on 28 February 2012
The desktop was damaged when received (replaced, no problem) - clearly a general fault as the same desk ordered from a different supplier arrived with very similar damage. Other than that, although not the best quality, the desk looks good and is more than adequate for the purpose. For the price, this is great value for money and looks much nicer than similar-priced items we considered. Typically unhelpful instructions, but it all went together well. Very happy with the item.
on 25 May 2013
Was a bugger to put together and had to get a friend with muscles to finish putting it together( two women hadn't the strength lol ) and it looks lovely now assembled. I used bees wax on it and its stunning and well worth the money. I wouldn't advise a beginner to attempt to assemble the desk.... Much too difficult!
on 12 August 2012
This a very good value item, good enough for me to buy two - but not from the same seller. Buy this item if you want a really solid functional PC desk. It's not easy to assemble using the instructions supplied, which are quite poor, but step back and view it as a big wooden jigsaw puzzle and it all goes together without problem.
I needed two but fortunately only ordered one from Worcester Furnishing; fortunate because I asked for an invoice and the seller just ignored me. I asked a second time and left it a week but he still ignored me. I wondered, what if I had a real issue i.e. parts missing etc. - this would be a disaster so I bought the second item from another Amazon seller. Cheaper and by contrast to the first seller a genuine trader.
on 9 July 2012
I bought this very sceptical that it would look cheap and nasty but I was hugely suprised! This came flat pack unfortunately no instructions but after contacting the seller they bent over backwards to get them to us quickly, once made I was so pleased I will be buying more from this company of the Corona furniture, it is great not cheap and nasty just cheap and wonderfull, very sturdy, must admit though for extra sturdyness we glued all the joints. I will be recomending this company. My friends who have already seen it are well impressed with the desk and how reasonable the price was too.
review image
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2012
This desk was delivered on time and was well packed. As it is solid wood the box was very heavy so we had to split it open to move it. The desk was a bit tricky to assemble but once built looks fine. It is a good solid piece of furniture and looks as though it will last. Plenty of space to spread out on the work top. The drop down secret drawer on the front, presumably for a keyboard, was a surprise but no doubt will be useful. Very good value for money.
on 20 November 2013
After reading some of the reviews I was tempted to look elsewhere -glad I didn't. I have no idea how much influence the seller has on these kits because I don't think they are anything other than imported ready to go. Having said that if the quality is down to the seller then Mercers Furniture get 5 stars from me.

All of it was present and undamaged. I would suggest if you receive damaged goods then it's down to the shipper because the damned things are really heavy for one person -usually all you get on a delivery lorry. I spotted mine arrive and saw the guy staggering up the drive, and so ran out to help.

I unpacked carefully and laid it all out. The instructions were fine. The only thing I would say is that you need to really carefully look at the diagrams of hinges carefully to make sure you get them on the correct way -it's a bit difficult to visualise which way the door will go when its a pile of pieces.

If you have experience of building this type of thing then you will have no problems at all. All the starter holes are in the correct place all the dowels are the correct size and all the holes are perfectly drilled. Really, as an experienced assembler I had absolutely no problem at all and took just three hours to complete. I didn't need a craft knife or a drill, just a good cordless screwdriver and a small hammer -no glue.

The finished item is excellent, my son said wow and it isn't often a teen will say that. From an adult perspective this is fine quality stuff, well prepared. Just follow the instruction pages section by section, if you look carefully and complete each section you really will be fine. There was only one part that I deviated from the instruction sheet and that was assembly of the drawers. I slid the base board into the grooves on 3 sides before I screwed anything together. I just wanted a sure way of knowing that the grooves were lined up before screwing.
I have a feeling my other son will want one.......
on 21 November 2014
Thought it might be worthwhile to let everyone know what life is like with one of these after 18 months or so
Bought ours to furnish a new home office and to be honest this isn't a computer desk.
More an overly-complicated dressing table - it isn't very big and isn't very easy to assemble

Assembly is tough - nothing fits and had to throw away the keyboard drawer as there's no way to fasten it in
Still have a piece of plinth that's way too long to fit anywhere
Took a pencil and paper to work out how to get the drawers to fit
It's a seriously heavy bit of kit - make sure as in my case you have a big, rugby playing son to help you push it together as trying it on your own is impossible. This isn't for wimps or beginners

After 40 years of practice I pride myself on being able to knock together the odd bit of flat pack furniture in an afternoon no matter how poor the instructions but not this baby. Had to resort to drilling my own pilot holes and even supplying my own screws. Really,really not impressed

After 18 months though it's standing up well and has even been moved to a new house in one piece so that can't be too bad - or is that a testament to it's builders?

To be fair IF (and it's a big IF) you can put it together it's a pretty heavy, solid unit that will take the odd knock. Once fully assembled it weighs an absolute tonne. It is solid wood and the desktop especially is very,very solid - the sort of thing the Vikings made their longboats out of

Don't be fooled by the dimensions though as it isn't that big- put a large computer monitor (15"+) on this and the desk is full with very little room for even an elbow which makes it a tad unusable as a real desk

I'm also a little disappointed to see that since I bought one the price has actually gone up when it should really be plummeting in the opposite direction due to the poor instructions, missing or disjointed pieces and difficult assembly

Although it's doing ok I wouldn't buy another and regret buying this one

You build...you learn...you avoid...you buy something else just as daft
on 9 April 2014
NOTE: If you open the box from the side, you'll find some low quality wood panels first, as if the product was broken. Don't be alarmed, those thin panels of wood are there solely for protection purposes.

The desk looks very nice. Assembly doesn't require two people but you'll get through it much faster. Also you will be moving and flipping it around, so help is recommended.

It works very well as a computer desk but consider that the top is narrow at just 50 cm. I am using monitor holder arms to save space and as such have enough free area for my keyboard and the mice. If the monitors were standing on their own feet I don't think I could put the keyboard there. Speaking of which. The tray in the middle has a door like thingy that's on hinges. It does not open all the way down so you won't be able to put the keyboard on it. Your wrists would rest on the edge of the wood. Not comfy.

All in all, I love the desk but you'll need to make sure it's deep enough for you.
on 2 November 2014
A truly magnificent piece when assembled.

Seeing that pine is a soft wood, as well as using wood working adhesive on all component parts I fitted 38mm zinc plated L shaped brackets at the top of the inside of the four side panels at approximately 7.62cm in from the front and rear of the panels, making sure that they do not protrude above the top of the panels.

This has increased the strength of the unit if it is lifted by the top by two people to be moved around as there is a lot of weight in both the pedestals even without the draws.

This was my 13th piece in the corona range all purchased from Amazon apart from a 4'6" glazed Buffet Hutch. The stability and strength of all Corona units benefit from all component parts being glued as well as screwed. I carried out the same procedure with the desk as with all other pieces in respect of assembly, colour and finish which I have outlined in previous previews.
on 26 February 2015
As many have said, it is a very good product for the money and looks great

However - equally, as others have said, there are issues:

1. Quality control is obviously not great - had to get the desktop replaced as very poor bit of wood was used.
As Ive had four items from this range (different sellers) and three had parts that needed replacing, it is obviously a quality control issue with the manufacturer. The sellers, however, all seem to carry stock of spare parts (a testament to the quality control issues?)

2. Assembly was okay - the instructions arent the best and do leave you scratching your head a bit but you can get through it. Sometimes a bit of brute force is required as some holes arent drilled correctly but you can get round it.

Summary -

For the money its a great product that looks very good if you dont get a damaged bit or can wait for a replacement.