5.0 out of 5 stars Best late night listening
I purchased this after seeing Curtis Stigers sing most of the tracks in concert. I love it. Although I think it would probably be best listened to late at night whilst relaxing with a glass of wine I love playing it in the car whenever the mood takes me. Play it, love it.
Published 23 months ago by Lizziemac

3.0 out of 5 stars Curtis Stiger's new album
I was so looking forward to this new album as I have been a fan of curtis Stigers for a number of years and have seen him live in concert but after playing this Cd once I was very disappointed. His style of songs has changed on this album-I much prefer his previous ones of which I have quite a number.
I have re-sold this album.
Published 24 months ago by Mrs. Kath Bowe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best late night listening, 28 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite., 26 Mar 2012
Mr. D. Bain "Dave Bain" (Nottingham England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
If you have followed Stigers' career you will know that he quickly discarded the power ballad type of sound that made him famous. From his 4th album to this current one (his 10th studio album) he has consistantly turned out very high class jazz albums. Here he pretty much sticks to the formula that has worked so well on his previous 6 albums, If you like them, you will most certainly like this. Of the ten tracks on the album every one is a gem. The album kicks off with 'things have changed' written by Bob Dylan (one of Stigers' musical heros,) an excellent version that reveals how great a lyricist Dylan is. The second song is such a spine tingling beautiful ballad, as good as anything he has previously recorded. By the third song the listener is well and truly hooked. Unlike his previous albums this one contains no Stigers originals. All songs are covers, the standouts for me are Richard Thompson's 'waltzing's for dreamers' and Neil finn's 'into temptation'. Absolutely first rate stuff, great songs, great musicians, great voice and great production from the masterful Larry Klein (who I beleive is the ex husband, bass player and producer of Joni Mitchel). My personal album of the year so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
If you Like Curtis Stigers, I would recommend this CD. A good collection of songs from CS with interesting themes and lyrics. He still has a great voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
This is my favourite CD in my collection, so pleased bought it, he has a great voice, when I play it I end up relaxing and listening to the words as they are so meaningful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jazz, great recording quality, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
Curtis has evolved into an important jazz musician to reckon with: enchanting, passionate and moody. What's more a great sounding recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate curtis stigers..., 6 April 2013
K. Wood "christina" (sticks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
I bought this for my partner as he loves a bit of Curtis (urg) but i have to admit, this is nothing like the Curtis i know (although a couple of the songs are a bit old school). It is excellent, his voice sounds older and raspy and the music slightly jazzy so i am hooked. My partner loves this too.

4.0 out of 5 stars classy album, coherent melancholic mood, perfect background music on a grey day, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
I haven't listened to this album multiple times yet, but I can immediately say this : it's like a concept album, having clearly intended, a remarkable unity in its style and atmosphere, which is slow and melancholic.

I have found only one personal top favourite song so far : the hauntingly beautiful title track (not as festive as the title suggest). Therefor I give no 5 stars.
Yet it IS a strong album, for it's coherence and overall mood. Perfect background, for instance on a grey day.
Curtis Stigers remains a very good singer, accompanied by excellent musicians, tastefully "converting" a broad selection of songs into his own style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool listening, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
Saw him in brilliant concert earlier this year and this CD demonstrates exactly the same feeling of class and cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Stigers, 23 Dec 2012
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
Can Curtis get any better than this? Today..most probably not. Tomorrow...hell who knows. He's certainly the best interpreter of the modern songwriter not to mention the classic american songbook. There really isn't a duff track on this although my favourite is Chances Are. It's bluesy, folksy, jazzy...it's just fantastic. Can't wait for the next tour. Buy this...you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but in a good way, 8 July 2012
Greg Cray (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
I bought this CD when it was released, but have had little time to give it a proper listen. I then saw Curtis at Ronnie Scott's in Soho, London, a couple of weeks ago where he played quite a number of the tracks (certainly 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7). As ever, it was a superb evening, Curtis appears to love Ronnie's and we the audience certainly love him (he appears at Ronnie's every June or July, the romantic in me likes to think he does it for the love of it as he can certainly sell out far bigger venues). So why am I telling you all this? This is supposed to be a CD, not a gig review, right? Well my point is that what you hear on this CD is a very close representation of the live performance, because Curtis is a great singer, not a bad sax player and plays with an absolutely top notch band, many of which have been with him for many years.

To close, this CD is a bit more the bluesy end of jazz than blues proper, so if you like Curtis' jazzy stuff then this CD will also hit the spot. Whatever your poison though, this record continues to put musical miles between what Mr Stigers represented as a pop artist in the 80s / 90s (ok if you like that sort of thing - I don't) and the very fine jazz vocalist he is now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaaa70498)

Let's Go Out Tonight
Let's Go Out Tonight by Curtis Stigers (Audio CD - 2012)