5.0 out of 5 stars Good starting reference, 10 Dec 2012
I needed a comprehensive reference as I had no experience of Javascript. I took five books out of the Library, and this was by far the best that I found. When the lending period expired and I had to return the book, I decided that it was worth having my own copy. I dip in and out of chapters and I feel it has helped me a lot. Javascript is not an easy language to learn, and other books were not as helpful for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-written companion to JavaScript, 1 Dec 2012
Athanasios Kontis "Kickaha79" (Thessaloniki, GREECE) - See all my reviews
This is a thorough and helpful guide to JavaScript language. Although its target audience is mainly web developers, all people with a basic understanding of programming may benefit from it since JavaScript is such a forgiving and loose-typed language.

Organizing a vast arsenal of objects, methods, properties and differences in major browsers' implementation (e.g. IE, FF) is not the easiest task to tackle. However, in my humble opinion, the author makes a sincere and successful effort. To that end there are many helpful tables and figures which either consolidate the relevant pieces of information or provide a graphical analysis of a complex subject, like for example the 'Prototype Pattern'. Also, common pitfalls and helpful hints are provided in abundance and pointed out in conspicuous bordered frames throughout the book.

The most helpful element though, are the succinct and to-the-point examples of code that follow each and every discreet section on a specific subject. Wherever there are possible ambiguities or peculiarities of the language, the author provides more than one example to utterly dissolve them. In most cases one can follow only the given snippets and understand completely the subject at hand, since they are almost self-explanatory.

Finally, this book provides an analytical table of contents at the beginning and a powerful index at the end, which allows for granular keyword-based searches. Finding what you want is almost as easy as hitting the Ctrl-F button to open a typical search field!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 17 Jan 2014
I have only recently purchased this book, but right from the beginning it explains really well the different aspects of Javascript. As a PHP developer I wanted to know more about Javascript and so far this book is perfect, far better than other books that I have read.

It is ideal for someone with experience in programming including Javascript, as it does go into more advanced Technics later in the book, but also great for someone to gain a better understanding of Javascript.

This is not a book for someone who has no prior knowledge of Javascript or other programming languages, especially if you have only a basic knowledge in CSS and HTML

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch!, 7 Feb 2013
M. ELIE LABECA BENFELE (Bushey Heath, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Almost read the whole thing, and all I have to say is, look no longer, if you've been on the lookout for a decent book on JavaScript, this is certainly it. I'd even go as far and say I'll probably re-read it all over again just for the sake of it. I wouldn't particularly consider it a reference, I'd say David Flanagan's definitive guide might suit the description better. It shows, the author clearly grasps the subject and knows how to deliver it in a comprehensible and pleasant way. You'll read this book on the commute and back and surely won't be caught dozing off as Nicholas' writing-style is no short of captivating. Clear and concise explanations, meaty content, all you've been waiting for in a JavaScript book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This language is forced upon me but the book is good., 5 April 2014
I am currently building a web-site, and to put Paypal buttons on it, I have to understand JavaScript.
It is not a language that I like (I still prefer C++ to C# but have to work with C#).
This book seems to get the basics across clearly, and still have lots of in-depth theory and harder examples, so that I will not be floundering. And the price is very reasonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 24 Aug 2013
just want i needed & exactly as described. everything about the transaction was easy & the book was want i was looking for

5.0 out of 5 stars very thorough, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Kindle Edition)
Everything I need to know on javascript! The book is well structured andn the author did a thorough job. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed, 1 Aug 2013
T. Mein (Olive Grove Villas, Chorafakia, Crete) - See all my reviews
I am approx. half way through this book and there are times when he delves a little too deep (for my level of programming skills) but overall an excellent book where things are explained very well. I have not tested all of the code strings in the book so could not say whether they all work correctly, I prefer to experiment with code that suits my current project.
Would recommend this book to people that have basic programming skills that wish to improve themselves, not sure about people that are new to programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, 10 July 2013
A gold mine to learn Javascript. Clearly written with a lot of examples. I love this book. Last but not least it is no boring at all to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars JavaScript, the browser and all that internet stuff, 31 May 2013
This book gives a deep insight on how web has evolved into an amazingly powerful communication medium, from a technical perspective. More than a definitive guide to programming in JavaScript, Nicholas C. Zakas gives the reader a detailed and exciting insight into how the browser has revolutionized computer programming.

Zakas emphasizes that together, JavaScript, CSS and HTML5 allows curious minds, without formal programming training, to create powerful, scalable, interactive websites and web applications. He provides the reader with a detailed framework through explanation and examples that allows you to build up a picture of how all these bits fit together.

A remarkable book. Clear. Progressively revealing the information you need to know, and it is well illustrated by example code. Zakas writes in a clear, effortless style - maybe the Mozart of technical writers.

Professional JavaScript for Web Developers