptop.

Very pleased with the Ezcap 116 and the supplied capturing and editing software.
The installation; using the instructions supplied was quick and easy and worked first time with no problems. Video capture worked perfectly and sound quality is as good as the original donor compact VHS tape. The supplied Arcsoft ShowBiz 3.5 editing software works brilliantly; it is basic, but does what it has to, to produce a video file quickly and easily. I already have Serif Movie Plus 5 editing software but I will not be using it because Showbiz 3.5 does the job far more easily, with less complications and also but more importantly, far quicker. For example after video capture and editing stages had been completed, a 32 minute converted video took more than 12 hours to produce a standard MPEG4 file using Serif Movie Plus 5. The same file took only 62 minutes to produce using Showbiz 3.5 and there was absolutely no difference in the produced video file qualities.

I would definitely recommend this piece of kit to any one that, like me, wants to convert and preserve precious memories from fragile 20+ year old VHS tapes, and at a price that's less than 3 packets of cigarettes these days I think excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, easy to use, a good buy!, 26 Mar. 2012
I must say that it does exactly what it says on the box, setup is pretty simple as long as you follow the instructions provided, and an problem I encountered is you must install the drivers on the admin account!

I did do some pre-research before buying this as other cheaper capture cards called 'EasyCap' are on the market, however it is stressed enough on the website stating they are FAKE, please buy this for just a few more quid.

The capture quality is decent, but I wouldn't expect 1080p quality, as you will be spending in your hundreds for one of those, and with arcsoft it is easy to edit, but I would recommend getting a better editing programme if you want to upload to YouTube.

I'm really glad I purchased this and if you want to see examples of the quality go to my YouTube, [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product, 30 Oct. 2012
I bought this product so that i could transfer footage from a Sony DCR TRV355e camcorder, this camcorder records footage on to Hi8 tapes. In the box you receive there are two leaflets, one contains common support questions and the other provides information on the product as well as how to install the software that comes with the product. It also provides an overview of the product and screenshot instructions on how to install the ARCSoft ShowBiz software. Once you have installed the software, there are also screenshots on this manual which show you how to capture video/record and edit the video and also how to save/convert and upload a video. Overall the manual is very easy to understand and should be a big help if you encounter any problems.

Product Description:

Next the product is quite small and can fit onto your palm, the product comes with 4 cables as you can see from the product image, these are all female so you will need to purchase male RCA cables. if you are thinking about transferring old VHS tapes to your computer, then you will require the following things firstly you will need this:

Scart Adapter Switchable Plug to Socket: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00077DC6A/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
( this will plug into your video player)

5 Metre 3 RCA plugs to 3 RCA plugs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00136X2YG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
( you will need these so that you can plug one side into the adaptor above and the other into the product)

Installation:

To install the product i inserted the CD and then followed the installation wizard that appeared, once the software was installed i then setup my camcorder. In my situation my camcorder already had these (red,yellow and white) cables so all i needed to do was connect the camcorder cables to the product cables. Once i had done this the video that was displayed on the camcorder was also showing on my desktop. The software then asks you to set the time that you want it to stop recording from the camcorder. As i did not want all the film on the camcorder i set a specific time for it to stop recording. Once this time was up, my recording was then a video file and was displayed in the left hand side panel. I was then able to edit it remove unwanted parts.

Encountered Problems:

I had a problem where i was recording from the camcorder and there was no sound. i had a look at the manuals provided and found that i had to change a setting in device manager. The section that provides this information is located in the support questions manual and it is under the no sound or sound distorted with windows 7 section. Once i had followed these instruction, my problem was solved.

Customer Service:

I have to say that the customer service for this product is excellent, i encountered a problem and sent an email, i received a reply swiftly and the person even took the time to find a link for the product that i was looking for on the internet.

Overall i am very happy with this product, i hope this review is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent results and outstanding customer service, 13 Nov. 2014
Stephen May - See all my reviews
Super fast delivery, straight forward set up and excellent results.

Found some old tapes in a box at home. I knew that our old Sony handycam had died many moons ago. So went onto eBay and found a replacement. After some research I discovered that EZCAP was a highly recommended method to transfer my tapes to my computer.
Soon after I bought the EZCAP I received a reassuring email from EZCAP offering support if I needed it. And as a MAC user I was directed to a link to download the software needed to run the transfer, as new MAC’s don’t all have a CD drive. (A disc is included for windows users).
I plugged the cable from the camera into the EZCAP device which I in turn plugged into my computer’s usb port. The EZCAP software guided me through the set up, I chose the default settings, but there are lots of variable for the techies, of which I am not.

And bingo there were scenes from twenty years ago playing on my computer screen and being saved on my computer. I have since exported the videos as mp4’s so that I can play them on an iPad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, 31 Jan. 2013
My first impressions of this device are that I like it. It is well packed and well made. There was a driver issue to start with, but nothing that a quick visit to the EzCap.TV official forum didn't sort out in a jiffy. The software seems pretty competent at capturing and making it reasonably easy to edit footage once captured.

I am sure the absence of glitches in the picture or sound in recordings is partly dependent on the user having a reasonably capable computer and also stopping unnecessary background tasks, such as anti-virus. Just be aware of that before you start capturing, especially if it's a long capture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had some problems - EZCAP sorted them out, 6 May 2014
I initially had problems with getting the device working - I could not find any reference to drivers for Mac.

I requested a return and EZCAP got in touch with a link to the files I needed, they installed in seconds and the device was working as soon as the machine restarted. Excellent service made even more excellent by the fact it was 8:30 in the evening.

Device works brilliantly - it copies video in quickly and cleanly - exactly as it should.

Very pleased with the device and customer service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really POOR, 18 Sept. 2012
It wasn't a pleasant experience at all; in the beginning the CD that comes with it didn't install (with the anti-virus disabled) the first 10 times or maybe even more my drive didn't recognise it... Afterwards whilst capturing the video clips it kept on cutting off with copy right infringement (there were only family tapes), later found out there is a software problem with that issue which created so many endless breaks to the actual clip that made my editing even longer to put them back together again and then I had to rectify it by changing how the software behaves in its command files.

Anyway after 3 months I decided to upgrade my hard drive to an SSD, I couldn't install the software nor the drivers again, it's just did not recognise it at all (tried countless times). Went on their Ezcap Tv website where I couldn't find anyhing that would have helped my situation, I then instead contacted Amazon with all of these issues and they asked me to return it so they could refund me, which has taken place already. Thank you Amazon!

Now I have the Sweex USB Video Grabber, which has a 12 warranty if anything goes wrong and it comes with a AV Cable where it doesn't with Ezcap (had to buy it separately).

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 23 Sept. 2012
We bought the ezcap.tv the convert our old vhs tapes to video and found it to be an excellent product, easy to set up and use and got very good results. These tapes are twenty years old and converted much better than
we expected. We would recommend...