Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 April 2012
This is a wonderful album of instrumental acoustic music with its roots in the English folk tradition, but which transcends those roots to become something much more. At different times joyous and elegiac, the sometimes elliptical and richly textured melodies and rhythms have both immediate appeal and reward careful listening with the discovery of new strands within the tunes. If Tangerine Dream were a folk group, they might sound like this (I realise that this analogy may only make sense to me!); but then again these tunes are no longer than they need be, some less than two minutes long. That's about my only grumble with the album but really that's me being greedy, wanting a little bit more. It can also work a different way, as the brief piece 'Arches' can also be viewed as an introduction to the brooding notes of the following tune, 'The Mezzotint'. It's not always so though; the musical box notes of the second track, 'Steeple' are a complete tune in themselves rather than a prelude to the third track, 'The City and the Stars', which is perhaps my favourite; its loops and rushes bringing to mind a balloon being blown by the wind or a leaf in a stream, sometimes caught by the current, sometimes lingering in the calm water.

The musicianship on the album is outstanding. The album notes say this 'was recorded live in the studio with no overdubs' and if on listening that sounds far-fetched, a quick search around youTube for clips of Spiro in concert shows it not to be. They are just damn good at what they do.

If I had to assign a category to this album I'd file it under progressive folk, but really it defies categorisation. It will appeal very strongly to fans of modern folk musicians such as Jim Moray, but should also appeal to fans of traditional folk music and the more melodic side of progressive rock too.

Purchased on a whim, this was my first exposure to this group. It won't be my last.
on 1 May 2012
If there is a genre of music that fills the gap between folk music and classical then maybe this is it, or maybe it cannot be classified. It's like nothing I've heard before. The acoustic instruments violin, mandolin, accordion and guitar are used, plus a little cello, so the sound is definitely folky, and traditional folk melodies feature too. However the music is more like classical orchestrations, with interlocking melodies creating an ever-shifting canvas of textures and colours. After 2 or 3 listens I found myself humming the melodies, they are so infectious. This is definitely a group I will investigate further.
on 23 April 2012
Love the music , allows space for own thoughts to develop. Both delivery & product are as promised. You are hearing from one well- satisfied customer here. Can say no more than that.
on 26 September 2013
Excellent....if You are rooted in the "folk-tradition", minimalism alá Glass et consortes and enjoy a café full of Penguins...This is absolutely something for You!....Absolutely without any doubt!
on 7 May 2012
I walked into a music store in cheltenham and this was playing as cd of the week, I heard a minutes worth and went and bought the album. I have nothing else like this in my music collection but love this, it gets better the more I listen to it. It's great to hear something completely different. Uplifting stuff!
on 12 February 2014
Spiro at their best: for those who love the wrap round moody music of Spiro; waited a long time to get this.