on 10 January 2012
I loved the use of language in this book and the descriptions of survival in the two lands. Admittedly I did get a little lost at the beginning when I wasn't entirely familiar with some of the terms in the way that they were used, but I feel this pulled me further in. For instance the bulls, you don't get a description of them until further along. Other dangers are also hinted and were not described early on, which means that you, along with the character, are never entirely sure what dangers may be lay lurking around the corner. However the words used; `the slither', `the bull,' `the wet' and `the dry' are all terms that can be easily related to and give freedom to the imagination.
The book in many cases forces you to gain a very different perspective on ownership, the definition of home and the relationship between the land and the people.
The book ended leaving allot of questions unanswered, which is a devilishly easy way to get you to want to buy the next book when it arrives.
Recommended for budding young adventurers.
on 22 December 2014