Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 June 2012
There's something reassuring about coming across a lyric or melody that you're used to hearing even if it's not in your native tongue. Such is the case with the track "Seolta Geala" and in as much as I've come to associate it with the gustily delivered shanty "Rio Grande" I stand to be corrected as I can't confirm the lyrics having extensively trawled the net. I've often said before that even if I can't understand a word of Gaelic it is how it's presented that leaves me hot or cold depending on whose interpretation I'm listening to. When it's in the more than capable hands of Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh and fellow band members Ciaran Curran, Ciaran Tourish, Daithi Sproule, Mark Kelly and Dermot Byrne I think you can safely assume everything is right with the world particularly after twenty-five years of the band performing together. Whether it's the straight forward `no frills' approach they take with their instrumental set-pieces including established favourites "A Fig For A Kiss" or the uncommonly slow arrangement of "The Wheels Of The World" this recording may possibly prove somewhat pedestrian for the general public (and even some `folk' audiences) but personally I've come to enjoy the more laid-back approach in the twilight of my years...or is that a case of me being ageist? This recording may not perhaps be a rip-snorting blaze of pyrotechnics but if you're looking for something deliciously Celtic to sit alongside your Ed Sheeran CD you'll doubtless enjoy this release.

PETE FYFE
on 22 June 2016
Came across this band in Portree, Isle of Skye and loved them, especially fiddler Mairead. First class.
on 4 September 2013
I bought this for my husband as a gift. He has other albums and was a bit disappointed. He didn't feel that there was enough of the traditional style of music which he enjoys and enjoyed Altan for
on 1 May 2012
Title says it all....

I thoroughly enjoyed earlier Altan ( I think the Red Crow was the first of about 3 previous Altan albums I own ), but although I can recognise that the musical talent is immense, to me, this is not translated into passionate and enjoyable music, which is a shame.

Played it a few times, hoping it would grow on me, but no sparks yet :(

I would say that their technique is astounding, but with all that they really don't excite me the way their earlier music did.

If you are an Altan fan, you will probably enjoy it, if just tinkering, then try an earlier disc ( or compilation ? ).
on 11 July 2013
As regards service ten out of ten. it came quicly and was well packaged. The music is superb. Many yearsago I married a very, loving, kind, gentle, intelligent and beautiful Gaelic speaking Irish redhead and had nealy ten, very happy years togethr, and two lovely daughters. Sadly she was taken from us by somebody who thought they could cotrol a car when drunk. I will confess that this album did brin a tear to my eye.
77 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2012
Nothing really to say. It was ordered; it was payed for; it arrived. It all took about a minute. It always does.