4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
I liked the characters and the storyline in this book. Will definitely go into my favourites and I will enjoy reading it again.
Published 15 months ago by Jangler

Published 19 days ago by Judge Tabor

3.0 out of 5 stars Accused Heroine, Disillusioned Hero Find One Another After Long Years Apart, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: Petals in the Storm: Fallen Angels #3 (Regency series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Although Mary Joe Putney is a gifted writer technically, this book's storyline was somewhat boring. I'm going through some of my books and taking a second read in order to refresh my mind and write reviews. I just completed the first book in this series - Nicholas' and Clare's book and gave it a whopping 5 stars. However, I didn't enjoy Rafe's and Margot's book nearly as much.

The young 21 year old Rafe fell in love with Margot when they first met in London 13 years previous to where this story begins. He and Margot were engaged, however, one of Rafe's friends made disparaging comments about Margot and unfortunately the youthful, jealous Rafe believed the "gentleman's" words and accused Margot of the unthinkable. She never denied the charges made against her, but she denied Rafe of her company thereafter and very shortly her father moved her from London to France.

For some years, Rafe has believed that both Margot and her father were killed in France at the hands of an unruly mob, however he has never forgotten the lovely girl of his youth and all women since that time have only been shadows of his long lost love. When his friend, Lucien, requests that Rafe travel to France to do some spy work on behalf of England, he is told he will be working with the "most beautiful woman in France." Rafe very willingly goes mostly because he's super bored with his life, never imagining he will encounter his long lost love in the persona and spy, the Countessa Magda Janos. Margot, however, is no longer the sweet innocent girl he knew in London, rather she is now "a survivor" of sorts and has found her niche in the roles she portrays.

Rafe has it bad for Margot and wants her back in his life, at first as a mistress, then eventually realizes he would have her at any price. But... there's a hindrance in their lives in the person of Margot's friend and companion spy - Robin - mostly due to the fact they obviously have an intimate personal history in more ways than simple spying and friendship. Rafe literally burns at the thoughts that plague his mind when he considers that Margot belongs to another man.

Rafe has some hard truths to learn, including how he misjudged the youthful Margot. While Rafe attempts to come to terms with his past, the reasons he was sent to France - to actually avert the assassination of an important personage - come to the forefont of the storyline. People are kidnapped and hurt, traitors are revealed, and worst of all, Rafe has to finally hear from Robin some very harsh facts of Margot's life that nearly send him over the edge. These revealed truths cause Rafe to be willing to give her up, although it will be like having a limb cut from his body - or worse.

Although a nice, sweet story in many ways, I found all the boring "spy" details de trop and kept waiting for the romance fill ins which, I must say, did come to a very fulfilling ending with some sweet words spoken to his lady by the handsome Rafe. The ending was the best part by far - yet, to me, this book is only three star worthy overall.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best, 24 April 2014
I was looking forward to read Rafe's story, but this was really disappointing. The plot was uninspiring and I found myself a bit bored to be honest. Definitely not her best work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 15 July 2013