5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 22 Jan 2006
Paracelsus1966 (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ikon of Eros (Audio CD)
I picked this CD up and have very happy memories of walking all over Hollywood while listening to this on my Walkman in what was a virtual daze.
Having only heard a short extract before, on the 'Portrait' CD on Naxos, which I didn't like very much (the extract, I mean - that CD is recommended, especially for the newcomer to Tavener, and includes a great interview with him, plus Prayer of the Heart featuring Bjork), I was thrilled to discover that Ikon of Eros as a whole is an absolute masterwork. It is almost needless to recommend any Tavener CD that features Patricia Rozario - they're almost all 'must haves' - but this is definitely one of the best, partially due to the marvellous acoustic of the Cathedral of St Paul, Saint Paul, MI, and Jorja Fleezanis's haunting violin, which dominates the piece.
The radio interview included on the CD is not by way of filler, either: Ikon of Eros lasts for over an hour. I can't really say anything else about this music, it's simply transcendant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly moving, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Ikon of Eros (Audio CD)
I didn't know what to expect, but was caught from the start. To me, this is utterly moving. Heartbreaking & lovely. Outstanding!

Tavener: Ikon Of Eros