on 19 September 2014
I work from home and have a dedicated office phone line and phone. Previously this was a BT Decor phone, which did its job but was beginning to show signs of wear and tear. At the same time my (separate) answer machine (BT R75) was definitely showing its age after many years of service (at least 10 years and probably closer to 20 - my memory is also fading!). So I needed to find replacements. I was going to go for the same, especially as I found (very surprisingly) that you can still buy the R75 answer machine. However a new phone + the R75 would have cost around £60-£70, whereas this phone has an inbuilt answer machine and only cost £24.50. I didn't have to think for very long!

It is very easy to use and set up. Please don't believe some of the other reviews - the set up is very easy and is NOT confusing. You simply press the menu and scroll through until you find the option that you want. You then select that option (press ok) and then scroll again changing the settings within that particular option to suit your tastes.

There are other melodies available, non of which I liked, but the default ring tone is a phone ringing ringtone - do you need anything else?

All usual functions are available; mute, handsfree, volume +/-, personal phone directory (although you need to input names and numbers, of course) and on top of this an answer machine as well!

It is very easy to record your own answer message and easy to play and listen to the messages (which are clear). The answer machine will beep if you have messages, but if you don't like this (I don't, it's annoying) you simply press Menu, go to Answer Machine options (press ok) and then scroll down to message alert and change it to 'off'.

I also have a separate fax machine and this works fine with the new phone. If I am out, the answer machine kicks in after 4 rings (I have set it to that), the fax tone is recognized and it's then diverted to the fax. If I'm in the office and pick up the phone to hear a fax tone, I again leave it for 4 rings and the fax kicks in. Easy.

The only thing I can't comment on is how robust the phone will be, as I have only just bought it, but I have been very pleased with my previous BT products and hopefully this one will be the same. If it only lasts 2 years, it is still pretty good value for money, and if it lasts 5 or 10 years it will be a bargain!

Incidentally, if you were looking at this phone because of the built in answer machine, but still decide to go for a separate answer machine - look no further than the BT R75!
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2012
Good phone, large directory but the buttons are a bit hit and miss. For instance to display the phone list of missed calls you constantly press the calls button to review the list but this phone seems to have a dodgy button and doesnt scroll every time. It is no real issue and works fine apart from that. I would certainly buy another as cordless phones go missing and it is hard to get a good corded phone these days.
on 25 February 2012
Good phone, though will need some pads at base as it tends to slide on table. Needs to be a bit heavier.

Big buttons great and downloaded the manual easy enough.

My only oversight, which is not BT's fault is there are no 'quick dial' buttons. My old phones had buttons that could be pressed and it would ring preset numbers. Also the lead for the answerphone bit doesn't have very good purchase at the back of the phone as it has come out twice.

Saying all that I am still pleased with it.
on 8 October 2013
I needed to replace one of my two trim style 'phones due to a loud hum in one handset.

Checking out the selection at Amazon I decided it was time to get a model which included an answer
machine and chose the BT Decor 2500. It performs perfectly for me with large buttons, clear sound and
easy to retrieve messages.

I was not unduly concerned by lack of a battery memory back-up but there is a model in the BT range for those
who have numerous numbers to store. Delivered by Amazon within 24 hours and admired by my visitors.
on 26 June 2012
This phone is everything we wanted. Sound quality is good both when talking 'live' and when listening to a recorded message. I really like the handsfree option which I've not had before. My Mum, who doesn't hear very well, can hear me OK both when I speak into the receiver and also when I use the handsfree. I also like the fact that you don't have to put a battery in - of course this does mean you lose the programmed settings if you have a power cut.
on 14 April 2014
I bought this phone for my Dad - he LOVES it - the answer phone is very good - the phone is very clear as are the instructions - I downloaded the detailed instructions (it does come with a shortened version) the downloaded instructions are very clear and easy to follow - it was all set up with phone numbers entered within half an hour! My Dad particularly likes the hands free as he has a hearing aid and finds it easier to use hands free - he's had the phone for 4 days now and he was raving about it last night - I think I might get one for myself! I would definately recommend this phone to everyone - it's good looking and well made.
on 5 March 2014
Good telephone/answerphone combination which performs well. One annoying absence is a backlighted display which means ambient lighting has to be quite bright to read it. I would have thought that a 'phone which is mains powered would have had a more readable display.
on 24 November 2013
It is hard to find conventional phones with built in answer machines and this is a good size and design for a home office. The answer machine recording quality is fine - not crystal clear but better than many other phones. The menu is a bit cumbersome as there is lots of scrolling involved and it reverts to default mode if you don't touch it for a few seconds, which means you have to scroll through the options all over again, but otherwise it's simple enough to use. The phone beeps in an extremely annoying way if there is an answer phone message - it may be possible to turn this off but I have yet to find the menu option to do that (I admit I have not tried very hard as I have a life). The main reason for the low rating is that after a few days the display stopped working, rendering the phone useless. Amazon replaced it with no quibbles and one month in, the replacement is still working.
on 17 November 2013
Purchased this because we need a landline as well as the cordless phones, in emergency cordless will not operate and this is a great standby
on 18 April 2012
Having read about the annoying ring tones (absolutely true: there is only one which is acceptable) I was a bit nervous about buying the phone, though it is really the only sensible option available if you want a traditional, corded phone with answering machine. I found it easy to set up and fairly intuitive - no problems with changing the ring tone. But then I wasn't trying to follow instruction manual which may be confusing. A bit lighter than its predecessor but well thought out controls.