on 29 March 2004
With just a few of the techniques that I picked up in this book - Shadow/Highlight, Auto Colour, (Tone) Levels and Unsharp Mask - I've been able to dramatically improve the quality of a recent set of holiday snaps. And by spending only a couple of minutes per snap too! The Shadow/Highlight feature, in particular, is absolutely fantastic. (It's new to CS, before all you Photoshop 7 owners try to find it.)
I wouldn't say prior use of Photoshop itself is a requirement for reading this book, but familiarity with some kind of graphics package definitely is. A lot of the techniques use layers, so if you don't know what a layer is then you're going to struggle. I'd used levels in Paintshop Pro and had no problem with them in Photoshop.
The book is written in a down to earth, often very jokey style. The jokes are usually pretty awful by the way (and I think the author knows it!) but they never get in the way of the information being dispensed. The author gives real world examples too. So rather than a "if you move this slider to the right it increases the effect of saturation in the picture" approach that you get from other books, this author actually TELLS you what to do. E.g, "for an indoor portrait you want values of X, Y, Z in that dialog, but if it's a landscape then you put A, B and C in there"... and so on. He usually has more than one approach to any given situation too. So, if one of his techniques doesn't do it for you there's usually another one or two alternatives to try.
One very minor quibble for me, as an amateur: a good chunk of the book - probably about a quarter of it - is aimed squarely at professionals. It's not that the professional techniques are any harder to understand, it's just that there's few situations in which I can envisage using them. For example, I'm never going to be doing photographs for Estate Agents in which I need to replace a pissing-down-with-rain sky with a nice sunny one. Neither do I think I'll refer to the numerous pages on how to remove people's wrinkles, moles and other skin blemishes. (I'm with Oliver Cromwell on that one).
As I said though, that's a very minor quibble and in no way does it subtract from the value of this excellent book.
Cheers,
Brownie
on 15 November 2004
Ordered the book thursday night from amazon, dispatched, Friday am, received monday am, and now monday pm am a complete convert. Extremely easy to follow book if you have a little photoshop knowledge and want to understand how to perform a photoshop task. Probably still a 4 out of 5 even if you have no prior photoshop knowledge cos it'll get you into it really quickly. It's kind of like someones ripped all the best tutorials out of the centre of amateur photographer magazine, made them easier to follow, and compiled the last 6 years worth into a book. I'll say no more.......
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 July 2004
The book is written clearly, with plenty of screenshots showing each step of the transformation for each example.
The examples range from quite simple colour replacement and straightening of pictures to potentially complex tasks such as changing a frown to a smile and actually altering physical features of a portrait.
As an inexperienced user of the software I recommend this book highly for learning a large number of aspects relating to photo editing.
on 25 January 2004
A really excellent book if you want to know exactly how to do something and be guided to the best settings to use - it's great not having to go through pages and pages of how to do all sorts of things that photographers don't need!
I moved to digital photography after working film for over 20 years and have found this to be the most helpful of all the Photoshop books I have read
on 16 October 2004
It takes a lot for me to motivate myself to give a review. Out of the MANY computer manuals I've bought on Amazon this is the best. Great techniques, the right amount of detail and contrary to other opinions, the jokes are funny!!
I'm not a beginner with photoshop, in fact I'll be training people to use it soon, but I've learnt a LOT from this book. Trust me, it's that good!
on 22 March 2005
I bought this book a month ago and can only say that I've been blown right from the beginning! It's an amazing wellwritten book that cuts all the crap and tells how to do things the right way to make your photo editing succesfull from the start! I can only recommend this book to any novice photographer who wants to learn how to edit digital photos on their computer.
The only annoying hitch about this book is the authors sometimes ridiculous way of wasting his readers time by fooling around - and that's sad because it's otherwise a well written book. He often spends too much time joking and that is a waste of the reader's time and ink. Cut all the fooling around away and the book would get 5 stars from me.
Otherwise I can only recommend this book.
on 13 May 2004
This book is not just a reference of all the buttons and functions of Photoshop CS. It's a treasure trove full of techniques that you can use to work with your digital photos, which is far more useful than a reference manual.
on 8 January 2004
This is an absolutly fantastic book for existing Photoshop users - IT IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS !!
Scott Kelby has produced a beautifully clear guide - everything however 'sophisticated' the procedure is simply explained - giving all the settings to achieve fantastic results. His chapters on the 'New Browser' in CS and 'Colour Correction' - really enable you to get the best out of Photoshop and your Images. By design he does not waste paper covering basic principles - pleny of other Photoshop books do that. He concentrates on the 'Newe Stuff'!! included in CS and taking procedures such as 'Retouching' and 'Body Sculpting' to new heights - all absolutly fascinating.
The book is designed for Professional and Amateur photographers alike - there are certain aspects marked ' for Pros only' that I am sure will really be appreciated by them. I am just an amateur - improving I hope - but am totally addicted to Photoshop. This book definitly has me hooked !!
on 9 November 2004
A friend recommended this book to me, I can't thank him enough.
This book really is an essential buy for anyone who wants to know how to edit images. It doesn't bother to fill pages with such things as; this is a computer, this a digital camera etc.
It just gets stuck in with meaningful steps and dialog. Screen shots accompany the steps which help you to find your way.
It's written in very down to earth manner, with a bit of humour thrown in where needed.
on 19 September 2004
I was fairly new to Photoshop CS, and yet found the step by step instructions on how to correct common issues, very easy to follow. The difference with this book is that you are given sample values for all of the actions that you perform - a wealth of experience that allows you to shortcut some of the trial and error.
The book leans more towards portrait photography (in my view), and adjusting 'people' issues. Yellow teeth and eyes, and wrinkles may well be a thing of the past!!
Don't be intimidated by the 'For Pro's Only' tags on some of the pages. They are still easy to follow tips, and well worth having a go at.