on 5 November 2009
500 pages of closely packed Gimpformation, not bed time reading but written in, as far as possible with the subject, an easy manner, logically laid out with a good index. Aunt Doris has been removed from a number of family photos and inserted into some not so family photos .
on 24 April 2015
I've been using Gimp for many years now, having read the odd tutorial online, or article here and there explaining how to do some particular quirky thing. Akkana Peck's book is absolutely wonderful - even though it's based on 2.4 (which was about current when I got the book), it is still relevant for the current 2.8 release. The book takes you through the features in a reasonably logical way, and shows you what can be done with each of the features, using realistic worked examples which are presented in such a way as to also suggest lots of other ways that you could use those features.
I'm still only scratching the surface of what Gimp can do, but this excellent book is a most helpful and reliable guide along the way.
on 8 October 2009
This is a fine book, illustrated clearly throughout and easy enough to follow. It is substantial too, a weighty tome which teaches by example. Freeware image processing software, like GIMP, deserves this kind of support so I am pleased to have bought the book.

Buyers should be aware that the book was written for GIMP version 2.4 and the current version is 2.6 at the time of writing. However, there is a chapter at the back of the book highlighting the differences. To be fair, these are not substantial anyway and, in any case, GIMP's online support pages are also out of date.
on 31 December 2015
This had to be the best value item I have ever had from you! 557 pages of expert image-editing information, practicals & explanations packed into a vary readable tome in immaculate condition for just £2.50 and sent all the way from Las Vegas, Southern Nevada to my home in West Sussex for just £2.80. A total of £5.30. Amazing!! Thank you very much.
on 30 June 2011
Extremely useful, great reading or just use on an as need basis. Step by step instructions with photos a no brainer in my opinion a must have book for all those interested in Gimp or any similar program for that matter as the concepts of what you what to achieve are well indexed.
on 15 January 2010
Excellent book, the author takes things in a logical sequence, interest is maintained by a fairly light hearted approach without missing essential detail. Would recommend this to anyone wanting to get to grips with the GIMP.
on 5 January 2011
I recently downloaded GIMP version 2.6 onto my MAC OSX. I'm a total beginner and found this book difficult to follow as some of the features the author refers to have been discontinued in version 2.6 e.g. Toolbox menu.

I'd imagine if you are a PC user, it would be easy to follow as this book is primarily aimed at PC users for GIMP version 2.4. I look forward to an updated version of the book, which will takes into account MAC users
on 2 January 2010
I am pleased with the product. It is a bulky tome but all the info. is in there.
on 3 October 2010
The book does what it says. Instructs in easy to understand terms how to use Gimp, my but it is for earlier versions not 2.6 which is what I have recently installed. It's pretty much the same, needs deciphering a little to use it for 2.6 but it is useful to cover the basics.

Also, I bought this thinking it was Gimp for Dummies! NOT. But as it has the same black and yellow colour I just clicked on it on Amazon - my own fault, should have had the glasses on.

Honestly? It may have been a great book before 2.6 but now it is more useful if you have an older version. But it still is an easy to understand, well written book. No criticism on that.
on 2 March 2011
There was a three-four week wait for this product which I wasn't expecting. But it came as described and is excellent value. Good if we are advised of time element at the start.