4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of angst and repressed feelings!
A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London's most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance--including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury.

Published on 14 Mar 2012 by book worm with goggles

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of fun.
If you are looking for this book to be like sarah macleans previous books you will be disappointed.
For me there is not enough light humour in it, I seriously wanted to shout at Penelope and Michael, Penny was undecisive and Michael for being such a big baby.
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by Marrianna Humphries

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of angst and repressed feelings!, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

This is my first Sarah Maclean novel. The hero was obsessed with revenging himself on the man who had taken everything of value from him during a moment of gambling foolishness when he'd been only 21 years of age. He would let nothing stand in the way of this goal, including his former childhood friend Penelope who lived on a neighbouring estate to his.

It was an enjoyable read even though I found I was more interested in the secondary characters, Chase and Cross who were the hero's partners in the gaming hell and even in the heroine's sisters and the gorgeous housekeeper. I guess they will be getting stories of their own. Or at least I hope so.

And I didn't real get the villain's purpose in all if this. Why would he do such a terrible thing to his ward and the son of his best friend? I didn't buy the explanation.
But I enjoyed this book and will look for other Sarah Maclean novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great escapism!, 8 May 2013
This is the first book by Sarah MacLean that I've read and I can't wait to try her other novels. Unlike many other books of this type written by American authors, there were only a couple of glaring linguistic anomalies (that I noticed, anyway) and both the story and her writing style had me gripped!

Laugh-out-loud funny in places, gorgeously sensuous in others, I thoroughly enjoyed witnessing the lead characters' relationship develop, and found there were enough twists, turns and sub-plots to build up my expectations for the fittingly charming ending.

Pour yourself a glass of wine, settle back and lose yourself in Ms MacLean's brilliant book for a few hours. You'll not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my new favourite authors in romantic fiction!, 18 Jun 2013
Sarah Maclean managed to impress me for numerous reasons, but first and foremost because she convinces her reader from the first page onwards that she is a very gifted writer and story-teller with a distinct voice. Secondly, I find her approach to historical romance refreshing in its originality and charming wit. Maclean's characters are strong and bold and full of edges. They truly fly off the page. Her narrative is rich and her plot is always well-paced. I cannot think of another voice in historical romance that I have enjoyed reading as much in the past five years or so. Don't miss out on this novel or on any other novel by Sarah Maclean!

4.0 out of 5 stars The first brother, Lord Bourne., 10 Mar 2012
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A decade ago, young Michael Lawler, the Marquess of Bourne, lost everything on one turn of a card. Viscount Langford had been a friend and neighbor to his father, handpicked by the former Marquess of Bourne as guardian to his only son and heir. Langford's betrayal changed the life of the young Bourne. Bourne left, but vowed to restore Falconwell's lands to the manor and claim vengeance.

Now Bourne is a partner in London's most luxurious gaming house. He has more money than he could ever hope to spend. When Bourne learns that Langford has lost Falconwell's land to the Marquess of Needham and Dolby, he immediately begins making plans. Needham has included the land in the dowry of his daughter, Lady Penelope "Penny" Marbury. Bourne had grown up with Penny. They had been close friends. But now Needham has sealed her fate.

A broken engagement and years of mundane courtships has left Penny bored. She yearns for something more. But never did Penny imagine that her closest childhood friend would suddenly reappear, abduct her, thoroughly compromise her, and then force her to marry him. One look into Bourne's eyes and Penny cannot help but understand that all traces of her dearest friend is gone. He has been replaced by a cold-hearted, hardened man. And unless something drastic happens, Bourne will destroy everything - even her - for his vengeance.

**** FOUR STARS! This tale opened with such a life-altering blow to a young man that my attention was hooked instantly. Bourne's tenacity for Falconwell was everything. I found the man to be aggressive, self-absorbed, harsh, and intimidating. Yet by the story's end, I could not help but like and admire him. The author made it very clear to me as to why his character acted in such a manner. The story is well written, with fully developed characters, and the threat of scandal is constant. One thing is for sure: Stories by Sarah MacLean can become addictive. ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 22 Aug 2012
They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and they were right! The cover and title suggest a modest love story but hiding beneath is a juicy tale of 19th century scandal, making for a damn good read that is unput-downable. The story is engaging and the characters are fantastic. You'll be hooked from start to finish, and not just because of the steamy sex scenes and explosive arguements! This is a must read that will not leave you disappointed, and as a little teaser the last chapter points to another novel involving, fingers crossed, more drama, more scandal and naughtiness.

Personally, I couldn't get on the Internet quick enough to search of the new book's release. One Good Earl Deserves a Lover is released on paperback in early October and I CANNOT wait!

Reviewed by Francesca Verbeeten on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of fun., 3 Mar 2012
Penny and Michael were childhood friends, Michael at 21 lost everything on the turn of the cards, he then built another fortune with a gaming club, and he then married Penny because she then owned part of his lost estate and then proceeded to treat her with distain.
The light relief came with Pennys letters and her father shooting at Michael.
If this had been my first S.M. novel I would have given it 5 stars but I could not get past her previous books and the laugh out loud moments I had with them, I did not find much to laugh at in this one.
However I shall persevere and in a few weeks I will read it again to see if I see the book any different.
I still look forward to the next book "One good earl deserves a lover". When I find a good author I tend to stick with them and despite my views on this book I still believe S.M. is one of the better ones, along with Julie Garwood, Loretta chase,and Susan E Phillips.

5.0 out of 5 stars In My Opinion.....Perfect!, 28 Feb 2012
Elaine "Elaine" (Clacton on Sea, Essex) - See all my reviews
I won't go into the storyline as there are great reviews here.

I was gripped from the beginning (prologue actually), and I couldn't put it down. A great beginning, middle & end. This novel is very well written, as I always expect from Sarah MacLean, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the sexy bits too!

Can't wait for One Good Earl Deserves A Lover with Phillipa & Cross.
Scorching, I hope.

Easily 5 stars.

Elaine

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 Sep 2014
I loved this story... the romance between Michael and Penelope was great I didn't want to put it down....I do love this author and I always look out for her books..... but like most American authors they always seem to get the money for the period that they write about so wrong it was already mentioned that £35 was more money than some would see in their lifetime then starts talking in Hundreds of Thousands of pounds which in this day is huge amount of money it must have been in the millions in that period so please do a bit more research in to the money side of the period as well as all the rest please it's most off putting for your British readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 April 2012
carly (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book is amazing, what a way to kick of a new series. A Rogue by Any Other Name is expertly written and kept me entranced from start to finish. The characters are what made the book for me, they are in-depth, intriguing and definitely more-ish. I wasn't big into historical romance before but I have found myself an exciting new favourite genre.

Penelope Marbury is unwed at the age of 28, which means nothing these days but meant everything back in the 1800's. She is considered a spinster, she was engaged to a Duke, but she called off the engagement because he was in love with someone else. Which resulted in a scandal, which followed her around for years to come.

Tommy & Michael (Bourne) were Peneople's childhood best-friends, they done everything together. When Michael was 21 he lost everything he owned, all his inheritance in a card game to Tommy's father. He fled never coming back vowing revenge. Leaving Penelope missing an thinking about him for a long time. Tommy stays in Penelope's live though, like a brother more than anything else.

Years later, Penelope's father wins Falconwell (Michaels home & land). He adds the land to Penelope's dowry, to help her secure a husband.

Michael has reinvented himself from the night he lost everything, he has managed to build himself back up from nothing. He owns a gaming hell, a seedy club where everyone goes to gamble and loose all their money. When the news reached him that Falconwell has been added to Lady Penelope's dowry, he sees his opportunity to get his home back. He sets out to secure Penelope as his wife, not caring that he forces her hand or that he will ruin her in the process of his revenge.

Penelope just wants a normal marriage. She wants to be loved and most of all she wants adventure, something more out of life. She has no hopes with the ruthless stubborn man that is Bourne, not the Michael she used to know as a boy at all.

Well I'm not going to spoil the story for everyone, even though I could happily ramble on all day about this amazing book.

This story is engaging from start to finish. It has a wonderful outcome and an epilogue that has left me begging for the next in the series. There are so many fantastic characters throughout this book, like Bourne's partners in the gaming club and Penelope's sisters. But my favourite characters are the main ones, Penelope and Michael.

Penelope - Is a proper lady, perfect and polite, but underneath all that is proper is an incredibly strong, fierce woman who knows what she wants out of life and in the end is not afraid to do what she needs to to get it.

Bourne - Is devastatingly handsome and he knows it. He is cold, hard, ruthless and definitely not a gentleman, nor would you want him to be. He undergoes such a transformation and I am so happy he did because I could of slapped him sometimes for being so stubborn and holding back.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't enjoy it, 25 May 2014
Azur (Nice, France) - See all my reviews
I bought this book based on the other reviews and looking for a new author in this genre. I must say, I found it very disappointing - I nearly stopped reading near the beginning during a very long drawn out passage set at the dinner table. I perservered, hoping it might get better but unfortunately it didn't. I didn't see why Michael would suddenly change his mind about Penelope or why Lancaster ruined him in the first place. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. If you like this style of book and haven't read the Loretta Chase Dressmaker series, I recommend them - witty, passionate and interesting reads - everything this book was not.