on 8 June 2013
I used to do a lot of dressmaking but with the decline of fabric shops, stopped about twenty years ago. I recently found a number of good fabric and pattern venues in my location and had the notion to start sewing again. The problem with making your own clothes is that they are difficult to construct unless you keep trying them on, for the fit, which can be a problem especially when trying to get the hem even. I purchased this dummy, which I have to admit, I was rather sceptical about; the price being so reasonable and the recommendations saying that it was 'polystyrene'.

The company supplying It texted me several days in advance to let me know of the proposed delivery so I could plan being in to receive it. It arrived in excellent condition, being well packaged and was easy to construct. The height is adjustable and it is lightweight. The 'body' is actually covered in a fine black material, so does not look 'polystyrene'. Although the size is not adjustable, the measurements are true to the 8/10 size and the clothes that I have made so far (five skirts and three tops) all fit me perfectly after fitting them on the dummy.

It may not last for a very long time but considering the price, I think it is excellent value. I keep it in my living room, where I do my sewing. Friends have actually thought it was 'part of the decoration of the room' in keeping with the black throw on my sofa!

It looks good, works well and I'm thrilled with it.
on 28 January 2013
Trust me for 38pounds this is as good as it can get. Its definitely a nice mannequin i was a bit put off by the fact that there was only one review but trust me its a good product i found the setting up easy and everything looks really nice
+s
its made of real wood
the sizing was right
the delivery was between two days as promised
its easy to move around
-s
its a bit loose at the bottom but that should not be much of an issue
when setting it up some wood began chipping

All the same remember its 38pounds compared to the 100s people spend :) im a beginner this is a good starting point when i become a pro i will definitely change it
on 5 January 2016
I've read comments on here saying this is not suitable as a dressmakers dummy because it is not adjustable. The truth is it is perfect as a dressmakers dummy. Many designers in fashion houses use one-size, non-adjustable mannequins/tailors dummies (they just tend to have some with retractable shoulders to slip garments on easier). But granted, they are making sample sizes so their tailors dummies will always be one size. The thing is, adjustable dummies usually part down the center and waist which is where I usually need to pin fabrics most times!
The sizing of this dummy is accurate for me (I was dubious because the last dummy I bought somewhere else was supposed to be 8/10 and turned out to be 12/14). I thought I would wait to make something on the dummy before I left my review and I have already made two pieces (a playsuit/romper and T Shirt dress) and made all my patterns based off the sizing and shape of this dummy. They fit really well! I would say it's great for creating any dress pattern you want without having to rely on store-bought patterns. This dummy has been wonderful for my creativity.
So, as this dummy is one-size, it's perfect if you're making clothes for yourself in a set size, but should you need to make them bigger if you make clothes for others or your weight fluctuates, draft a pattern on the dummy first in the dummy's size, and then use equations to make your sewing pattern bigger (known as pattern grading. If you need help, you can look this up for further explanation), which will allow you to cut out the right size pieces with the right dimensions and make multiple sizes turning it into a size 12/14/16/18 and so on.
If you don't want to pattern grade, then mannequins can be padded out; just remove the cover, pad out the mannequin where you need it (a larger bust, waist, hips etc), place the cover back over it and you have a customised size. Also, if the dummy turns out a little too big, the polystyrene/polyurethane allows it to be sanded down slightly to take off inches should you need to. I discovered this because my mate bought a mannequin recently, the bust was a little too big so she sanded it down lightly with fine sandpaper and smoothed it out while keeping its shape. It wasn't drastic but it was enough to shave a couple centimetres off and match her bust size measurement. Just be careful to use equal motions on left and right sides of the dummy so it stays symmetrical with equal measurements on both sides and don't deform it! The shaping is perfect so keep the shape! Remember that you can't return it afterwards! Hope this helps :)
on 17 December 2012
Bought this for daughter who is into dressmaking, loved it and already getting good use out of it. Great value
on 6 December 2015
Good size, right shape. I am a always between a size 8-10 and this is great for me.

The polyurethane is amazing as it is stronger and not as flaky as polystyrene. Works great to pin material too.

The adjustable pole is really handy and the finish on the wood make this good even as a decoration when not in use.

The only nit pick i have is that one of the legs was a little loose even when fully tightened so if i used too much force it had a little wobble. But i remedied this with a little DIY.

All in all, a very useful tool for any budding seamstress. Couldn't do without it. Makes my projects so much easier.
on 20 May 2014
I personally found this dummy to be too big for a size 8. I wanted to 'make do & made' some of my old dresses but couldn't get them around the shoulders or up over the hips : (
on 6 April 2013
I bought this as I needed something simple to help photograph fashion accessories. It's not hugely sturdy but that's not an issue for me. It's light and easy to move around.
on 23 June 2014
The product is exactly as described and as you see in the picture. The size was perfect and the height can be adjested. It takes a tiny bit of assembly (legs) but it's simple; no fear :)

The inner material is that expandable foam sanded down so it's lightweight. I can't wait to use it! Just got it this morning, 6 days before the estimated time of delivery. Amazing seller.

You won't be dissapointed!
on 16 June 2016
Product on its own is good and and useful but there was a problem.
One of the dummy was not complied properly due to a tight screw which was tight due to the paint on it.
It was difficult to get that dummy standing and we had to use several supports to keep it standing while we were running an exhibition.
I suggest that a complete quality check should take place before sending the orders to the clients.
on 9 June 2016
Arrived quickly but when I went to put the stand together the wood pin on the legs that fits onto the main stand split. This was sorted with wood glue but not ideal and to prevent it happening on the other 2 legs washing up liquid was used to help push the pins in as they are very difficult to insert. Also this is a very small 8/10 mannequin as the jacket I was using it for does not fasten around the body.

See one answered question