4.0 out of 5 stars A great concept, but preffered the Short Story.
After having read the novelette version of Blood Music i found the concept extremely intrigueing and decided to read the extended novel. The novel contains the same concepts of the novelette and develops some of the ideas.

The novel follows the seperate (yet intertwined) stories of a few different characters, which eventually lead to the dramatic and enigmatic...
Published on 3 May 2009 by N. Durand

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong Ideas Overshadow Weak Execution
One of the most memorably tongue-in-cheek creations of Douglas Adams was a madness booth--designed to make its victims insane, simply and effectively, by displaying them "to-scale" beside the rest of the cosmos.
In many ways, it's the same trick Bear's best novels play on a reader's mind, forever putting it in contexts too vast to afford the thing any...
Published on 14 Aug 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, but get the Gollancz S.F Copy., 22 April 2010
This is a fantastic book, reguardless of its floors the concept is so strong that it carries the novel, and alone makes it worth reading. Howerver I would recomend you get the Gollancz S.F Copy, its just a personal preference but I think that Blood Music (Gollancz S.F.)cover is far far nicer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly imaginative, 5 Dec 2013
matt dales (brighton, east sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read this book a while ago as the first Greg Bear I had come across. It rates as one of my all time favourites partly for the rich yet flowing way it is written but mostly because the story is fresh in the way it projects a possible future from contemporary science without being cyber-punk (not that i have anything against cyber-punk, Vurt by William Gibson is another favourite). I thoroughly recommend this book to all sci-fi readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! One of the best sci-fi/apocalypse stories I have read!, 15 May 2013
This one ticked all the boxes for me, definitely one to keep to read and re-read. A haunting tale, both sad and hopeful, that kept me thinking about aspects of the story for a long time after reading it. Not too much technical jargon and the characters are enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plague - but not as you know it, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Blood Music (S.F. Masterworks) (Kindle Edition)
An wonderful (and early) musing on the notion of biological computers. Bear never stints on the biological sciences and this raises some of the earliest sf themes regarding "garbage" DNA and what it's good (or not so good) for. Short, well scripted and engaging, this is a classic sampling of Bear in formation.

sf_hound

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the personally most influential books I've read., 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Blood Music (S.F. Masterworks) (Kindle Edition)
I have loved this novel since its appearance on the SF market. I find the concepts both exhilarating and challenging and Bear hits the target with his usual elegance and pace. Since I have no in-depth scientific background worthy of placing on my CV I find reading the hard science passages akin to a soaring poetic experience where the language seduces and convinces without my having to fully comprehend. The sci-facts are pure language-at-play and wash over the neurones with assuring authority. I couldn't challenge his premise about intelligent viruses nor do I care to. This is excruciatingly riveting stuff and I strap in and enjoy the roller coaster.

I trust someone working at Bear's level of competence to have done his homework and if he is describing laboratory procedures and research parameters I go along for the trip knowing he has his reasons. His job is to engage me in the world he is creating. Engage and immerse. And challenge. Engage, immerse, challenge and THRILL.

Well, he has done that with Blood Music. His descriptions of the gradually transforming world post-Ulam are incredibly evocative and have astonishing power. Why BM hasn't been silver screened yet is a mystery. I must have read this work about forty times and am glad to finally own it on Kindle. A rare, visionary, thrilling and paradigm-expanding work, superbly told and a real keeper. Thanks Greg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, though provoking; barely dated!, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Blood Music (S.F. Masterworks) (Kindle Edition)
As scary as when I first read it. Blood Music is interesting, poignant, funny and, I'll say it again, scary!

4.0 out of 5 stars Though Provoking and Chilling, 4 Sep 2012
Blood Music is one of many books that have dealt with human extinction by its own hand, but it is much more than that it also about the very perception of existance in the first place.
There is much to criticise if you wish to nitpick, for example the characters are paper thin plot ciphers and, more glaringly, the novel has been completely overtaken by technology and geopolitical events, and yet these faults can mostly be overlooked when the story itself is so chillingly rendered. As others have said in their reviews this is deeply thought provoking novel that lives on in your mind long after you have finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars nightmarish and inspiring, 30 May 2011
rob crawford "Rob Crawford" (Balmette Talloires, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is another one of those hard scifi novels that has it all: some new scientific discovery (the creation of intelligent cells and what unexpected things they do) and very very good and unusual characters. Also, Bear takes his time, enticing the reader with clues and tidbits about what is going to happen as things appear to be changing so fundamentally that mankind will end. The ending is also a surprise, and does not disappoint: so often you get to the end and think, "that's all it is?" This is inner space at its very best.

You won't be disappointed by this one. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars blood music - worth a read, 27 April 2010
I found Blood Music a really interesting read, based on a microbiology rather then outer space or the mind. a well meaning scientist unleases his works onto the human race with very unusal effects, I enjoyed reading this novel, its written in away that makes it an easy but facinating read, its also easy to understand without having to be clued up on science. I was also suprised i didnt find this book disturbing in its context, rather found i coldnt put it down as wanted to see what would happen next.
worth reading even if ur not a great sci-fi fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Genesis of the "Grey Goo" genre?, 10 Jun 2012
Lark (North Coast of Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There is a genre in science fiction dedicated to genetic and biological engineering or experimentation gone awry reducing mankind to either "grey goo" or in which mankind becomes the prey of "grey goo" (most recently nano-technology and micro mechanical "life forms" have been added to the mix). This is one of the earliest modern novels on the topic that I know of and some of the "germ warfare" sci fi books which I know which predate it are very different and usually dont develop that angle too much.

The storyline follows a number of different characters, initially a researcher and his confidant, then scientist-researchers from his company, survivors from an America overwhelmed by the intelligent virus/experiment itself, then further science/physics theorists and of course the "noocytes" themselves.

The first part of the book reminded me of an episode from the relaunch of The Outer Limits, although I am not sure if this was an attempt to adapt the story in part, and was good but not as interesting or readable as the later half of the book in which the survivors scar the post-apocalyptic landscape of the US and even stranger plot lines are developed about the possible warping of reality and time itself. I thought that the pace throughout was good and managed to be engaging without dumbing down its subject matter to reach a wider audience, that said it isnt too complex and does not descend into journalistic reportage of biological science innovations.

I have heard complaints that the later half of the book descends into being too far out weirdness with its quantum mechanics and physics angles but I liked it and would recommend the book for that alone. I would recommend it to fans of the sci fi masterworks series and anyone who likes science fiction in general.

The cover art on this edition I think is rubbish, I wondered why it was produced given that the previous artwork was a good illustration of a scene from the book itself but then I remembered that it does feature the twin towers of the world trade centre. I hope that wouldnt be sufficient to put anyone off buying the book.

Blood Music (S.F. Masterworks)