Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

Rory Gallaghers work sort of exists just under the radar, so to speak. It is always there and loved with a passion by his fans, yet rarely seen mentioned in print these days unless someone is listing of their influences, or favourite guitar players.

This new from the analogue masters reissue series ought to delight the hard core fans as they address and correct some issues, too much reverb, new mixes, new stereo placings that were made during the previous conversion to cd. Donal has got the team to go back to the final Rory mixes and freshly digitise them using the latest equipment in order to produce what could be described as the best sounding cd versions of Rorys small but incredibly potent back catalogue. The new issues also come in a neat cardboard foldover sleeve along with new sleevenotes

Rory plays a blinder on this particular outing. I always felt that having Lou Martin in the band helped fill out the sound during Rorys solos and that Rod de'Ath had a bit of swing in his drumming that loaned the music a lighter feel than the heavier rock three piece of later years.

Anyone who is fan of the guitar gets a real feast of then here, acoustic, slide, electric......all played by a master musician.

Every Rory album has something of interest, even his supposed worst albums have lots to enjoy, so this classic is essential listening.

Superb.
on 24 October 2008
This is, of course, a biased opinion. I first went to see Rory Gallagher live, at the Caird Hall in Dundee, when this album came out so it was the first album of his that I owned. In those days I guess we all had a bit less money so an album purchase was a more considered thing. As a result this was one of about 20 albums I had for quite a long time and the only one of his, although I had a friend who later had Against the Grain and another who had Live in Europe, I still heard this most.

I heard him play all the tracks from this album live and most of them several times. Hands Off was a live favourite along with Walk On Hot Coals so the songs here are key to its strength as an album but there is also the brilliant guitar playing with a balance of serious and comic, Unmilitary Two-Step always brings a smile to my face.

He always seemed genuinely happy to be playing when I saw him live and all the evidence is that this was when he was most alive, but I have a lingering sadness for the man off stage. He clearly had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, which ultimately killed him, and I always wonder about his personal relationships. His public face was that of a hard working, hard drinking musician who was well respected by his peers and I guess that is all I, or anyone, needs to know. The music he left behind is wonderful and this is a great place to start. I will always think of this as the ultimate Rory Gallagher band but I now have all his albums and I would urge you to investigate some more, the man was obviously driven to make the music he so loved.
on 30 December 2007
This,alongside TATTOO and the live albums,is Rorys finest album.Rory had developed into one of the great blues based rock guitarists from playing in Taste[unfairly classed as a poor mans Cream].I was lucky enough to see the great man from county Cork regularly at the Marquee Club in London and many other venues including when he blew everyone away at the 1970 Isle of Wight concert.
This album sees the introduction of Lou Martins keyboards behind Rorys excellent guitar,whether its electric or acoustic.Daughter of the everglades is a personal favourite of mine.Rory never released singles and turned down the chance of joining the Rolling Stones to continue his gigging and releasing fine albums.God bless him.
on 13 July 2011
Gallagher's fourth album originally released on vinyl in 1973 and re-released in 2000 with two additional tracks -`Stompin' Ground', and `Treat Her Right'. The re-release is part of Gallagher's younger brother Donal's project to reissue Rory Gallagher's entire catalogue augmented with additional tracks that has been widely welcomed.
`Blueprint' is important for two main reasons - firstly, Gallagher expended his trio to a quartet by including Lou Martin on keyboards, and secondly, the album contains some of Gallagher's best songs including the opening track, Big Bill Broonzy's `Banker's Blues', and the classic `Hands Off', that would go down a storm at various gigs. Gallagher also played mandolin and saxes on the album that saw Gerry McAvoy's flatmate drummer Rod de'Ath replace Wilgar Campbell. Nearly forty years later the album still sounds good with Gallagher's impressive musicianship shining through.
on 6 April 2004
I first discovered Rory Gallagher listening to Taste albums (On the boards etc) This album Blueprint is second to none for showing off his amazing skills on the guitar and his sublime vocals.
If you want proper blues with a kick this comes highly recommended.
on 3 February 2016
Having lost my original copy of 'Blueprint' a number of years ago and only replaced it now, how I appreciate it again. Having discovered Rory about the time of the original release its freshness comes through. Having always thought Rory a great live performer(having seen him twice) I think studio album concisely sums up Rory's expertise with perhaps less self indulgence which can creep into live performances. I have listened to Rory as a 3 piece and a 4 piece and the 4 piece wins every time with a much fuller, richer sound especially on slower numbers. I could pick a few favourites out but this album gives such a great cross section of his playing I wouldn't know where to begin just buy it you won't regret it. Having listened to many guitarists over the last 50years I still return to Rory so RIP you were the best.
on 30 August 2011
A brilliant purchase at a bargain price. Every track was a belter nothing more to add. except to say just brilliant.
on 10 February 2014
Its Rory Gallagher, its brilliant, I've bought everything I could get my mitts on that Rory recorded, I play it constantly and its always fresh, exciting, different, every time I listen even to the same song I find something I didn't find the time before, the man was a complete genius, taken much much too soon and could have been so much more brilliant than he was. I can't praise Rory Gallagher highly enough, I'm hooked 100% on the man and his music, don't hesitate - buy this album
on 7 May 2012
The new 6 re-remastered CDs are a must for every Rory collector. They were mixed with love and you don't miss the mistakes from early mixes. I listened to all the disc through my headphone and must say: amazing sound. You will love the new mixes as well and yes, you can sell your old cds, even the remastered mini-lp-cd set from Japan do not have this quality! With this 6 CD-set a new era of Rory Gallagher just begins. Hopefully the rest will be done also in the future!!!
on 17 April 2014
As someone who discovered Rory Gallagher just a couple years ago I have been determined to buy his whole collection. With that Blueprint was one of those albums. I was unfamiliar with most of the titles, but as I have listened to the album a couple times it is a pretty good album. I would buy it again, and will always recommend a Rory Gallagher album. Not my favorite, but a good album.