5.0 out of 5 stars Another success from the Ottolenghi team
Published on 10 May 2010 by C. North

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm trying hard to like this book
I bought this book based on reviews, and I just don't get the hype attached. It feels like a half measure. The recipes are OK, but involve quite a number of ingredients which are genuinely hard to come by on a day to day basis, so for me, as i don't live close to a specialist store, it takes a lot of planning for.

There are some good ideas for varied salads and...
Published on 5 Sep 2010 by A. M. Long

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success from the Ottolenghi team, 10 May 2010
C. North "CCN" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
My wife and I were already fanatical fans of Ottlenghi (the shop -- surely one of the world's greatest purveyor of fresh prepared salads and baked goods), and of Ottlenghi (the book), a cookbook we keep returning to for ideas. So we were delighted to see a new book from the same author/team. We've already sampled a half-dozen recipes from the new book and each one was a success. The new book is more approachable than the first, with a clean, elegant design -- and some recipes which are very straightforward in preparation lead to a transcendent result, like the Jersey Royal potato salad with pesto or the spinach pancakes. We've bookmarked the next half-dozen we want to try and will be tackling them this week!

We actually completely failed to notice that the book was a "vegetarian" book, at least in the narrow sense that it doesn't have recipes for meat. We are avowed carnivores; but the dishes are so inspiring that you might well forget meat for a meal!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Plenty', indeed., 26 April 2010
Colin J. Herd "colin j herd" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
If you are a fan of Ottolenghi's weekly column 'The New Vegetarian' in the Guardian, then you may (like me) vaguely remember reading some of these recipes before. You may even have cooked a few, or (more often in my case) vowed to cook them at some point, possibly cutting the recipe out, or just throwing the magazine on the stack in the corner of your cluttered desk, or kitchen table, then tidied them away and allowed the Pear Crostini (Dec 2007), or the Puy Lentil Gallette (Jan 2007), or even (shame on you) the Scrambled Smoky Duck Eggs on Sourdough (June 2008) to drop off the wipe-clean tablecloth of your culinary agenda. Which is why this book is a dream-come-true: it is a cupped palm collecting all those crumbs (adding some previously unpublished ones for good measure) and repackaging them in a stunning, beautifully photographed hardback book. 'Plenty', indeed.

I absolutely believe that this is the best book of vegetarian food I've ever read or cooked from. The reason for that is, I genuinely never once felt like I was reading or cooking from a vegetarian book. Some vegetarian cookbooks speak 'meat' as a kind of Derridean absent subtext almost as loudly as they speak vegetables; I'm thinking of recipes I remember reading in other books like 'vegetable toad in the hole'.

In Ottolenghi's cookbook the absence of meat is silenced, easy-to-forget, totally squashed and rendered unimportant in culinary terms. Of course there is no meat or fish in the 'Artichoke Gratin' (p.178) or the 'Ultimate winter couscous' (p.262) or the 'Saffron tagliatelle with spiced butter' (p.260), 'Halloween Souffles' (p.64) or 'Egg spinach and pecorino pizza' (p.156) because these recipes are complete and perfect and authentic as they are, meat would be an unnecessary embellishment.

It's wonderful to have Ottolenghi's New Vegetarian recipes collected in one place, organized by a central ingredient, so that if you fancy an inventive egg dish or a quirky but wholesome cereal recipe, you know exactly which chapter to consult. This is a great followup to The Ottloenghi Cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ottolenghi has done it again - thank you, 29 April 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered this book and was very excited to receive it, being the vegetarian food geek that I am. I thought I would start out by bookmarking just a few recipes - but ended up marking almost the entire book - I just want to cook everything! I have already made some of the recipes, which I collected from the New Vegetarian column in the Guardian. The black pepper tofu, the mee goreng, the multi-vegetable paella, the quesadillas and the winter couscous - all extremely tasty!
My perserved lemons are ready to use for the summer (thanks to an excellent recipe from the first Ottolenghi book). I plan to make at least 2 recipes from the new book each weekend! I cannot wait to make the caramelised garlic tart, the green pancakes with lime butter and every single one of the aubergine dishes.
Thank you Ottolenghi - you're a real inspiration and your food is delightful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
A lovely book from beginning to end. The appearance and feel of the book are a pleasure, and the recipes are delicious, although not difficult. Unlike some authors he seems to have proof-read carefully and there are no mysteries of when to add something. So far no disasters in the food.Plenty

5.0 out of 5 stars Veggie Heaven, 3 May 2010
K. Lewis "Bobo 62" (Peterborough) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I had the first Ottolenghi book but it was a bit too meaty.
This is a fantastic book for vegetarians and non-vegetarians - they will not realise they are meat deprived because the recipes are all so delicious. Cannot recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Ottolenghi, we are indebted to you!, 9 May 2010
Stephen Lloyd (Bradford, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
As a vegetarian of many years standing I am extremely pleased that Ottolenghi has produced this beautiful and creative cook book for us.

Do not doubt that it is beautiful. From the softly padded white minimalist design of the cover to the colourful and enticing images within.

The fact that this book refuses to follow the `starters, mains and sweets' of other books makes me love it even more. I do not particularly want a section on puddings (the absence of which was critically noted by a previous reviewer). I want a book crammed full of delicious food which Ottolenghi more than substantially provides here.

Read Colin J Hird's testimony to this book above. I'm not even sure that Mr. Hird is a vegetarian but his review is beautifuly accurate.

Ignore the doubters. This book is easily as impressive as his first and In terms of vegetarian cuisine it sets a very high bench mark indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious and healthy, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
Over the last few years my family has started eating less meat and we all feel better for it. It's difficult to find decent (mainly) vegetarian books, most contain the ubiquitous stodgy lentil loaf and broccoli quiche and too much cheese! In contrast Ottolenghi's book has a much fresher approach. If you love herbs and zingy flavours that burst in your mouth, this is the recipe book to try. Everything I've cooked from it has been really tasty; at the weekend I made a 2 course meal for a vegetarian friend (no desserts in this book so we had ice cream after as our 3rd course) and she loved it.

I agree with other reviewers that there are a lot of ingredients in the recipes and some are hard to come by, but most things are available in my local sainsbury's. The recipes also work if you substitute ingredients, e.g, one herb for another does change the taste slightly but results are still good, so don't be afraid to tweak things. Due to the number of ingredients it isn't an everyday book for those on a budget. I am trying to save money myself but I can still afford to cook at least one recipe a week from this and if you grow your own herbs you will save even more.

Since I already had so many cook books I was wary of buying another one to sit on a shelf so I went to his website and tried some of the recipes from it first. I tried roast sweet potatoes with maple and pecans and I cooked mushrooms with cinnamon and they were both amazing! I was delighted when the book contained more of the same inventive ideas.

The hardback (or is it softback?!) is unlike any other book I own, it's got a padded white cover which I think is nice; very tactile. It's quite large, roughly A4 in size. Pictures are lovely too, but there isn't one for every recipe so if you choose by photographs this may not be so useful to you.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and I'm looking forward to trying more recipes. FYI, I'm quite an experienced cook, perhaps beginners would find it a bit fiddly to make some of the dishes?

5.0 out of 5 stars Drooling..., 30 April 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I've only just opened my copy and I'm pleased to see old Guardian favourites long lost in sticky piles of cuttings & unopened bills. The pictures are mouthwatering and the prose enthusiastic and inviting. Who cares that there are no puddies, cakes or meat? You've got the fab first book for those. Cheeky aside... let's hope the recipe on p214 has a little g missing. I'm not sure I can count to 450!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy!, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
As a lover of Middle Eastern and Italian food, and having tried some recipes before, the quality of the recipes shouldn't have surprised me. Still this book offered a lot of lovely discoveries. Such enjoyable flavour combinations, with healthy, fresh ingredients. Truly life affirming.

Recipes are ordered in chapters like:
Mushrooms
The mighty Aubergine
Pasta, Polenta, Couscous
Cereals
Fruit with Cheese
Green Things
To name a few I particularly like.

What came as a complete surprise though, was the beautiful design of this book. A nice heavy padded hardback, which stays open on the page of your recipe. Beautiful photographs and drawings, as well as a writing style that encourages you to have a go (often providing variation ideas and side dishes by-the-by).

Reassuring bedtime reading, as well as great recipes.

If you like Middle Eastern Veggie Food, you can also find many more, less fancy but nonetheless delicious, recipes in 'Classic Vegetarian Cooking: From the Middle East and North Africa' by Habeeb Salloum that I have reviewed as well.

Plenty to enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm trying hard to like this book, 5 Sep 2010
A. M. Long "Ali Long" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)

There are some good ideas for varied salads and the Garlic Tart, and the 'surprise' tart are good, but for me it's one of those books that I'll probably use a couple of times, but it will never become a favourite.

Plenty