5.0 out of 5 stars JUST TWO WORDS - MUST BUY!!
Published 21 months ago by maggiemay

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Perfect
I bought the DC40 to replace my 13 year old Dyson DC05 Absolute which has been outstanding. We switched to an upright because my wife prefers this style rather than dragging something along behind her.

Published 19 months ago by NPM108

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST TWO WORDS - MUST BUY!!, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Dyson DC40 Animal Lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
Have been looking for a good vacuum cleaner to pick up long dog hairs for quite awhile. Literally, this one just glides across the floor. I have carpets in all rooms - very large rooms too - laminated in kitchen and bathroom. No more running over and over the same spot to pick up long collie hairs, great! Just go from carpet to laminated floors with no adjusting of head, simples! Place upright at the bottom of stairs and pull out hose (I keep the attachment permanently on top)and just glide attachment over stairs. Hose a little stiff on pulling out but with time that will loosen up. Again, had to adjust to how it glides but excellent results. Quieter and definitely lighter than any have used before. No annoying attachments falling off. Very easy to empty but if allow container to become really full, I do have to use a long stick to just pull out the fluff collected at the top, not a big issue at all. Price always put me off but having come to the decision that is the price one has to pay nowadays went ahead and tried several Dysons including some other makes at Currys (very helpful member of staff) and decided on this one as it was the lightest and once you get used to the ball is absolutely great (only took a few mins to adapt). All members of the family think it's terrific. First time ever, none of them mind vacuuming! Paid £349 but can honestly say worth every penny as saves me so much time and know that Dyson customer service (UK based) is second to none plus 5 year guarantee. My carpets honestly look new, gives me so much pleasure to sit in my lounge and see how lovely it looks.

I had a Dyson DC04 which served me well for about 10 years but made the big mistake of buying a cheaper vacuum cleaner from Makro as thought they must be comparable by now. Wrong. Just false economy. Love the way you can just ring Dyson to ask advice and their incredibly friendly, helpful service. Well done Mr. Dyson!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Perfect, 17 Sep 2012

It is compact, it's not overly heavy but certainly not light. This is my first experience of the dyson ball and I did expect it to be a bit smoother. We have tile floors not carpet so this isn't much resistance being given to the ball; what I've found it that it slides a fair amount before it grips, possibly because of its all plastic ball design.

Suction is outstanding as expected but I am very disappointed with the functionality of the extendable wand! There are some serious design flaws with this style and nothing like the Promo Videos show. The flexible hose if very stiff/tight so when you pull out to use the attachments you have to get someone to hold the main unit or somehow extend your foot to lock it in place. A brake would perhaps be handy and it is definately NOT comfortable to use. I invested in the extra accessories pack and I'm starting to think that the dual role of upright and extendable wand style is going to be more like upright only.

For a company that prides itself in design and engineering I think they've got this wrong. I'm hoping that the flexible hose will losen up a bit with use but I also found the solid part of the wand uncomfortable to use and it needs some kind of clip on handle. You have to use two hands one to keep yanking on the hose and the other to guide the wand all whilst trying to prvent the main unit from moving around!

5.0 out of 5 stars The cats can do their worst, 21 April 2012
This Dyson is very easy to use, nice and light to handle. It is easy to turn off the brushes - I think I wore the brushes of my last Dyson out as I never bothered to figure out how to turn them off. I also like the way it goes from upright to travelling mode without having to press a button to release the handle. Because it is so light I am more inclined to get it out of the cupboard just for a two minute job. The little miniature Dyson with little brushes you use to clean the chairs works a treat. I don't think any vacuum cleaner can completely take up every single cat hair but this Dyson does its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars New and improved for 2012, 22 Feb 2012
The Dyson Animal DC40 is part of the new range of Dysons for 2012 and seems to be a direct replacement for the Animal DC25 which has now gone end of life.

The DC40 still has the amazing suction power and the brush bar which does an excellent job of picking up animal hair from carpet. This is also the ball version and if you've read other reviews of how the ball technology works then you'll already know that most people think these machines are much easier to maneuver than the standard fixed wheel variety. Dyson has built on this for the DC40 by making it much lighter than the DC25, at 6.7Kg rather than 7.4Kg this machine really is easy to use and move around.

Other than that the stats are fairly similar, although one of the big complaints on the DC25 was the small bin capacity (1.3 litres) and this has been increased to 1.6 litres in this version, which really does make a difference when the Dyson suction is so good that it's picking up every bit of dust. The reach has also been slightly improved, which was another concern on the previous model.

Overall, this model improves on the previous version and goes to show that Dyson really do pay attention when developing their products as most of the improvements were certainly raised by customers. Add to that the 5 year warranty that comes as standard and you've not only got a great vacuum cleaner, but one that will do the job for the forseeable future.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good cleaner, but..., 27 July 2012
Having had my Dyson DC04 (I think) for goodness how many years, it was time to put it to retirement. After doing a bit of research I settled on the DC40 Animal.

The immediate thing I noticed is that it was much lighter, which made it far easier carrying it around. As for performance, it does the business on carpets and hard flooring, so no complaints there.

However. I do have a couple of observations.

I mentioned its weight - that is a plus, but the disadvantage is that because its light, it can easily topple over when you use the hose. A little disconcerting when you see it crash to the floor. Its also very plasticy and you wonder if it will stand up to the rigours of everyday use like the DC04 did which felt much more robust. I guess only time will tell how tough the DC40 is.

The ball design is a great idea, it does help the manoeuvreing of the head, but the disadvantage is that it can often leave ugly tram-lines on your carpet.

The animal hair attachment is great, however you have to get the head at just the right angle to make it work properly. If you use this on a staircase, it can often result in the hose kinking where it atttaches itself to the plastic pipe, and that can result in a loss of suction. And as the brushes in the head are rotated by the suction, that is not good news.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 21 April 2012
G. Lewis "mgjjl" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think it is fair to say that the hype surrounding the Dyson range of vacuum cleaners is something that passed me by. I always thought they looked ridiculous and were overpriced for what they were. At the supermarket they were always stood next to similar-looking Vax and Electrolux bagless cleaners but invariably priced £50-£100 higher. Truth be told, if I hadn't received one through the Vine programme I never would have bought one, certainly not at this end of the range.

Sadly, I'd have been missing out because the DC40 is a brilliant bit of kit. I don't think I could ever call myself a vacuum cleaner enthusiast, despite this being the 2nd vacuum cleaner I've reviewed on Amazon, but compared to the previous one it is night & day. Admittedly, there is a £300 difference in price.

On paper there is very little to distinguish between the DC40 and the Vax U90-P2-P Power 2 Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Improved Wattage. They both offer a similar air-wattage figure, they're both bagless and boast their pet power credentials. In truth, both will get your carpets just as clean but that is where their paths start to head in different directions.

You get the feeling with the Dyson that they've really put a lot of thought into the design. There are a number of tweaks and features that help you get around the various obstacles your house. For example, we have a number of rugs in the lounge to reduce the wear on the carpet in the high traffic areas. The Vax will struggle at the edge of the rug where it meets the carpet. Without all four sides of the suction head on the carpet the Vax collects almost nothing, but the Dyson has a flange on the underside that maintains better contact with the two surfaces and it continues to suck just fine. The flanged head also maintains better contact with normal carpet too, ensuring that you need to spend less time going over the same spot.

The ball design on the Dyson really does help you manoeuvre around the room, getting you into tight corners and makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. Yes, I did say enjoyable.

For other furnishings like the curtains and the sofa, the extension hose is built into the handle and the plastic tube retracts into the hose when you are finished with it, unlike the Vax which requires some assembly every time you need to use it. This allows you to seamlessly move between surfaces, even if there isn't anywhere particularly convenient to store the brushed 2nd head besides leaving it poking out of the top of the handle.

When you have finished cleaning and need to empty the canister, you simply point the end of the canister into the bin and press the eject button. With the Vax the filter is inside the canister and collects hair and dust in the folds, which requires plucking out and a light tap on the floor to clear. On the Dyson, the filter is somewhere else entirely and there's nothing for the dust and hair to stick to. It's a subtle difference, but it is a significant improvement in day to day use.

Now, a reality check. The Vax will get your carpets just as clean for £300 less, but it won't be as easy (or enjoyable) and you'll have to get used to picking hair and dust out of the filter. The Dyson isn't a necessary purchase in that regard. You can get a perfectly adequate cleaner for £70, but now that I've had a Dyson I'd try to find the extra cash if I could. You could say I've been converted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design, small on performance, 31 Dec 2012
First thing, gggrrrrrrrrrr, I paid £299.00 for mine in October, now it's £249.00!!!!

OK, now onto the machine. Replacing my old DC Origin was a bit of a no-brainer (even though it still worked), as it weighed a ton, and I got sick of lumping it up and down the stairs. The DC40 is obviously much lighter, and thanks to the ball, is highly manoeuvrable. It certainly gets into nooks and crannies that my old hoover could not, and is far less taxing physically. It looks great, and the design is very clever.

It's not perfect, though, far from it. The suction for one is far less potent than the Origin, and more than once, I have found myself picking up fluff off the carpet (I have three Persian cats who shed their fur very easily). Also, the bin capacity is next to useless - I can fill it up to the maximum hoovering just one room. If you have a large house, be prepared to empty the bin every few minutes.

Pros - lightweight, compact design, ease of use, manoeuvrability
Cons - average suction, tiny storage bin capacity, expensive
Overall - too many compromises outweigh it's lightness and design

I understand that to make a machine lighter, everything has to shrink - and sadly, that includes the perfromance.

4.0 out of 5 stars A DYSON CONVERTEE, 27 Feb 2012
B. Head "Bheadster72" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I own 2 dogs, 1 brown labrador & 1 black labrador, I also have 2 small children (7years & 4 years) and I have always been a Dyson sceptic, not anymore!!
I bought this vacuum cleaner 2 weeks ago & it is fantastic - once it arrived i used my old cleaner before i got the Dyson out of the box on my rugs in the living room, just to see if it was as good as it was hyped. OMG i filled up the dirt drum/container with just 1 clean of the rugs in living room, i was really shocked & horrified. So clearly my old cleaner was not picking up ANY dog hair OR was just pushing it round the room!!
I clean daily & empty the container daily which is no problem to me as this cleaner is soo easy to use; pushing it round (thanks to the BIG BALL); emptying the container (make sure you have it over the bag/bin properly); and using the tools.
So why haven't i given it 5 stars, it is an expensive bit of kit but it is a brilliant vacuum cleaner - however the electric lead is just too short for such a brilliant machine. When you paid nearly £400 for a cleaner i want to be able to clean my through-lounge without having to unplug it at one end & plug it in the other end & that is my only gripe.
You won't be disappointed!!

1.0 out of 5 stars So Disappointing, 29 Sep 2013
Having read the other reviews for this vacuum I was sure this was right for me... I had a DC10 animal for 8 years and I loved it, when the DC10 animal gave up the ghost, I did not even consider buying another brand. However 9 months after I bought my new DC40 I would say one thing I am now looking for an alternative brand and feeling like I completely wasted my money (and they are not cheap as you can see!). If you are considering buying the DC40, consider the following that I have found after 9 months of use.

- the drum capacity is ridiculous. in your average 3 bed house, if you actually have pets (which those buying the animal probably would!) you will probably be able to vacuum 2 and a half rooms before you need to empty it.
- the pick up is extremely poor, I can spend 10 minutes vacuuming the sitting room to find that there is still a LOT of pet fur on the carpets.
- it is poorly built. bits are breaking off mine already (wheels mainly).
- it is unreliable. After having it for 6 months I needed a replacement head, and I am just about to call Dyson out for ANOTHER problem!

On the plus side, it is light, and easy to manoeuvre. Also in fairness to dyson as well, they do send an engineer out to you should you have any problems, however this is under the strict proviso that should there be any signs of abuse (this is not defined!) they will charge you £75 for the call out plus parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but well built and works brilliantly., 7 Jun 2013
I've made the mistake of buying cheap vacuum cleaners before this Dyson. They always end up breaking down or loosing suction after a short period. So I decided to buy this Dyson vacuum cleaner after reading so many positive reviews. I'm so happy with it, it picks up all the dog hair from my English Springer Spaniel dog (coarse long hair) and all the rubbish the kids drop and smear into the carpets. Can't fault it. I suppose the only down side is that it is very expensive. However, it doesn't seem too expensive when I consider the £200 I wasted on the previous vacuum cleaners that last only 6 to 12 months.

ARRAY(0xadbfe5ac)