5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically priced cctv camera used as a baby monitor
Published 13 months ago by James W.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good - once it's set up
Published 22 months ago by Jaspa

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically priced cctv camera used as a baby monitor, 22 Mar. 2014
I purchased this camera as an alternative to buying a branded video baby monitor and was not disappointed! This came in about a quarter of the price of some of the baby monitors and is a lot more useful as both myself and my partner can access the live stream from our mobile phones (1 android, 1 iphone) or laptops. The quality of image is more than adequate for our needs, we don't use the audio as we have a separate audio only baby monitor with better quality sound, however it would be ok to use if we needed to.
Setup was straightforward, the instructions in the documentation were clear and there is decent scope for you to tweak more detailed settings if required. To access the camera using phones you need to get hold of an app from the apple appstore or googleplay - this however is easy, free and the app is simple to use (and allows you to change settings and control the camera): no problems with either of us and the apps.
One great feature is that it automatically changes from regular video to infrared as light levels drop. You can also setup preset video positions if you need to monitor different areas and want to flip between them easily (good in a room with two cots).
It is also possible to setup alerts when the camera detects movement and it will email you still shots when movement is detected - I initially used this as an additional alarm (as well as the separate audio of the baby monitor) to alert me to baby moving, however it did seem to be a bit sensitive as I received alerts when there was nobody in the room (I put this down to shadows moving and changing light at that point of the day) and therefore deactivated this feature. One word of warning: if you do setup the email alert on movement remember to wear clothes if you walk in front of it to deal with crying baby in the night, otherwise you get a nice emailed picture of you naked in nightvision!
In summary a great product delivered promptly that lets us keep an eye on baby without disturbing him and without being ripped off for buying a product marketed for babies.
Pros: Cheap, effective, adaptable (not tied to a video unit or operating system), can control the camera remotely, can get email alerts if it detects movement), can add extra units in future if needed.
Cons: No packaged ethernet cable (essential for initial setup to get the wifi working), needs to be setup near a power point (therefore some people might need extension cables to power it), no zoom function (as far as I can tell), audio is not as good as a proper baby monitor but is ok, quality of video dependent on wifi speed at home.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good - once it's set up, 18 Jun. 2013
I bought this camera in white for my son's nursery. So much cheaper than "official" video monitors. I already had one of these for home security so setting up this one was actually very easy, but if it's your first one, be advised, it's a nightmare. My first took about three days and I'd consider myself pretty tech-savvy. This product could be SO much better if it came with a decent set of instructions. It comes with virtually nothing, including the vital password that gives you access to the camera view mode through your browser. In the end all I had to do was contact Tenvis support by email (who were very helpful) and I got things sorted, but I only learned that after hours trawling through forums.

I'm running both of my cameras via Ethernet power line extenders for better stability, but also because I still haven't been able to get them to connect via Wi-Fi. They just wouldn't play ball so that's something to consider.

Now that it is up and running it's a brilliant little camera. The CamViewer iPhone app means I can check in on either of my cameras wherever I am in the world, at any time, as long as I have an Internet connection (even over 3G). The additional audio option isn't great as there's quite a lot of interference but it's only couple of quid to add it to the app functionality so worth having for the odd time you might want to listen in or even talk back through the camera!

Despite the setup nightmare, for the price you can't really complain, because once it's working it's great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated: 4 cameras, 3 fails., 11 Jan. 2014
So this is an update. I have four of the things, two revision 7 hardware models and two revision 10 (newer). The newer models have a number of changes to the way they talk to security software that renders them incompatible, but the bigger problem is three of the four consistently lock up and require a power reset to work again. This will happen within hours-days and renders them all but useless.

Avoid.

Original review:
Picture quality doesn't seem as good as the more expensive Foscam, but then I got two of these for the same price (almost). Build quality is ok, not great. Screwing on the wireless antenna on one unscrewed the antenna mounting from the camera. That's not great. Easy to fix.

The cameras default to 192.168.1.239:81 for reasons that are beyond me (Why no default to DHCP and 80 ffs??). The software provided on CD is rubbish and doesn't work (for me), but Tenvis have completely different software available to download from their site which does work.

On that note, there is a web site, and the web site has support and a forum in which people provide actual advice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for a beginner but simple enough for the price, 7 Sept. 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Not quite the right specifications to be a home security camera, but great as a baby monitor.

Depending on your router and operating system the software 'should' make setting up this camera a doddle. However that may not be the case for all, but those with a small amount of experience of configuring a router should have no problems with this.

The device defaults to wired DHCP and accessed via a web browser which is protected by a preset admin username and password. Once logged in you are presented with a page that asks you for the type of device you are currently using (Internet Explorer, Other browser, iPad/Phone etc), your choice will determine the layout and functionality of the web interface.

Picture quality of the camera is good in daylight to pick out detail however I only found the night vision to be suitable for viewing inside a room. This device isn't weather-sealed so can't be used outside and I found that pointing the camera out of a window at night only resulted in the IR LEDs reflecting in the glass, blocking all vision.

Camera motor functions worked well, giving a near 360-degree pan whilst being very quiet (low buzzing noise). The scan and programmable movement was also a nice addition.

Enabling wireless networking was again simple. You are presented with a list of all available wireless networks in the area, select yours and enter your wireless router's password and you're away (I did find that the wired connection did then stop responding at this point and
I could only use the device over wireless, not both. Note, depending on your router, the IP address of the camera may change as you switch to wireless which may mean changing the address in your browser to match).

Upgrading was simple, anyone with experience of upgrading a router's firmware will be able handle this; download the latest firmware from the manufacturers website, upload it to to camera via the camera's web browser upgrade page, press the upgrade button and wait for it to reboot. Simple.

Dynamic DNS worked with no complications. Each camera is given its own unique web address to allow the camera to be viewed over the internet rather than just your local home network.

Security is adequate. As mentioned there's a default admin username and password which SHOULD BE CHANGED AS SOON AS YOU LOG IN! Every camera will have this default user and password; all it would take is for someone to try combinations of the camera's unique name and the default credentials to gain access your camera over dynamic DNS.

The camera also allows you to add additional users with different level of abilities to choose from e.g. View the camera, move the camera, changing settings etc.

The biggest problem I have with the security is the lack of https. This doesn't matter when only used within your home network but it does when used over the internet as when you log in your password will be sent 'in the clear' meaning that your username and password is visible to anyone who might be listening. This could be resolved if you had your own server (RaspberryPi) running nginx to serve https and upstream to the camera but that quickly becomes quite advanced and an excercise for the reader.

Note: a sample product was provided by the manufacturer in return for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little item and great value, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Original Tenvis professional Indoor mini wireless wifi security CCTV IP Camera webcam baby monitor JPT3815/JPT3815W, 2-way audio, night version, PT control, iphone & android mobile view - White (Baby Product)
I bought this camera partly as a baby monitor and partly just for fun and it's great for both. i am really impressed with the picture quality and especially the night vision. In a pitch black room it produces a clear almost daylight black and white image. I had it up and running within 15 minutes with the cable hook-up. The cable doesn't come with it. It is now running via wifi and has never missed a beat. (Hint: I downloaded the manual from the Tenvis website before the camera arrived so was ready to begin immediately). During the day, I point it out the front window and watch the world go by. Don't try to look through a window at night, though, as the infra red lights just reflect back from the glass and you see nothing but glare. The only reason I give it 4 instead of 5 is the quality of the sound. It's very weak and "tinny" almost unusable but that may also be a fault of the speakers on my tablet. The pan and tilt work silently and it pans almost 360 degrees. All in all it's great value for the money and much better than spending a 100 or more on a baby monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless camera and excellent customer service!, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this camera to use as a baby monitor. As such I chose this model because it has night vision capabilities and can be watched from our devices elsewhere in the house. Another great feature is that the video can be viewed over the internet, brilliant for us as one set of grand-parents live abroad. This way they can 'check-in' on the new addition when they like.

The camera arrived securely packaged and with accessories to mount it on a wall or piece of furniture. The necessary software comes on a mini-CD and can also be downloaded easily from the Tenvis website. There are useful online tutorials to help you set up the camera, the Youtube videos are particularly good as you can easily follow the steps.

Unfortunately I ran into difficulties during set-up. First you have to set-up the camera with an ethernet connection to your router. If you have no experience of configuring your router you might find this tricky! Once this is done you unplug the ethernet cable and the camera should show up over the wifi network. After a few hours of trying to find the camera on the network I was ready to give up. It just would not register with my router.

Instead of asking to return the camera straight away I tried looking on the Tenvis forum, there seemed to be a few people having trouble setting up the camera too. I left a message and received a reply with a Skype username and a request to contact customer services using Skype. I was a little apprehensive of calling a customer service agent on the other side of the world (Tenvis is a Chinese company) but I really shouldn't have worried! The advisor took my details via Skype chat (phew no live conversation, great for asocials like me!) and had excellent written english. They asked me to install a small remote access program which they then used to find and correct the problem directly. All the while using the chat to ask questions or give instructions e.g. how far from the router is the camera? The whole process took about 20mins and was totally stress-free! Afterwards I simply uninstalled the remote access program and my camera works perfectly! The advisor really made the whole thing simple, compared to IT problems I have had in the past which require lengthy calls while a 'technician' runs you through their troubleshooting protocol from a to z. I wish there were more companies with this sort of customer centered service.

So although at first I had bought a dud the customer support at Tenvis has completely changed my point of view! With such a well made product, at a good price and with excellent help available I would not hesitate to buy from them again. I would highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for a camera for home security, monitoring etc. Even if you are not an IT wizard you can rest assured that you will get the help you need to make your camera work! I am so satisfied that it has pushed me to write a review on Amazon for the first time, if I could give more than 5*s I would! Enjoy your camera :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and performance from a budget camera., 23 April 2015
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This Tenvis JPT3815 Wireless IP WifI Network IR Camera (available in black or white) comes neatly boxed together with an adjustable mounting bracket/screws/wallplugs, power adaptor, network cable, mini driver CD and quick start guide. The quick start guide is quite well written and illustrated plus contains QR codes for downloading the Tenvis camera app. I tested this camera by installing it in our garage to monitor our cat as he comes and goes through the cat flap during the day and night. I connected the camera both wirelessly and then by a TP-Link Power line link to my BT Home Hub 5.

Out of the box the camera looks pretty well made considering its very modest price - before you get started do remove the almost invisible plastic protector over the lens as that will instantly make the picture much clearer! Tenvis provide QR codes to access their New Tenvis App for the iPhone, iPad or Android device - I recommend that you change the default passwords etc. for security reasons once you've set things up on your device.

The camera was easily detected on my iPad and Moto G smartphone. The picture quality is surprisingly good for a camera in this price range. In common with other cameras at night the IR view is clear but in black and white. The Tenvis App (New Tenvis) gives you control over lots of functions including tilt, pan, talk (you can talk through the camera from your host device and pick up sounds via the built-in mic), alarm, motion sensor etc. and you can configure the device to send email notifications by email to your device. You can also take stills and movies etc. from the camera and they can be saved to the Micro SD card which sits in a slot at the back of the camera. Overall, I found the Tenvis App worked quite well and there are a number of features to discover including a built in link to Tenvis Shopping with offers etc.

I've been using this camera for a few days now and I'd say it works pretty well, in common with most of the other Wi-Fi cameras I've used it works okay over Wi-Fi, however, for extra resilience I've found connecting via a network cable/powerline adaptor increases the reliability considerably. I say this particularly as we live in an area where there are often power blips and the wired connection makes recovery after one much more reliable.

In summary, this Tenvis camera does a lot pretty well considering its very modest price tag. Recommended.

(I was supplied with a sample for review purposes).

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets me keep an eye on the carport..., 16 July 2014
Stella (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'll be honest, I struggled to get this set up. That's probably got more to do with my lack of abilities with these sorts of things than the camera though. I took one look at the manual and lifted the phone to call a mate who knows about these things.

I know this is supposed to be an indoor camera but I've got mine rigged up to keep an eye on the carport and it's doing okay so far. It's not completely open to the elements, the carport is closed on 3 sides and has a roof, and the camera is sheltered so it's working fine for what I need. As long as there's a plug within about a meter from where you need it, it's possible to have it outdoors. Kind of.

I can't comment on the install as it was out of my hands but I didn't hear too much shouting and no tears were shed so it must have been okay.

It works great now that it's up and running. I just run it off the wi-fi so there's no cables and it's fed to the laptop which is on the other side of the wall that its mounted on and so far it's working a treat. The picture isn't too bad and even in low light conditions it's still easy enough to make out what you're looking at. I haven't used the sound functions as I don't need them so I can't comment on how they work, and I haven't tried the internet hookup either as I was told that would be, "a proper faff" but that's ok, I'm happy with the setup as it is.

It looks nice, it feels robust and it's quite discreet. I like it and I like that I can keep an eye on the car without having to rise from my seat. It seems competitively priced too.

*I was sent this complimentary product to test by the supplier*

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Reliability, 22 July 2013
A. Underwood (UK) - See all my reviews
Connected the camera on Friday from my local Post Office. Was well packed in a secure box.

I read the setup instructions, (and all the helpful comments in the reviews)and plugged it directly into my router. I installed the software and chose the setup wizard (it couldn't find my camera). I tried the Expert function (it couldn't find the camera either). I went to the Tenvis site and downloaded the latest versions of the software (still no joy)

On the base of the camera is an IP address, a port number, account ID and <null password>. After a bit of playing I was able to connect to the camera directly through my Internet Browser and a configuration page comes up. You ideally need to use IExplorer as some of the functionality requires Active X, although you can see video and access some of the configuration through Firefox.

I played with it for a bit connected to my desktop and then enabled WIFI and DHCP. It connected to my router OK (go to Network/WIFI in setup to see which IP address has been assigned).

I moved the camera to its new location and observed it from my desktop and android tablet. The picture was good and the frame rate not jerky.

I left it running overnight. On Saturday I struggled to connect to it and when I only got 1 frame every few seconds. To check if I had any issues with my WIFI I wired it back into my router. Still very poor framerate.

I powered it off for 24 hours and did a factory reset and lo-behold it worked for 5 minutes and then froze up.

Went onto Amazon, printed a return slip and it will go into the post tomorrow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent hardware, awful software. Requires some expertise (and luck) to set up, 24 Feb. 2014
Mr. L. M. Mcivor "Lee McIvor" (St Albans, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think my headline sums it up. The actual video returned by the camera is pretty decent, and it feels solid enough (for the price).

However, all of the written instructions appear to have been translated into English using Google Translate. The information on their website is just as bad, and it's pretty hit or miss to set up. I've worked in IT and related industries for over a decade, but my wife would have had no chance setting this up.

The interface of the software that comes with it is terrible, and the Android app they offer just doesn't work for me. There are 3rd party ones out there, but they're pretty shocking too.

The biggest failing though, that should be made absolutely clear on the product page here on Amazon, is that the audio capability only works when accessing the video through Internet Explorer! They make no apology for this when questioned on their online forum either.

So overall, if you're happy with setting these up with limited instructions and messing about with router settings, go for it. Otherwise you may want to spend a bit more money...