on 18 March 2014
On this the 25th anniversary of the WWW, this book is a well written view of history and also puts the WWW in its context today. I recommend highly.
on 11 October 2012
a part history of the internet and how we got to where we are, and part contemplation on the direction that the internet should go in
on 10 September 2013
Thought provoking but reassuring. The IP issue in chapter 8 is worthy of some consideration but the lawyers will hate it
on 5 January 2012
I read a draft of this (truth in advertising, I know the author and he asked me to take a look) and I like the pitch a lot. I remember a dinner party in 1984 (yes, that year) when I was a bit tipsy and I told everyone there that their world was gonna change and the Internet was going to do it - they all looked at me as if I was barking mad. One of those people at the party went on to manage a TV company that has a big online presence, another ended up at a major posh english newspaper editing material which is mostly seen online, rather than in print (old joke, What's black and white and "red" all over). Another releases videos and music via myspace (well, she used to - its probably spotify or some other channel by now).

So this is about how and why.

Its a timely reminder of the relative impact of affordable mass produced print, and the effects of virtually free distribution of information to 2/5 of the world's population. Indeed, anything sufficiently viral in the interweb (old Ab Fab joke) will then be recycled by traditional media anyhow, so you'll probably get to 4/5 of the world's population with something genuinely interesting (e.g. a combined solution to climate change and recession:).

The author is a great writer and communicator, and the book reads very easily. Even for some old git like me whose been working on the technology (and its use) since, um, 32 years ago, this is a good read. For the intended audience (the woman upstairs on the clapham bendy bus?), this is excellent.

I think the culmination of the work, the hopes and fears for what the Internet may bring, is a great cultural contribution and alone makes the book worth buying.
on 4 July 2013
Need to look no further in my case. My parent are nearing 65 yo and as opposed to me, a lot of the inner part of how computer and the internet works (on a theoretical level) are absolute alien to them. I was trying to explain the challenge representing the internet to the society as a whole.

I could have recommended 'The Pirate's Dilemma' by Matt Mason (The Pirates Dilemma Capitalists Millionaires but then I saw the interview of the author of the present book ([...] and it did convince me that he was going to do a better job for people from an 'older' generation.
on 16 November 2013
A potted history of a selection of technologies from the 14th century to the present day - nothing insightful, no detail and little referencing except to other journalistic books of this type i.e. no scholarship, nor originality. If you have read the same eight to a dozen books you may come to the same non-conclusions. More like a assemblage of adricles or essays for a Sunday colour supplement and so targeted at the reading age of a 14 year old, or at best an undergraduate in their first year of .... well, I'm not sure.
on 10 October 2014
next day delivery, i love it!
on 17 June 2015
Fascinating read.
on 29 December 2013
This reads like a selection of copied and pasted Wikipedia pages linked together by the most unspectacular observations this side of the parody Twitter account "@PippaTips". The writing and analysis is amateurish - akin to an unedited freshman-level essay.