5.0 out of 5 stars Featuring Jimi Hendrix, McCartneys (Paul & Mike) & More...
Published on 16 Mar. 2012 by Greywolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not essential
As a Jimi Hendrix fan I brought this CD because Jimi plays on 2 tracks on this album, So Much and Ex-Art Student. The song So Much has a magnificent riff that really takes the song on a psychedelic ride that I really enjoy.
Published on 11 Oct. 2012 by Buyer of CDs/DVDs & BluRays

5.0 out of 5 stars Featuring Jimi Hendrix, McCartneys (Paul & Mike) & More..., 16 Mar. 2012
Greywolf (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: McGough & McGear (Audio CD)
For an old 60s hippy psychedelic music-freak like me, this is a real treat. Released in early 1968 it made very little impact at the time. Had it been released the previous year, with Sergeant Pepper and the Summer of Love vibe still fresh in the air, it would probably have fared better. If the record company had been able to say who plays on it that would have helped as well. Why? Well, how's this for a line-up? On guitars: Jimi Hendrix, Graham Nash of the Hollies, Dave Mason of Traffic and Andy Roberts; on bass: Paul McCartney, Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Paul Samwell-Smith of the Yardbirds; on drums: Viv Prince of the Pretty Things, Gary Leeds of the Walker Brothers; on keyboards; Paul McCartney; on backing vocals: several of the above plus Jane Asher and her mum; on sitar: Jimi Hendrix. Yep, that's right, Jimi plays both lead guitar and sitar on the closing track, a magnificently rambling psychedelic freak-out called 'Ex Art Student.'
At the time of recording, Paul McCartney's brother, Mike (McGear), and Roger McGough had established quite a reputation for themselves as performance poets on the Liverpool scene and beyond, partly through their band, Scaffold, partly through repeated airplay by DJ John Peel on his pirate radio show, The Perfumed Garden. This LP was their attempt to make a more 'serious,' poetic record than the duo felt was possible with the Scaffold. Mike asked brother Paul to help out on the musical side and he largely produced the recording sessions. These took place in London in the late summer of 1967 and became a drop-in centre for 67's psychedelic gentry. Due to contractual obligations, however, the album sleeve simply refers to this all-star line-up as "Musicians."
It would also have boosted album sales if, as planned, 'McGough & McGear' had been the first LP released on the Beatles' Apple label. Setting up the label, however, took longer than planned, so it was released on Parlophone instead.
The album itself is a combination of pleasing psychedelic pop songs, interspersed with poetry readings to sparse musical accompaniments, notably exerpts from Roger McGough's poem cycle, 'Summer With Monica.' Of the pop songs, the most commercially catchy are the opening track, 'So Much,' featuring some neat Hendrix guitar work, and 'Do You Remember,' later re-recorded by the Scaffold, though I think this Paul McCartney-produced version is better. 'House in My Head' is downright weird in a very 60s way, while 'Ex Art Student' is a fantastic nugget, capturing all that was wild, strange and glorious about the Summer of Love, especially in the free-form jam session in the middle, where Hendrix double-tracks guitar and sitar. I'm not sure who plays flute along with Hendrix, though I'm guessing it might be Traffic's Chris Wood.
All in all then, a genuine neglected gem and a joy to have it on CD at long last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not essential, 11 Oct. 2012
This review is from: McGough & McGear (Audio CD)
The final track Ex-Art Student is one of the strangest stereo mixes I have ever heard. The first few minutes I thought there was a serious issue with the sound, a phase out of sync. The sound moves all over the place, certainly one of the trippiest sound mixes out there, rivals The Grateful Dead Anthem Of The Sun. jimi And Dave Mason with some other guys from Traffic extend the song with some great guitar and sitar work. This section is trully magnificent and reminds me of Electric LadyLand also from 1968.
The problem I have with e remainder of the album is with the big use of poetry that McGough and McGear used with some at times lovely acoustic musical backing. It's very dated to my ears, doesn't grab my attention.
As nice as these poetic moments are they just don't hold up the album as a whole.
One disappointment is the lack of information who actually 'did' play on these sessions and each track, a huge opportunity wasted that I really hoped would solve many questions. It's still far from comprehensive.
Another shame is no MONO tracks were included as this album is also mixed in MONO and is very rare in that format.
The lettering on the booklet are also very hard to read being very tiny font.
I am impressed with the inclusion of a paper sleeve to house the CD in the cardboard sleeve.
Overall this CD is a worthy adition to any fan of Jimi Hendrix but as a whole it is not an essential Album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost Opportunity - Not the Original Mix, 21 Oct. 2012
Sir Elias Dee "Doctor of Phanerothymology" (My physical being is on the earthly plane) - See all my reviews
This review is from: McGough & McGear (Audio CD)
Anyone who has heard the original album will know that the superb "So Much In Love" features mind blowing phasing effects. You won't find that here though as this is the re-mix that came out in the '80s. Great album but a missed opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have it on CD, 7 Mar. 2015
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: McGough & McGear (Audio CD)
Way back in 68 or so, then I was but 11 years old, my Dad came home from work with two very unusual LP's for me, 'You Are What You Eat' soundrack and this one. Frankly, I was far too young for both, but this one especially holds a very special place in my heart as it was played so much (on very suspect groove-grinders) and eventually was ruined (a huge shame as good condition examples of the vinyl is quite valuable I understand). The CD came and went in the 80's but thankfully it's back and I had this disc as a very much appreciated Christmas present.

It's so long since I last tried to play my original record, so I cannot speak of any 'remixing' that may or may not have taken place, but the music and poetry itself has stood the test of time well and of course I've lived many years since and the considerable amount of water that's passed under life's bridge has helped me to understand the poetry more and the feelings it expresses. I can't go into reams about it, as there's a great 'blurb-review' piece in the CD jacket (and LP sleeve) which says it far better than I.

So, to the original artists - Many thanks for recording this in the first place and thanks to whomever for having this re-issued :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars English poetry with extraordinary collaboration.3,5 stars., 2 May 2013
Ivan rubinic (Island Hvar,Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: McGough & McGear (Audio CD)
I will be short.If you into prog,jazz,psychedelic,hard rock or maybe experimental music than avoid this album,but if you like old English humour,poetry or groups such Temperance Seven,Scaffold,Bonzo Dog Band,Grimms or maybe Liverpool Scene and Monty P.don't miss this rare album!They were:Roger McGough,Mike McGear(A.K.A.McCartney,younger brother of Paul),
also Paul,Jimmy Hendrix on one or two songs,Graham Nash,Dave Mason with sitar,Gary Leeds,Viv Prince,Paul Samwell-Smith,McCartney's girlfriend Jane Asher sang some background vocals and Wib Bennett with flute on a couple songs.There's no credits on original LP from Parlaphone!CD is from Real Gone Music in a digi-pack edition.All in all,nevertheless not bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable Summer., 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: McGough & McGear (Audio CD)
Looking back, for those who were mid teens in the late sixties, each year of that decade had got better and better - and many of us have since amassed a huge amount of music from that period. Occasionally though, the odd album may have proved elusive and, for me, this was one such. Although only peripheral to the mainstream classics of 1968, this had stuck in my mind over the years, and I was delighted to find it had been reissued. Many tracks capture the whimsy of the period combined with good production values - given a helping hand by Paul McCartney - but the strongest, including Summer With Monika, are minor classics. Well worth adding to the collection of anyone of a certain age (I'm 62).

5.0 out of 5 stars liverpool music, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: McGough & McGear (Audio CD)
I like Liverpool music i have all the Beatles cds,black,cilla black,cast, coral,echo & the bunnymen,Julian cope& teardrop exsplodes Frankie goes to Hollywood,billy fury,George Harrison,billy j kramer ferry & the pacemakers icicle works john Lennon, paulmccatney Ian mcnabb,Ian mmcllouch,omd ringi start & the real thing

McGough & McGear
McGough & McGear by Mike McGear (Audio CD - 2012)