5.0 out of 5 stars My Year 4 Children LOVE it!
Published on 29 Dec. 2004 by Miss Nicholls

3.0 out of 5 stars good... sort off
I think that something more amazing could have happened, maybe a bit more detail but although these things a good book.
Published 13 months ago by VickyM

5.0 out of 5 stars My Year 4 Children LOVE it!, 29 Dec. 2004
Miss Nicholls (Hertfordshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
Once I'd discovered this book I could not put it down. I bought my own copy and took it into school. My Yr 4 children (8 year olds turning 9) were hooked from the very beginning. Bill's feelings (horror & embarrassment) are vividly depicted with such excellent language. We haven't yet finished the book and the children ask me at the end of every day to read them a few more pages. It truly is a gem, and perfect for Lower KS2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss out on this brilliant book!, 11 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
One unusual morning Bill Simpson turned into a girl, his Mum made him wear a pink frilly frock with fiddly shell buttons and a zip at the back. On his way to school Mean Malcom would not stop whistling at him and being mean. When he got to school he noticed he wasn't getting treated as he would usually, everthing seemed to be different. He had to play Rapunzel in a school play, he got into a fight with another boy and he was not allowed to read boy comics anymore. When Bill got home his Mum was really angry with him for ruining his dress and was told he would never go to school in a pink frilly frock ever again. Bill was so happy he was back to being a boy and his usual life.

Our favourite part of the book was when Bill had to race against his friends and was told to let Paul win but he couldn't do it. He just wanted to win!

We think this book is suitable for children and teenagers between ages 6 to 18 because it is fun, enjoyable and you will never want to put it down!

Year 3 (2) Episkopi Primary School

4.0 out of 5 stars Bill's New Frock, 26 April 2009
This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
Bill's New Frock is a really funny book that has lots of comedy in it. It can sometimes be silly but it is bound to make everyone laugh.

The story is about a boy called Bill Simpson who when he wakes up in the morning and looks in the mirror finds out that he is a girl. When his Mum comes in she says "how about a pretty pink frock for school?".

My favourite part of the book was when Bill had a fight. This chapter was about a fight between Bill and Rohan because wanted the Dandy comic but Bill had just started reading it.

My favourite character is Bill Simpson because he is funny.

I recommend this book: you should read it because it is hilarious and suitable for 5-10 year olds.

This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
Bill's New Frock is a comedy book about a boy named Bill who woke up one morning to find he was a girl!. Even worse, his mother sends him to school in a frilly pinkfrock with fiddly shell buttons!. Poor Bill has to suffer being a girl: how will he cope with that?

My favourite character is Bill and my favourite chapter is Charter 2: "The Wumpy Choo" (1p chew).

I would definitely recommend this to 5-10 year olds!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a girl's world!, 21 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
Anne Fine explores the gender issue of how the sexes are treated differently in the world today. It is written in a humorous manner which makes it accessible to every primary school child. We are taken on Bill's journey through a school day as a girl. From the shocking opening line to the fast paced dialogue this book ensures that we all have the desire to reach the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill's New Frock reviewed by Aaron aged 8, 26 April 2009
This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
Bill's New Frock is an exciting book about a boy wearing a frock to school and how his day changes.

The boy, Bill, wakes up one morning to find out he is a girl. His Mum makes him wear a pink frock to cshool and because of the frock his day goes awfully wrong.

My favourite character is Bill because he is very funny and when he got home he had rips in the side and pink paint on the dress, finger prints and smudges all over it, and grass stains (the sort that never come off) along with a shoe mark and a football mark. My favourite part was "The big fight".

I would recommend this to ages 4-11years because I think it is for younger people.

This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
Bill's New Frock is a comedy book by the brilliant author Anne Fine.

The book is about a boy named Bill, who wakes up and finds he is a girl! So his Mum makes him wear a pretty pink frock and when he goes to school people think he's a girl. So, when he gets to school he has the worst day of his life.

My favourite part was the chapter "Letting Paul Win", because it is all about a running race. My favourite character was Bill because he does most in the story.

I would recommend Bill's New Frock to people around eight years old.

This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
Bill's New Frock is an entertaining and silly book to read, and you should read it. Bill's Mum dressed Bill up in a new pink frilly forck and he had to go to school in it. At school some people treat Bill like a girl.

My favourite character is Bill because he looks likle a girl although he is a boy. My favourite part is where Bill was carrying a lot of things. I would read this book again and would recommend it to children from 7 to 11 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars thought-provoking for adults and kids, 3 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
A great read and a fantastic resource for teaching in primary schools. The story is a whirlwind from start to finish as Bill comes to terms with life wearing a frock. At no point is it explained why Bill had to wear the frock for the day which adds to the interest. The Kafkaesque start will appeal to all adults reading to their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really interesting take on inequality, 3 July 2012
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
Bill wakes up one morning feeling exactly the same as he did the night before. Unfortunately everything else around him has changed, including the fact that all his friends and family seem to now think he is a girl, and he is forced to go to school wearing a pink, frilly dress.

This is a short, clever novella about a boy's experiences of spending a day being treated like a girl, despite still thinking and feeling like a boy inside. Bill's outrage at what is happening to him highlights the way the different genders are treated, and could make for some interesting class discussions if this were studied in school. I like the fact it is even handed in pointing out the unfairness in the way we treat both boys and girls, and Bill's ability to see both sides of the unfairness at one and the same time is inspired, as well as funny.

The book is short enough to make a perfect book to study in school in a classroom setting, and the subject matter and the humour mean that it will appeal equally to boys and girls of about six years and upwards.

Bill's New Frock