5.0 out of 5 stars Dyson never disappoints me.
Published on 1 Mar 2012 by Saxon

3.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw ?
It looks amazing and sucks pretty well. It's quite lightweight and powerful. The ball arrangement sort of helps with vacuuming, but I confidently predict will not change the world.

Published on 23 May 2012 by Simon Nicholas

5.0 out of 5 stars Dyson never disappoints me., 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: Dyson DC40 Multi Floor Lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
Having had two DC03 Dysons and a D16 hand vac I bought a Vax (from Amazon). It reminded me of all the other vacuums I had bought before my first DC03. Amazon kindly let me return the Vax and I bought the Dyson DC40. Dyson may be expensive and not 100% perfect in every respect, after all, you cant please everybody all of the time. But, you can get near to pleasing everybody with a quality product and a great 5 year guarantee.
I was sceptical about how good the Dyson Ball function was but when I tried it the first time I could easily manouver the cleaner head to run along a carpet edge, get it into areas under dressing tables. BTW, I am in a wheelchair and that is why I notice any ease in moving it about. Talking about ease .. I love the way the handle pulls down without have to press a button on the cleaner base. The dust container can be detatched/attached easily and unlike the DC03 dust cant get out unless you want it to. Two filters which are easily removed and are washable (best done monthly). Do that and this cleaner will last for many years and perform well.
OK, you know I like it ... so here is a negative (see, you cant please everbody!)To change the cleaning head from carpet to hard floor setting you press a button next to the on/off button. If you turn the cleaner off for any reason it also presses the head height button so when it is turned on again the brushes rotate again. Kinda irritating that it cant be left at a previous setting.
Thats it then, great cleaner and worth the money. Oh yeah .... I still have the DC16 and the DC03 will now go outside for car cleaning etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 Jun 2012
Bought this more expensive Dyson as it had more suction and dust capacity than the DC24. Also it didn't have an annoying kick plate that you had to use to get it from the upright position and kick again to get it back to upright. It just pulls back when you put your foot on the front like normal. Although heavier, the DC40 steers more easily than the DC24 because the handle is fixed so doesn't wobble and the weight gives a bit more momentum when you are pushing it back and forth. The ball really does make a difference and at last I have a 'hoover' that will fill under the overhang of kitchen cupboards and radiators. The flexible hose is much longer than the DC24 too and the extending pole doesn't have to be taken out and turned around.

If you can afford the extra 100 then I'd say buy the DC40. My last Dyson was still going at 12 years old so you get value for money. I did think my carpets were clean because I used a Dyson but the new one has picked up dirt I didn't know was there. I also bought the larger dusting brush which is brilliant. Dyson - why don't you supply this instead of the silly little tools which seem cheap and nasty in comparison?! Four stars because of the tacky tools otherwise five stars for the 'hoover'.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Dyson ?, 20 Aug 2012
I have never owned a Dyson but my friends all raved about it so after studying the different models, I bought the new DC40 Multi floor as we have a lot of marble floors and I wanted a lightweight easy moving ball model with the latest suction technology. It arrived quickly and well packed and within a few minutes it was gliding across my floors with the easiest of movement and sucking up every little bit of dust on the way. It is very easy to empty, one click to unlock it from the machine and 1 click to open the door to empty and 1 click and its back ready to go again. I wish I had bought one years ago !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all round performer!, 30 Dec 2012
There has been a lot of positives to this vacuum cleaner and not many negatives that I've come across so far.

One of the first things I read in a few of the reviews of this hoover before buying was that it wasn't the easiest to assemble out of the box. I have to disagree with this (well, my boyfriend does as he built it!) as we found it exceptionally easy to put together. Really you are only assembling perhaps 5 parts in total and they all slot together nicely.

Once put together the hoover is also very simple to operate. You have the options above the cylinder to stop the brush from spinning which is good for use on the hard floors. Other than that it's pretty much a case of powering on and off you go.

The suction is very strong and you'll probably notice it picking up a lot more dust and hair than most other vacuum cleaners. After one sweep of the room you'll pretty much have caught everything the hoover is capable of picking up. It gets into the corners and along the skirting boards easily - the ball makes it very easy to manoeuvre.

The hose attachment is also very easy to use and put together. This will allow you to get into the niggly areas and gives enough hose to get up to ceiling corners and along the top of curtains also. This attachment is also useful when you're hoovering the stairs - however, it does mean taking the full unit on the stairs with you as the hose attachment isn't long enough to be left at top or bottom of the stairs (this is perhaps not ideal for someone with bad back or the infirm). Perhaps there is a longer attachment that can be purchased as an additional extra. The accessories that come with it include a thin nozzle to access tight areas. This nozzle also has a brush on it to that can be slid up to cover the nozzle - this would be ideal for going along skirting boards etc. There is also a larger brush section that can be added to the nozzle - again this would be good for stairs and perhaps running down curtains. I've noticed you can buy a spinning brush nozzle as well (this does not come with the vacuum).

So, this hoover does everything you'd expect from a hoover and it does it very well. Easy to use, easy to build and very easy to move around the house. The one thing I would say is it's not perhaps as "lightweight" as made out. The unit does still have a good weight to it.

Another thing that has been mentioned on previous reviews is with regards to access to the filter. This is fairly easy to access and taking some time before using the vacuum cleaner to figure out the cylinder part that stores the dust etc. would be worthwhile. It is fairly simple to work out how to empty and access the filter once you have disconnected the cylinder from the main unit - just be patient and have a look over this before you start. The filter needs to be taken out pretty much every month for a clean and this is very worthwhile - if the filter become clogged up the hoover will lose suction and that kind of defies the point of having something so powerful.

All in all a very impressive vacuum cleaner. The 5 year warranty from Dyson is also a strong back-up. Should anything go wrong with the vacuum cleaner you'll have the support of Dyson in getting the problem resolved.

Big thumbs up from us and a sound investment so far!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw ?, 23 May 2012

However we returned the first one after a few weeks because the elaborate but rather cheap looking plastic mechanical cylinder release mechanism (which reminded me of a game I had when I was a child; "Mousetrap") ceased functioning after only a few uses. The cylinder release mechanism is used to open the flap that allows all the dust to be emptied out. We are on our second unit now and the same mechanism has ceased functioning too, under perfectly reasonable use. Whilst it's perfectly possible to override the mechanism by opening the cylinder with your fingers, this is a slightly grubby operation and hardly the point; for the price I expect perfection.

James, what were you thinking when you approved the design of this feature?

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and easy to use, works brilliantly, 22 Feb 2012
The Dyson Multi Floor DC40 is part of the new range of Dysons for 2012 and looks like it replaces the Multi Floor DC25 which is no longer available.

Having tried the DC40, it lives up to the Dyson name and despite the fact that this is a light weight version and so lower suction than the full version, it still picks up more dust than any other vacuum I've had. This is also the ball version and if you've read other reviews of how the ball technology works then you'll already know that most people think these machines are much easier to maneuver than the standard fixed wheel variety. Dyson has built on this for the DC40 by making it much lighter than the DC25; at 6.7Kg rather than 7.4Kg this machine really is easy to use and move around.

Dyson have also addressed one of the more major complaints on the DC25 - the small bin capacity (1.3 litres). This is now a servicable 1.6 litres, which really does make a difference when the Dyson suction is so good that it's picking up every bit of dust.

Overall, this model improves on the previous version and goes to show that Dyson really do pay attention to customers when developing their products. Add to that the 5 year warranty that comes as standard and you've not only got a great vacuum cleaner, but one that you won't be replacing any time soon. The Dysons are pricier but I'd definitely recommend this vacuum cleaner for anyone looking for a quality vacuum cleaner that will last.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Next Evolution..., 18 Feb 2012
Mr. M. E. Merritt "MattMerritt" (Portsmouth UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Dyson Vacuum cleaners for years, in fact my DC07 is just coming to the end of it's life. It's been great but I've been looking at the Ball cleaners for a while now. The rooms in my abode are somewhat awkwardly shaped and using the regular vacuum can be more of a chore than is strictly necessary.

Well, this has worked a treat, so much more maneuverable and in this new form very lightweight and easy to manage as well. I have to give credit to the people at Dyson who seem never to be content and are constantly offering new and innovative tweaks to their product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dyson DC40, 3 Jun 2012
Very pleased with the overall performance of the cleaner. Wished the lead could have been longer and maybe retractable . Still find it a little heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent!, 19 Feb 2012
Adamski (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a slimline upright vacuum cleaner with some great features. Dyson have upgraded their multi-cyclone system to trap even smaller particles of dirt and dust. That's not all, the new smaller brush head allows you to get further underneath furniture and into harder to reach places. The swivel ball movement system is excellent, it really makes maneuvering the vacuum a doddle and puts less strain on the wrist. The mains lead is long enough for doing a full flight of stairs and the brush attachment is combined with the crevice tool, the brush part slides down and locks in place which makes intricate cleaning simple. The dust canister empties at the push of a button and their is a five year parts and labour guarantee. All in all a fantastic vacuum cleaner which I recommend unreservedly!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Little Worker, 22 Oct 2012
Bought this Dyson as we have had two new solid floors laid. It is easy to operate although the ball makes it unusual. It cleans carpeted floors really well and you can move straight on to solid floors. However have two minor complaints; the dust receptacle is smaller than our older Dyson and NONE of the tools off our existing Dyson fit the new one.