on 6 November 2012
Where to begin?

As other reviewers have pointed out, there's clearly a lot to read. All 788 pages of it.

Unlike other reviewers, however, I hesitate to recommend the services of an editor to do some judicious pruning. Having neither the talent nor the time to create a work on this scale, I am reminded of the following dialogue from the movie, Amadeus:

EMPEROR:
My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious.
It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all.
Cut a few and it will be perfect.

MOZART:
Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

And that's because the novel reads well from start to finish. Given the author's background in writing short, sharp copy for newsletters, it's hardly surprising each page flows smoothly to the next. Having to re-read a sentence or a paragraph is a rarity.

The main characters are well rounded human beings that one can relate to. If Derek Olsson or Alison McGuire were to cross the street, I would probably recognize them, such is the familiarity engendered over the course of the novel.

The same applies for the villain of the piece, Frank McKurn, a credibly nasty piece of work, without the caricature of wanting world domination (outside of Australia, at any rate).

It is left, however, to a tier two character, Karla Preston, to deliver the best lines. And these are the expressions of Mark Tier's libertarian view of the world, which force a re-think of conventional wisdom and appear, unfortunately, far too infrequently in the work. The discussion on the morality of taxation is priceless!

Other noteworthy aspects include the gripping reality of the fight sequences and the palpable sense of fear readers share with the main characters at key moments throughout the narrative. As the action moves through various locations, these are described with a flair that paints a vivid mental picture for those who have not had the pleasure of visiting any of them yet - especially the Australian locales.

Where the novel truly shines is in the clinical dissection of politics and, in particular, Australian politics. It could comfortably serve as a primer for first year University students embarking on an education in Political Science (although there are likely to be some interesting debates on the instructional value of the multiple references to Alison Maguire's bosom).

On balance, this reader would recommend 'Trust Your Enemies' ... especially on an eReader!

Kris W
India
on 9 August 2012
Mark Tier's Trust Your Enemies is a superbly written political and suspense thriller. Although it is set in the Australian Parliament, it could so easily be any western government. Well developed characters are truly brought to life in a fast paced action packed political tale. I just couldn't stop turning the pages.Highly recommended.
on 16 July 2012
This is one of the best books I have ever read. It is fast moving and a real page turner. I never thought politics could be made so exciting. The characterisation is excellent and I was really sorry when the story ended and "my friends" departed.

The plot believable and the moral dilemmas bang up to date. A speech by one of the main characters towards the end was inspiring. I recommend this book whole heartedly.
on 11 April 2012
This one will be a movie before long. Great set of characters whose trials will have you thinking about them even if you do put the book down.
on 24 December 2012
Politics in Australia made very interesting reading.Kept our interest.Would recommend.How much of it was factual? Corruption seems to be everywhere.
on 11 October 2013
It seemed to be a very long novel, (I was reading it on my mobile), but interesting, diverse. The hero got out of so many impossible situations that my disbelief was having a hard time staying suspended. Also the write-up described the novel as being akin to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy - had they read them??? This story is nothing like. But for that I might have given a fourth star!
on 7 May 2013
Took a while to get into the story. Once I did get into the story, it was an interesting read and I wanted to see how it would end. I felt the development of the main two characters was very good, but some of the decisions and thinking attributed to some of the characters was not believable. I thought the story was good overall, but lacking some realism in places.
on 26 June 2014
This book was downloaded to my Kindle. The story is fascinating and from the first chapter the reader is led into a story that is a must read. I would reccomend thsi book.
on 5 October 2013
Brilliant political thriller. Enjoyed reading it immensely. Twists and turns all over. Would highly recommend it yo those interested in political drama.
on 30 September 2012
I found this book along and drawn out . Parts of the story weren't dearly needed could have told the story in about 2/3 of the book