4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my old GO720 but less add ons
Published 20 months ago by Mr. Alan Nash

3.0 out of 5 stars o.k. but touch screen poor response
Touch screen is very poor, really need to press hard to get a response.
Display screen good and exit lane info very helpful.
Published 14 months ago by Jim Tyson

3.0 out of 5 stars o.k. but touch screen poor response, 14 July 2013
This review is from: TomTom Via 125 5 Inch Sat Nav with Western Europe Maps (Electronics)
Touch screen is very poor, really need to press hard to get a response.
Display screen good and exit lane info very helpful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Voice on phone is very bad, 14 Nov 2013
When using phone the voice and volume is very poor, nothing like as good as my old go 710 model

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my old GO720 but less add ons, 1 Feb 2013
Mr. Alan Nash "Alan" (Woodford, UK) - See all my reviews
My old Tomtom GO720 served me well, but the internal rechargeable battery gave up. Tried replacing but broke my old faithful. The VIA 125 is better in almost all respects except an external aerial and remote control are not add on options. I drive a London taxi and like the tomtom mounted low on the dash. My old GO720 I had a permanently fitted holder with the external aerial wired in. The GO720 unclipped by press of a button to remove from cab when parked. Also the remote is easier to enter details than prodding the screen.
Speed Camera Database. I subscribed to the speed camera database, which will be the same for the whole range of tomtom's but sadly this is not as up to date as my "out of date" as my old Road Angel Classic, which I was hoping to abandon but I now have to rely on both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to use, 10 Aug 2013
mollyeyre (Leicestershire UK) - See all my reviews
I am happy with TomTom generally as I am used to the menus etc, having used them for years. It was a bit of a a struggle sorting out the updating system, partly because of Windows 8 (grrrr!), and partly because I needed to reset the firewall permissions. It still isn't wonderful, but I can usually get there with a bit of twiddling

Update April 2014
Having succeeded in linking to my PC without problems, (no doubt my fault not that of the TomTom) I am updating the stars to 5, this does everything I need it to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom Via 125 5" Sat Nav, 18 May 2014
It does all that it says a very good piece of equipment. Used it in UK and France even recommended it to my sister as there are a couple of things this will do and her other make will not

3.0 out of 5 stars Sat nav does the job but........., 28 Feb 2012
First a bit of history....I bought a Binatone sat nav.....that was ok but had very confusing voice instructions. I then bought a Garmin. That had very good voice instructions but the mapping system was awful, so bad that Halfords agreed to change it to.... a TomTom!

TomTom are meant to be the best in the satNav field, so why am I only giving this three stars? (and I was actually debating about giving it only two stars)

Well, the mapping is good, easy to follow and produces usable routes, which the Garmin was hopeless at. It also allows multi input of 'Way Points'. This allows you to alter a route to suit your needs by inputting points that you want to vist along the route. The Garmin failed on that as it only allowed one way point per route planned. (Believe me, on a long journey, or perhaps if you are wanting to visit a couple of places off of the SatNav route, multi way points are a must - unless of course you actually enjoy frequently reprogramming your SatNav.)

Sadly the much hyped Junction view is sporadic, on a trip along the M4 in Wales it showed junction view for only about half of the junctions. Not really a problem but it would be nice to be able to rely on this featute for every junction so that when you do go into a complicated interchange you can be sure it will lead you through it with the junction views.

Also, I am now back to the voice instructions of the Binatone, telling me to turn right or left, not for a juncyion but for SOME bends in the road. I've put 'some' in bold as that is important. If it did it all the time, you could learn to ignore it but as it's sporadic when it does tell you to turn, you automatically look for a junction. OK this may not be a problem on rural roads when it is self evident what it is trying to tell you but in a built up area, very confusing to the point of actually making the SatNav a liability.

Why do SatNav manufacturers feel that drivers are so moronic that we need to be told which way to turn when the road isn't going straight ahead? Quite honestly, if you need to be told which way a bend is going, then you shouldn't really be driving.

So, would I recommend this unit? To be honest, I'm not sure. I hate things that promise much but don't deliver and to me that sums up this unit. I want it to be consistemt in it's route directions and I want to use all the features. Because of the 'turn left, turn right' stupidity I switch off the voice, so there's no point in having it.

Oh, one final thing, TomTom Website, loads of stuff there but virtualy nothing that you don't have to pay for. Garmin....Loads of free stuff.

You learn by your mistakes, this unit excels over the garmin in one way only, it's route planning. At the end of the day, that is what a SatNav is all about. IF I ever buy another Sat Nav my two questions will be 1-How Many way points can it handle, and 2- Does voice instruction restrict itself to sensible instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Sep 2014
great product great price

4.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't yet get got me lost!, 20 Nov 2013
John (SWINDON, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
One reason I bought this was the free lifetime maps update offer plus a community-based map correction system.

It replaced a 2 year old Garmin which was getting increasingly confused and I wasn't willing to shell out a lot of money on a sat nav which liked to use road names instead of numbers. The Tom Tom is much better in that respect although reading out "A four thousand three hundred and sixty one" takes more time and is less comprehensible than "A four three six one".

I've docked a star because there seems to be a battery self discharge problem - it will drain itself if left unused but turned off for a month, which is neither good for the battery or convenient for the user.

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what I was expecting, 7 Oct 2013
Tom tom via may not be the best on the market but it is great value and suited me perfectly

1.0 out of 5 stars very, very disappointed, 22 Jan 2013
I bought the tom tom last year and within a couple of months, it was malfunctioning. My job entails going out to customers to quote and the satnav is indispensable. Without warning, the map screen would disappear and a whole range of pages would pop up with tick box options, refusing to go until i had ticked the various options (again and again!). Every screen except the map screen would appear and even shutting down and re-starting had little effect. The shop I bought it from agreed to take it back and send off to be fixed but i would need to buy another in the meantime, to be refunded when the first returned. OK. I did this and went off with my 2nd tom tom. Within a week, it was doing likewise except this time became completely unworkable insisting on putting in a random selection of letters and numbers whenever i tried to type in a postcode, effectively stopping me using the device. An absolute nightmare. On one particular journey, the loss of it cost me my appointment and an important sale. The satnav nearly ended up in a field, i was so frustrated! No more tom toms!!