5.0 out of 5 stars JUST TWO WORDS - MUST BUY!!
Published on 9 July 2012 by maggiemay

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Perfect
I bought the DC40 to replace my 13 year old Dyson DC05 Absolute which has been outstanding. We switched to an upright because my wife prefers this style rather than dragging something along behind her.

Published on 17 Sep 2012 by NPM108

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Perfect, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: Dyson DC40 Animal Lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)

It is compact, it's not overly heavy but certainly not light. This is my first experience of the dyson ball and I did expect it to be a bit smoother. We have tile floors not carpet so this isn't much resistance being given to the ball; what I've found it that it slides a fair amount before it grips, possibly because of its all plastic ball design.

Suction is outstanding as expected but I am very disappointed with the functionality of the extendable wand! There are some serious design flaws with this style and nothing like the Promo Videos show. The flexible hose if very stiff/tight so when you pull out to use the attachments you have to get someone to hold the main unit or somehow extend your foot to lock it in place. A brake would perhaps be handy and it is definately NOT comfortable to use. I invested in the extra accessories pack and I'm starting to think that the dual role of upright and extendable wand style is going to be more like upright only.

For a company that prides itself in design and engineering I think they've got this wrong. I'm hoping that the flexible hose will losen up a bit with use but I also found the solid part of the wand uncomfortable to use and it needs some kind of clip on handle. You have to use two hands one to keep yanking on the hose and the other to guide the wand all whilst trying to prvent the main unit from moving around!

1.0 out of 5 stars So Disappointing, 29 Sep 2013
Having read the other reviews for this vacuum I was sure this was right for me... I had a DC10 animal for 8 years and I loved it, when the DC10 animal gave up the ghost, I did not even consider buying another brand. However 9 months after I bought my new DC40 I would say one thing I am now looking for an alternative brand and feeling like I completely wasted my money (and they are not cheap as you can see!). If you are considering buying the DC40, consider the following that I have found after 9 months of use.

- the drum capacity is ridiculous. in your average 3 bed house, if you actually have pets (which those buying the animal probably would!) you will probably be able to vacuum 2 and a half rooms before you need to empty it.
- the pick up is extremely poor, I can spend 10 minutes vacuuming the sitting room to find that there is still a LOT of pet fur on the carpets.
- it is poorly built. bits are breaking off mine already (wheels mainly).
- it is unreliable. After having it for 6 months I needed a replacement head, and I am just about to call Dyson out for ANOTHER problem!

On the plus side, it is light, and easy to manoeuvre. Also in fairness to dyson as well, they do send an engineer out to you should you have any problems, however this is under the strict proviso that should there be any signs of abuse (this is not defined!) they will charge you £75 for the call out plus parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST TWO WORDS - MUST BUY!!, 9 July 2012
Have been looking for a good vacuum cleaner to pick up long dog hairs for quite awhile. Literally, this one just glides across the floor. I have carpets in all rooms - very large rooms too - laminated in kitchen and bathroom. No more running over and over the same spot to pick up long collie hairs, great! Just go from carpet to laminated floors with no adjusting of head, simples! Place upright at the bottom of stairs and pull out hose (I keep the attachment permanently on top)and just glide attachment over stairs. Hose a little stiff on pulling out but with time that will loosen up. Again, had to adjust to how it glides but excellent results. Quieter and definitely lighter than any have used before. No annoying attachments falling off. Very easy to empty but if allow container to become really full, I do have to use a long stick to just pull out the fluff collected at the top, not a big issue at all. Price always put me off but having come to the decision that is the price one has to pay nowadays went ahead and tried several Dysons including some other makes at Currys (very helpful member of staff) and decided on this one as it was the lightest and once you get used to the ball is absolutely great (only took a few mins to adapt). All members of the family think it's terrific. First time ever, none of them mind vacuuming! Paid £349 but can honestly say worth every penny as saves me so much time and know that Dyson customer service (UK based) is second to none plus 5 year guarantee. My carpets honestly look new, gives me so much pleasure to sit in my lounge and see how lovely it looks.

I had a Dyson DC04 which served me well for about 10 years but made the big mistake of buying a cheaper vacuum cleaner from Makro as thought they must be comparable by now. Wrong. Just false economy. Love the way you can just ring Dyson to ask advice and their incredibly friendly, helpful service. Well done Mr. Dyson!

1.0 out of 5 stars What is going on with all the hype !!..... this vacuum is rubbish !!!!, 8 April 2014
J. Griffiths (UK) - See all my reviews
Ok, so my Hoover Hurricane 2100w blew up after 3 years, so time for a new one, thought Id get a Dyson as everyone says they are good, and goes on and on and on about them.

I have a cat so went for the animal version of the DC40.

So the Hurricane used to pull the carpet up the suction was stong, pushing it you could feel the force, So got the Dyson and first time out, expecting great things, here we go switch on and ........................oh er ok what is all they hype about !!! I was pushing it along and hardly any suction, yes you can see the dust and hair entering the cylinder but no more than any cheap alternative product. I have to say it is a total waste of money, and alot of money at that.

used it on carpet, hard floor, even the car, and have to keep going over the same point to get all the bits up. I have even checked it over and over again. Poor suction, very poor suction, every time I get it out to use I keep thinking theres something wrong with it, Ive had it 2 days, used all the attachments and realise I have wasted a fortune, yep that sick feeling you realise you have been ripped off.

Im not sure what to expect as I am comparing to the Hurricane, which was twice as good and well under half the price.

Im not sure why everyone goes on about a Dyson but my experience is very disappointing and not worth the money, no way it is no more efficent than any cheap bagless vacuum clearner.

Even the Ball is a pain, its so big you cannot get under low cabinets to the skirt board, the ball is great when your just going about an open space, so my overall rating for this Dyson DC40 Animal is................."Buy something else and save your money", as for all the hype, I just dont get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but well built and works brilliantly., 7 Jun 2013
I've made the mistake of buying cheap vacuum cleaners before this Dyson. They always end up breaking down or loosing suction after a short period. So I decided to buy this Dyson vacuum cleaner after reading so many positive reviews. I'm so happy with it, it picks up all the dog hair from my English Springer Spaniel dog (coarse long hair) and all the rubbish the kids drop and smear into the carpets. Can't fault it. I suppose the only down side is that it is very expensive. However, it doesn't seem too expensive when I consider the £200 I wasted on the previous vacuum cleaners that last only 6 to 12 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars New and improved for 2012, 22 Feb 2012
The Dyson Animal DC40 is part of the new range of Dysons for 2012 and seems to be a direct replacement for the Animal DC25 which has now gone end of life.

The DC40 still has the amazing suction power and the brush bar which does an excellent job of picking up animal hair from carpet. This is also the ball version and if you've read other reviews of how the ball technology works then you'll already know that most people think these machines are much easier to maneuver than the standard fixed wheel variety. Dyson has built on this for the DC40 by making it much lighter than the DC25, at 6.7Kg rather than 7.4Kg this machine really is easy to use and move around.

Other than that the stats are fairly similar, although one of the big complaints on the DC25 was the small bin capacity (1.3 litres) and this has been increased to 1.6 litres in this version, which really does make a difference when the Dyson suction is so good that it's picking up every bit of dust. The reach has also been slightly improved, which was another concern on the previous model.

Overall, this model improves on the previous version and goes to show that Dyson really do pay attention when developing their products as most of the improvements were certainly raised by customers. Add to that the 5 year warranty that comes as standard and you've not only got a great vacuum cleaner, but one that will do the job for the forseeable future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cats can do their worst, 21 April 2012
This Dyson is very easy to use, nice and light to handle. It is easy to turn off the brushes - I think I wore the brushes of my last Dyson out as I never bothered to figure out how to turn them off. I also like the way it goes from upright to travelling mode without having to press a button to release the handle. Because it is so light I am more inclined to get it out of the cupboard just for a two minute job. The little miniature Dyson with little brushes you use to clean the chairs works a treat. I don't think any vacuum cleaner can completely take up every single cat hair but this Dyson does its best.

4.0 out of 5 stars A DYSON CONVERTEE, 27 Feb 2012
B. Head "Bheadster72" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I own 2 dogs, 1 brown labrador & 1 black labrador, I also have 2 small children (7years & 4 years) and I have always been a Dyson sceptic, not anymore!!
I bought this vacuum cleaner 2 weeks ago & it is fantastic - once it arrived i used my old cleaner before i got the Dyson out of the box on my rugs in the living room, just to see if it was as good as it was hyped. OMG i filled up the dirt drum/container with just 1 clean of the rugs in living room, i was really shocked & horrified. So clearly my old cleaner was not picking up ANY dog hair OR was just pushing it round the room!!
I clean daily & empty the container daily which is no problem to me as this cleaner is soo easy to use; pushing it round (thanks to the BIG BALL); emptying the container (make sure you have it over the bag/bin properly); and using the tools.
So why haven't i given it 5 stars, it is an expensive bit of kit but it is a brilliant vacuum cleaner - however the electric lead is just too short for such a brilliant machine. When you paid nearly £400 for a cleaner i want to be able to clean my through-lounge without having to unplug it at one end & plug it in the other end & that is my only gripe.
You won't be disappointed!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good cleaner, but..., 27 July 2012
Having had my Dyson DC04 (I think) for goodness how many years, it was time to put it to retirement. After doing a bit of research I settled on the DC40 Animal.

The immediate thing I noticed is that it was much lighter, which made it far easier carrying it around. As for performance, it does the business on carpets and hard flooring, so no complaints there.

However. I do have a couple of observations.

I mentioned its weight - that is a plus, but the disadvantage is that because its light, it can easily topple over when you use the hose. A little disconcerting when you see it crash to the floor. Its also very plasticy and you wonder if it will stand up to the rigours of everyday use like the DC04 did which felt much more robust. I guess only time will tell how tough the DC40 is.

The ball design is a great idea, it does help the manoeuvreing of the head, but the disadvantage is that it can often leave ugly tram-lines on your carpet.

The animal hair attachment is great, however you have to get the head at just the right angle to make it work properly. If you use this on a staircase, it can often result in the hose kinking where it atttaches itself to the plastic pipe, and that can result in a loss of suction. And as the brushes in the head are rotated by the suction, that is not good news.

1.0 out of 5 stars We want our DC03 back., 27 April 2014
We can’t believe that we handed over our lovely vacuum cleaner in part exchange for this load of rubbish.

Our well looked-after DC03 had given us years of great service, but when it started to look a bit tired and needed a few more replacement parts we decided it was finally time to get one of the latest Dyson models. We figured that since Dyson have apparently won countless design awards that the latest ones would surely be an improvement on that excellent earlier model. Unfortunately we were wrong.

The DC40 feels unstable and femmer and because the old metal wand has been replaced with a plastic one there’s less strength in the body of the vacuum. Twisting the handle to turn a corner contorts the plastic body; meaning that the machine doesn’t turn that much.
There’s a Heath Robinson-esque mechanism to release the bottom of the bin (presumably so you don’t have to get your hands near the filth) but the contents actually get stuck in the container so you end up having to stick your hand in to pull the dirt out.
The tools are absolutely useless and the method of releasing them is different depending on what part of the vacuum you’ve had them attached to. There’s no tool to do stairs with, the brush attachment is far too soft and the part that’s revealed if you actually manage to retract the brush has a useless curved end on it.
There’s no way to prevent the brush in the cleaner head from spinning until after the vacuum’s been turned on. If you switch off for some reason then the brush is activated again when you switch back on, even though you don’t want it on.
We’re forever pushing the machine backwards and forwards over stubborn bits of fluff which appear to be caught in the fibres of the carpet, but when we finally resort to bending down and picking them up we discover that they’re actually just resting on the surface.

We initially thought that we just needed to get use to this DC40, but we’ve now had it for over a year and we still hate it. It’s now obvious that the £80 reduction in price that Dyson offered for handing over an old machine was to prevent people from reverting back.
If you’re thinking of ‘upgrading’ from a DC03 to a DC40 (or probably anything else by Dyson) then don’t bother. Just buy a whole load of replacement parts for your existing decent machine (genuine replacement parts are still widely available) and you’ll still have saved yourself a lot of money.