5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tiny Router
I wanted to use the router as a repeater, so I can only share my experience about this mode. I was getting a very weak or no Wifi signal from my BT Homehub router (upstairs, front of house) in my kitchen extension (downstairs, back of house). I live in an older house with solid walls. Now I have a very good connection with my Nexus 7 tablet in my kitchen, and can stream...
Published 21 months ago by G. W. K. Cheung

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT buy this to extend wireless network
I got this TP-Link Range Extender to do exactly that - extend the range of my wireless network at home. But I've been very disappointed with the results.

At home my wireless coverage is patchy at best. Even in rooms above where the wireless hub is located wireless coverage can be drop out whenever it choses - which is very frustrating.
However, this...
Published 11 months ago by A. Sinclair

‹ Previous | 1 2 377 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Guide to use could be better, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter with USB Charger (Personal Computers)
I had to look at the online guides to see how to set it up the way I wanted, which was slightly annoying, but once it was up and running it worked perfectly and I've had no problems since.

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT buy this to extend wireless network, 16 Aug 2013
A. Sinclair (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

However, this product is not the solution (in my opinion), as whilst it made the wireless coverage more stable, the speed of the connection was terrible - very, very slow.

Also, the instructions that come with the nano router are awful. They tell you to skip the first step if using the extender function, yet to setup the device you need to follow the first step on the instructions, as this is the only way of connecting to the device to make an changes to the settings.

So not only is this device a pain to setup due to poor instructions, but it does not improve my wireless range or speed. I'm guessing that by offering so many feature in one, they have ended up with a middle of the road device that does not do anything particularly well.

All-in-all, I'd say that this is one to avoid for extending your wireless network.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device, Useful For University Residences!, 12 Jan 2013
C. Mac Allister (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I wish I had bought this device sooner! I moved into a university residence complex of apartments in September where internet is supplied only by Ethernet, which left me with the problem of not being able to use my Android phone or tablet online.

After some searching I found that the TP Link 702N was the device I needed; when the package arrived I couldn't get over how tiny the device actually is, and come with a flat short Ethernet cable and a mains plug that can also power the device by USB if you so wish. Setting up is effortless, you don't have to go near the admin panel of the router if you don't want to, plug in and play, the device itself is preconfigured as an access point, which is the function I require. Setting up on my devices was a matter of entering the default password found underneath the device on a sticker, although it is advisable to change this through the routers admin page; as too is maybe not broadcasting the SSID if you don't want anybody snooping on your network.

In summary this is a brilliant device with so many functions for the price, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little gadget, 20 Dec 2012
S. Stone - See all my reviews
I bought this to act as an ethernet to wi-fi bridge, to connect various devices around the house to my wireless network. I have previously used powerline adapters but to get enough for what I wanted was going to cost more then 100, so thought I'd give this a go. The first device I wanted to connect up was my Sky+ HD box.

Opening up the box for the router you find the tiny blue box which is the router, a USB cable, a flat ethernet cable, a 3-pin mains adapter, a small (and I do mean SMALL) manual and a mini-cd apparently containing the software. Configuring the router was really quite straight forward. You do not need the CD at all, and there are several reports of it not reading properly, but this is not a problem. Simply connect the router to your pc or laptop with the provided ethernet cable and ensure that you connect the usb cable up too.

Now, this is the only tricky bit - First, find out the IP address of your broadband router - a simple way of doing this is to hold down the windows key on the keyboard and press 'R'. In the box that pops up, type 'cmd' (without the quote marks) and press enter. In the black box that pops up type 'ipconfig' (without the quotes) and press enter. Lots of info will come up when you do this, but the bit you are interested in is the 'default gateway'. Make a note of this ip address.

A you will need to set your PC/Laptop to a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.10 (as an example). For the uninitiated, this is done via your Network settings in Control Panel (for more info on this see Windows Help). Now open a browser and type 192.168.0.254 and press enter and you will see the router configuration screen.

Now, the first thing to change is the IP address of the device. This needs to be in the same range as your router. Find that IP address you made a note of and change the device IP address to match, apart from the last bit. So, for example, if your router IP address is 192.168.1.254, you will need to change the device ip address to (for example) 192.168.1.253, i.e. the first three bits of the address match. It's a good idea to make the last digits quite high (but less than the maximum value of 254!!) as this will keep it out of the DHCP range for your broadband router. When you have done this, make a note of the device's new ip address you have just given it and press SAVE. When prompted reboot the router.

Now go back into network settings and change your PC/Laptop back to `obtain an ip address automatically'. You will now be able to connect to the device using its new IP address.

From here on configuration is simple. If you are using it as a bridge as I have done (i.e. to connect wired devices to a wireless network), select `bridge' in the device mode settings. Then use the `Survey' button to find your broadband router. IMPORTANT - make a note of the `channel' your router uses as for some reason this is not automatically assigned. Select your broadband router, set the channel to match and select your security settings Uusually WPA PSK) and enter your router's key/password. Once this is done, save and reboot the router and Voila!! You can now unplug the device and use it to connect any device in your home or office to the wireless network.

I am massively impressed with this little bit of kit. For 16.99 it is a very affordable way to connect wired devices all around the home, or to use as a wireless AP as described in other reviews. Extremely reliable so far and nice and tidy. Cannot recommend highly enough. The only (very minor) niggle is the lack of proper documentation but there is enough to get you started. Already bought another one and about to place an order for another three!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Ranger Extender & Set Top Box Adapter, 6 July 2012
TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano Router.

Amazing, small but a very powerful product.

My parents have their Sky Broadband Router upstairs so they have always struggled to get the wireless internet in their Kitchen and the back Garden. Having looked at many products I came across TL-WR702N Nano Router which offers 5 Different Set Up Modes; Access Point, Client, Bridge, Repeater & Router for Cable Modems (Virgin Cable Broadband) for fraction of the price when compared to the other similar featured products.

Out of the 5 Modes you can set up this router as; I have set it up as a Repeater Mode in my parents house, which not only works as a Wireless Ranger Extender, (extending the wireless range of the existing internet/network) but it also allowed me to connect my parents SKY+ HD Box via the Ethernet Port using the Ethernet Cable so my parents could utilise the SKY+ Anytime Services. Baring in mind SKY charge 60 for a similar device.

My parents loved the device because it is neat small and good looking enough to blend in well with the other electronic devices beside the TV. Now this Nano Router sits beside my parents TV working as a Range Extender whilst the SKY Router sits up stairs and at the same time allowing my parents to utilise the SKY Anytime+ Services. I couldn't have asked more from this tiny little product.

Also, whilst in the Repeater Mode, using the Ethernet Port I have also tired other multimedia devices such as BluRay Player, Samrt TV, Freeview+ Box, Wii and my NAS Hard Drive and they all worked great and soon I will be buying one for my self.

Well done TP-Link for making our lives easier without a huge price tag :)

The manual shows you how to set this device up in Repeater Mode which is really easy & simple to do but for those of you who prefer video based instructions see the YouTube link in the comments below.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life saver!, 11 July 2012
We turned up in our rented holiday home in Cornwall which did indeed have broadband as advertised, but NO WIFI. Disaster! It had a BT Voyager 220v router that I think Noah used. Anyway, the iPads were effectively useless, and without a mobile signal so were the Blackberries. I found this little beauty on Amazon. It arrived, I plugged it into the router, and it just worked. I found the wifi network scanning with my Blackberry, put in the password from the back of the router (written in tiny letters) and that was it. I have connected 2 Blackberries, 2 iPads and an Apple TV. I am also now the official family hero.

A couple of other thoughts. I didn't have a PC with me so I chose this device as it was cheap and didn't need configuring. The wifi range is good, I get a full signal upstairs. It says it is a 150 Megabits per second device and I think the fast ones are 300 MBS but I am not techie so can't really comment. It's fast enough for watching YouTube and surfing the net. A sticker on the box says it is for cable which confused me as I thought it meant cable TV modems, but it works just fine with the BT broadband router.

Overall delighted and amazed at how easy it was to fix our lack of Wifi. I Googled how to add Wifi to the BT Voyager 220v router and the answers looked very complicated and involved configuring routers with IP addresses which is way above my pay grade and I don't have a PC on holiday. The answer was so much simpler and just needed me to spend 25 on this.

Did I mention I was happy?

2.0 out of 5 stars Not working well for me in a permanent set up., 18 Dec 2013
OK, this is a cheap device, but it's annoying me hence a 2 star review.

First of all, it took far too long to get setup on my LAN, and I'm not inexperienced with network devices. The GUI is one of the worst I've seen and I'm convinced it sometimes doesn't save settings when it says it does.
I updated to the latest firmware (it shipped with what seemed to be a very old version) and saw little improvement. Newer firmware seems to have different default admin passwords and even a different access IP address too, which meant the instructions were wrong, so I had to waste time Googling the new settings (without getting too bogged down in detail, my version shipped with a default IP of 192.168.0.254, and the newer firmware defaults to the more common home LAN range of 192.168.1.254 - this would cause novice users a headache).

Once configured, it seemed to do the job, albeit with a fairly weak range. Expect to access your wi-fi in adjacent rooms but not much further than that (I realise it is marketed as a nano router, so have not marked it down because of this).
Speed is also not bad - consistently faster than my old Linksys wireless g router.
The size is nice and tiny, I can hide it underneath my wall mounted TV, which is why I bought it in the first place, to replace a much larger router.

The main glaring issue I have is that I've needed to power cycle it half a dozen times in the last three weeks or so since I bought it. Sometimes the SSID shows up but once connected I have no Internet, other times the SSID is completely gone. The only fix I've found is to reboot it (yank the power cable for 10 seconds). This wouldn't be a problem I guess if you use it as a travel device, only powering it on when needed, but if you need to leave it on 24/7 I'd advise against this device.

If this router was marketed as a travel device only I wouldn't have bought it, or given it such a harsh review if I had. However, the sales blurb says "The worlds' smallest router - ideal for home and travel use" - and in my experience it isn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant item, terrible instructions!, 20 April 2013
R. Fairman (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I had read up on this little network adaptor well before I bought it, and although a few other Amazon purchasers had problems, I thought, 'It can't happen to me, can it?' Well, not at first.....
Out of the box this connects up and provided a signal that my laptop linked onto and held without issue, and for most people this is what they probably need. I however wanted to use the Client mode, and that requires entering the setup menu, and herein lies the problem. The instructions simply say to connect it through an ethernet cable, and use a browser to go to 192.168.0.254 (its own page) but you cannot. It will not find it, and here is why dear reader....
After some searching, and finding many people stuck as I was, I stumbled on a secondary page on the TP-Link website with fresh wording. Essentially you must first set the ip address of your computer to a stationary address, and it suggests 192.168.0.10. Following these instructions allowed me then to access the menus at 192.168.0.254 and to set the Client mode running, adding the SSID and network key for my existing setup, and bingo, we're in business!!
Why could this need for a stationary ip address on the host machine not be mentioned in the instructions with it?? I spent an hour with a perfectly working item unable to access it, pondering on a return for sake of a few lines on a sheet of paper.
Currently running my old Netgear MP101 music server, fautlessly. I am sure some must have been returned for this sad omission, but if this review helps one person get their unit working, that'll do! Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for hotels, 23 Jun 2014
A. Elliott - See all my reviews
Clever little idea that allowed me to convert a hotels "free" wired internet connection into a wifi connection that my phone and ipad could use.
There are other things this does (like act as a repeater for your existing wifi I think) but I haven't tried any of those.
It's well made, feel sturdy, the connections all fit well.
Plus, the USB connection for charging your tech mean one less plug to take away with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excllent piece of kit, does far more than you think,,,,, 30 May 2014
I bought this in 2013 to enhance a wired-only internet connection into a wi-fi hotspot for a group of three of us at work. It worked a treat but then I hadn't used it for a while.

This year, I recently bought a second hand YouView box which requires a cabled internet connection for the on-demand services and which will not accept a simple USB wi-fi dongle. My box is also nowhere near the router.

A search online pointed me to various Ethernet bridges at a cost of between 40 and 70. But one article mentioned that this device has several modes and the one I needed to switch on was "client" mode. After 2 minutes of searching, TP-Link's excellent online instructions (ignore the pdf manual, it's rubbish) told me exactly how to activate this mode and it worked perfectly first time! I now have the full range of catchup TV with no subscription and not having had to use any expensive kit.

Brilliant!