Netgear XAVB5201 500 Powerline Adapter Kit for me is a must have for when I wanted to extend my internet connection to my the electrical socket where my television was plugged in to enable the many channels now offered such as BBCi Player etc.
Published on 21 Nov. 2012 by Petra "I love to read"

1.0 out of 5 stars CONSTANTLY CUT OUT - SIMPLY DON'T WORK
These are utterly useless and not fit for purpose, they just don't work.

I was a massive fan of the older Netgear EoP adaptors but these newer (supposedly faster) models are just too sensitive.

Published 9 months ago by PeterDC

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple to install even I did it without asking for help!!!!, 21 Nov. 2012
Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Netgear Powerline adapter actually speeds up to 500 Mbps to enable applications such as HDTV, online gaming etc. though different homes will have variable internet speeds but no matter what speed of internet you have these plugs will enable your devices to connect to the internet for you to use the many new channels on your games console or television.
Why I liked this set of plugs so much was due to the fact that it really was a matter of plugging in the adapter to the electric socket attach one (using the leads provided) to your electrical device which you want enabled and one to your internet modem or hub. There was no software to be installed and what made these plugs convenient they actually showed what electrical socket was more suitable by the middle light showing three different colours and they are as follows:-
1. Green: Link rate > 80 Mbps(Best)
2. Amber: Link rate> 50 Mbps and <80 Mbps (roughly jumps between these two speeds)Still good but just not as strong
3. Red: Link rate < 50 Mbps (good) still receiving a good connection but at a lower rate.
They provide the above information that you are enabled to get the best performance possible from your adapters and this for me was an added bonus.
I found with my internet connection at different times of day I received different rates but stayed mainly amber and moving down to red at around 6pm-10pm. I was still able to do what I wanted, films still play smoothly and games on my Wii were running at a good speed.
There is also a security attachment which is a quick click of a small button positioned at the bottom left hand corner this can be done but not necessary, if you want to do this it must be done after you plug in the adapter. The small button must be pressed for 2 seconds for each plug and within 2 minutes of each other.
One important note is that the powerline devices are not plugged into an extension cord or surge protector they must be plugged directly into the electrical socket to be able to receive the best internet speed for your own enjoyment mainly as the higher the speed the devices will work better and lesson the buffering which so far I have not been troubled with.
Also provided through NETGEAR is websites where you register your product and also provide a lot of helpful information for the adapters.
I highly recommend the Netgear Powerline 500 Mbps Adapter XAVB5201 as an excellent adapter to enable internet connections for your many devices which are now able to connect to the internet. The main reason for this is the simple act of plugging and playing and I was able to connect my television to my favourite channels online and also because I was able to add other adapters to the other electrical sockets made sure my internet connection flowed freely throughout the home without any difficulties whatsoever.

1.0 out of 5 stars CONSTANTLY CUT OUT - SIMPLY DON'T WORK, 3 July 2014
These are utterly useless and not fit for purpose, they just don't work.

I needed to get 2 more but read online that you shouldn't mix different types on the same network so ended up getting 4 of these. All of them cut out regularly. Sometimes they will briefly lose connection like every 5 minutes and then return a few minutes later, other times they will just get 'stuck' until you turn it off and on again (very annoying when you have other things plugged into them too). All the while they display 3 green lights on the front, indicating that everything is OK.

The useless Windows application used to configure these (not that there's many settings you can change) doesn't ever report a problem. The older versions allowed you to hack your way into a 'hidden' web config page where you could tweak just about everything but I believe these ones don't have a web interface at all.

I thought it was a strange case of the house I was in at the time (very old wiring) and put it down to that but once we moved (to a 5 year old 'new build') it's just as bad, even worse perhaps. If you think you can stream even a tiny SD transmission over your network, forget it, it just won't cope. I'm a web developer and use the Internet all day and it's now gotten to the point that I'm going to have to find an alternative solution. They all independently drop the connection too, so it's not like one of them is faulty.

5.0 out of 5 stars My life is transformed!, 23 May 2014
Emma "City chick!" (Cambridge, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This might sound far-fetched, but this heavenly little device has actually transformed my life (including my love life!)

I live in the top of a London town house (third floor). The walls are thick, and the floors are many. Also, the Atlantic is huge, and thence is where my husband lives :( AND NOW I CAN ACTUALLY SEE HIM ON SKYPE! And he is not made of one pixel! No! Nor even 3 pixels!! But many many glorious pixels! :):):) My PC is now enjoying a wired connection, and it is faster than a fast thing that leaves a shovel quickly!

AND!

I can watch Amazon Prime movies and TV programs on my TV via my wi-fi ready blu-ray player without the signal disappearing and never coming back, as this little baby right here creates a wi-fi hotspot right in my room for any additional devices which don't have the honour of being on the wired connection.

Thank you Santa! And Netgear! And Amazon!!!

/leaves quietly

1.0 out of 5 stars Great in theory - poor in practice, 27 April 2013
These are certainly not cheap but they do appear solid and well made. They do connect on a plug and play basis - unless you try and switch on the encryption in which case you may end up with the dreaded yellow triangle and the 'unidentified network' message. Having been there before with other home plugs I know what a life-shortening exercise trying to trouble shoot it can be - so I just reset all the units to the factory default and they worked.

Have to agree with the other reviewer about the location of the RJ45 port on the top - very odd placement. The big plus is that you can stick these in the wall socket and then plug your extension block into it, because mains networking works far more effectively on an unfiltered signal so avoid plugging into multi adapters, four gangs and other such extension leads.

Is it quicker than my old (85mbps) set up? Yes certainly for some stuff, noticeably so; but streamed video and ODTV is probably where you notice the real difference.

Netgear build quality so no problems there but a star off for the dud encryption which I could not get to work.

Update - I have decided to update my review and revise the star rating based on a few weeks of use. I have had endless problems with these devices (and I have been successfully using homeplugs for years). The issue is not the speed, although that can be lamentable at times, it's the latency. The signal seems to drop temporarily and then come back again - it's akin to being on dial up at times. I have tried everything: encrypting, resetting, changing to different sockets, with and without pass through, even different RJ45 cables and have come to the conclusion that these are just not fit for purpose. A stroll round a few web forums suggests I am not alone. Netgear kit has always been solid, dependable kit in my experience but these are being uninstalled and returned to the shop for a refund after six weeks of networking hell. I really have had enough and I cannot recommend these based on my experience. My old Newlink 85Mbps homeplugs give a faster and more dependable service than these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple household networking., 27 May 2013
Works well across house. No problem across different household circuits. Don't expect 500 Mbps though. 170 to 200 is what Zi have achieved. A big improvement over WiFi though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extend your HIGH SPEED WI-FI throughout your house., 14 Nov. 2014
Absolutely just what i wanted. The 500Mbps is th DB's, dont settle for anything else. A doddle to set up (even with a Virgin superhub) as there are videos to help you on the Virgin technical help page.
Performs just as it should, excellent for getting HIGH SPEED WI-FI into my new house extension.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Solution - One (Very, very) Minor Disappointment, 5 April 2013
I would have given these adapters 4.5 stars if I could. The Netgear Powerline adapters are slim [approximately as wide as a British Standard 13Amp plug] shallow and well made pair of network extenders. As I do with most reviews, feedback is offered as a series of positive and negative observations:-

Positives
1. These are seriously fast. I would need to run some proper speed tests [and if I can figure out how to do that reliably, I will] but they are decently quick. I have a late-generation Mac Mini in one room, and a QNAP NAS 2 rooms away: these adapters were able to comfortably stream 1080P HD Video footage, without jitter, lag or flaw, and that means that inter-room video streaming should work flawlessly.
2. They really are trivially easy to set up [i.e. plug them in to active mains sockets; wait (briefly)]. I haven't tried extending a network to more devices, but I can't imagine it will be more complicated, and point-to-point is simple.
3. They are compact in size and shape. If you locate one in a living space and/or in view, it won't look out of place. It's about the same size as a computerized timer switch. They are also made from a robust molded plastic, so I have every expectation they will survive attacks from enthusiastic vacuum cleaners...
4. They also offer their own mains socket integrated into the front face. This means that you don't lose a mains point, which is very convenient if you don't have a surplus and want to avoid having to resort to a 4-way extension block. That's a useful, thoughtful addition.

Negative
1. This isn't really fair... I'm offering this as a negative but I'm not sure it really qualifies. The Ethernet port is situated on the top edge of these units - you can see it on the Amazon product photograph. In my case I have routed my Ethernet cables under the edge of a carpet and would have been happier if the sockets were on the underside [maybe a second on the base?] since I now have to loop extra cable "up and over" to reach the top surface. [ Note: If you want decent network speeds, *don't* allow tight bend radius turns in your RJ45 cabling, since this causes the copper conductor in the cable to distort [technical term: necking] which degrades the performance of your patch chord. In slower - i.e 100Mb/s ] gear, you won't notice the difference, but with these running at 500Mb/s, you certainly will... For that reason the Ethernet port on the top surface is significant, because it means you have to be very careful about the way your cables reach these adapters...

You'll probably agree that marking these down for the location of the Ethernet port is a bit harsh, and I accept that, but these really are *that* good I can find nothing else to quibble over.

Great product, would buy more without hesitation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, 12 July 2013
R. BROAD (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought two sets of these to be able to include a Netgear WiFi adaptor to extend the range of my BT Infinity set up which currently using 3 Arcnet powerline adaptors. Although the Arcnet worked fine - the Netgear WiFi extender adaptor would not work with them. As I needed three adaptors plus the WiFi extender adaptor I bit the bullet and boulght two sets of AV+500 Netgear adaptors (four in total).

The first set of two worked brilliantly - much faster speed than Arcnet and stable BUT when I added one from the second set the whole set up stopped working and no PowerLine could be detected. The second set of two also worked together - but not when a third was added.

I spent - in total - three hours on the phone to Netgear support - very nice gentleman who was very helpful - I attempted all of his suggestions (resets, different pairings, security resets etc etc etc) - all to no avail.

Netgears conclusion was that these should all work together - but for some reason they did not - and I should return them to the retailer for a refund - they gave me a case number to quote.

Now the wierd thing - I had previously purchased the Netgear XAVNB2001 range extender kit which comprised of one XAVN2001 WiFi range adaptor and one XAV1301 mini-adaptor. Before returning the adaptors I plugged these in and they worked fine with the AV+500 Nano Adaptors.

Hence the Netgear system works very well with 500 adaptors from the router and to the PC, a 200 adaptor for YouView and a 200 WiFi adaptor to cover the upstairs (BT HomeHub range is poor). In fact this is the best network setip that I have experienced and is very pleasing.

BUT the system will not work with three or four 500+ adaptors - no reason given by Netgear other than they must be faulty and should be returned to the retailer for refund.

Hence 3 star rating - the overall Netgear system is very good - but not with items that should work together but did not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good devices, connected up to existing network running powerline adapters with no major issues., 4 Jan. 2015
J. Ledger "Jake" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Connected these up to two previous Netgear power link adapters that I had already located around the house and they work fine with them.

You never get the fully advertised 500Mbps through put so don't expect to be getting speeds that quick but when testing the device I've got around 370Mbps with sockets on the same breaker and around 180Mbps with sockets on a different one. This is still plenty to get even the fastest broadban line in the UK (Virgin Media 150Mbps) connection all the way round you house and it's far more reliable that a wireless connection.

I've connected unmanaged switches off each of my power link adapters and have upto 8 devices connected to them and they've always handled whatever traffic has been chucked at them.

I do prefer the pass through devices as they don't take up one of your wall sockets then but they end up being far more expensive so I've gone with sacrificing the socket.

One issue I did have when I connected the new devices up to the existing network was the encryption key not matching up. For some reason If I tried to get the devices to set the key up again I couldn't get it to do it. In the end I ended up connecting to the existing network and running the powerline adapter utility on my pc and configuring both the existing devices to have a key that I defined. I then went to the new device, plugged my laptop straight into that and run the utility again and set it up on there to have the same key then when i refreshed the software it found all the devices. To be completely honest the easier solution with hind sight would probably have been to just reset the existing two and start again but I did it the far more complicated way but thats my own fault.

Having said all that I would still recommend the device as they are definitely better than wireless and definitely better than having to run cables all over the house.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for a while, then fail., 10 Aug. 2014
When this was first purchased, it was really simple to install and everything was great - I went from an Internet connection of about 1.5MB/s using a traditional wifi extender (going through thick stone walls) to about 5-5.5MB/s, which is only marginally less than at my ADSL router (no fibre broadband yet in the sticks). I was very happy, and would have given this a 5* review.

However, within about 6 weeks, the XAV5201 Powerline adapter completely failed - no lights at all when plugged in. Even though it was beyond normal 30 day return, Amazon were great and provided a replacement for the whole kit without any fuss.

The new one arrived, and worked impressively for 33 days before the power line connection failed. Initially, the XWN5001 access point still provided a wifi connection, but only to itself as it wasn't linking to the XAV5201 (so useless!). Then the thing went to sleep and would not wake (amber power light, nothing else). Factory resets did not help - it was effectively dead again. Tried in different plugs in the house, even in the adjacent socket to the adapter - nothing helped.

Amazon have refunded me this time, so I'll be researching my options.