Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.99

on 5 May 2001
Being a true convert to her wonderful recipes in "How to Eat" I eagerly purchased her new book to discover new exciting recipes. The recipes are nice, but this book falls into the trap of too many cookery books- pretty pictures and fonts but too little content. I will use this book and have already decided what to cook next, but this is a disappointment compared to past efforts.
on 23 May 2001
There seems to be a lot of criticism of this book because of it's length and because of the amount of photographs. I actually prefer it to "How to Eat" because I can flick through it with ease and decide on what to make from the delicious looking photographs. I probably wouldn't have attempted the "salt and pepper squid" if it had just been a typed recipe on the page but the photo looked so appetising I had to give it a try (they came out beautifully). I like Nigella's writing because she manages to make me feel confident in what I'm doing and also quite special in an odd sort of way. She has renewed my interest in cooking and my husband thinks I am turning into quite a little domestic goddess.
I absolutely loved this book and flick through it even when I'm not hungry. I am making the Welsh Rarebit muffins on Christmas Eve and taking them with me when we unwrap our pressies the next day. The sticky toffee pudding is idiot proof and the photographs mouthwatering. What I love most is that the book encourages pure greed and sensual enjoyment. The hint about washing pans with washing powder was particualrly useful. It also had my grandmother reminiscing. I am also making the chestnut refrigerator cake for Christmas. Worth every penny and nothing is difficult. If its going to be fiddly, she says so straight away. Thank you Nigella, for my best buy this year. I'm not being sycophantic, I am just a foodie who hates washing up and loves compliments.
on 17 May 2001
I have been cooking from How to Eat and Domestic Goddess for a year or so now. Nigellla Bites I have to say is a disappointment after those two. Good recipes, but thin. I was looking for something to get my teeth into. However, I have tried the "lunch dish", delicious and the "two potato bake", also delicious. But I wonder whether How to Eat hadn't said it all already... and Domestic Goddess had many wonderful biscuit recipes, all of which worked beautifully (the ones I tried anyway). This was too much television, and I say this as someone who lives in the USA and does not get to see the series or hear all of the hype. But I still love Nigella anyway though this feels like a book that was produced for the sake of being produced.
on 26 February 2004
I've had my copy for 2 months now and have tried several recipes, most to applause and gratitude of my family. Last night was the bread and butter pudding to which my husband declared "You can make that everyday if you want."
The greatest appeal for me is the introduction into Nigellas family. The traditions and recipes passed down for three generations and now onto her own children inspires me to let my children into the kitchen, a previous NO GO zone. To create these cozy memories for them to cherish as Nigella does. It makes me feel obligated to nourish thier souls as well as thier bodies and has freed me from a lot of cooking anxiety as they want to eat something they helped create.
I'm an American living in the UK and I love that Nigella has an appreciation for American cooking, even if she has titled that chapter "trashy". Her ham and cola recipe is going to be on the menu this weekend, as I've previously only ever done this with topside of beef, I'm looking forward to the outcome.
The book is full of wonderful pictures to show preparation and final product which some earlier books missed out on. There's a wonderful mix of quick meals for weekdays and linger to prepare for weekends, and I use linger as you should enjoy playing about in the kitchen and enjoy the cooking experience.
I am very tempted to get the DVD of the series to accompany this book. It is my current absolute favorite.
on 21 August 2001
Not really a fan of Nigella's (not prior to purchase anyway), I simply bought this as it was at number 1 and, as the lady herself expands on in this publication, was having an amazon day. However I'd have to conceed that this is one of the best cookery books I've ever seen. It has plenty of great recipes plus chatty sections introducing each chapter and cool photos in with the bargain. Probably more of a woman's book, I'd even go as far as to say 'Nigella Bites' is essential in the kitchen of every home.
on 6 May 2001
True to form, Nigella Lawson has created another book which both inspires you to cook and makes for equally good bedtime reading. Her warmth of spirit, indomitable character and humorous and touching nuggets of family history and anecdotal stories make this much more than just a cook book. Indeed, such are the glorious pictures of the food, and Nigella herself, and the luxurious look of the silver pages that it would be a shame to hide the book away in a bookcase- it would grace any coffee table but I imagine it will be needed more readily to hand as a regular in the kitchen. However, I would also have to say that I was more impressed by Nigella's previous two offerings (How to Eat and How to be a Domestic Goddess). They are both more comprehensive and more of Nigella herself seems to shine through. However, that is not a criticism against this book - it is not, and is not meant to be in the same vein. Rather, it is produced to complement the Tv series of the same name and this would also perhaps account for this book's more commercial appeal and what could be termed an "over-produced" finish. However, the recipes will not disappoint and if someone is reading Nigella for the first time I'm sure they would be most impressed - although I'd recommend getting her other two books as staples for your kitchen/bedside/study. I was tempted to try many dishes and there are not too many that are found in her other books so it's still worthwhile having this one. However, I don't know if the Trashy Meals will end up as part of my repertoire. They are certainly entertaining to read but I'm put off such items as deep fried bounty bars and the Elvis deep fried sandwich from a purely health point of view. Not that I'm some sort of diet-conscious food puritan - it's just that we can't all combine an insatiable love of food with the fabulous and slender looks of the enviable Lawson. In conclusion, her other books perhaps compare more favourably but this is still a very welcome addition to my cookery book pile and one that I'm sure will be much used.
on 16 October 2001
"How To Eat" was an awesome cookery and food book - but, having bought this out of a sense of loyalty to Nigella and her writing, I tried several of the recipes and have not been disappointed! The sausages and lentils is particularly good on an autumn night, and the ham in coca-cola with sweetcorn souffle was AMAZING! I will seriously never cook gamon any other way again. If you are a sceptic - like I was - then overcome your fear of that brown sticky liquid and go for it. The ham is sweet and tender, and the sweetcorn is fluffy and warming.
People have been very critical of this book - it is not like her first, was produced too quickly, is a TV cooks book, and so on - but I still love her and this is just a different, not better or worse, book.
on 22 July 2002
Being a single working female with zero cooking skills, this book is an absolute winner, the Chocolate Lime Cheesecake is a must for all pudding fans.
I have found other cookery books uninspiring, but with Nigella Bites I find myself ammending her recipies to suit my own tastes and finding they work just as well, the Notes sections are an excellent idea.
I have also found that its as though Nigella is there with you when you're cooking, its not all instructions, shes's having a conversation with you...
A must for all non cooks and cooks alike!
on 14 July 2001
The most enjoyable cookbook I've ever bought! It's easy to read and the receipes are easy to follow - the Linguine with Garlic Oil and Pancetta was simple but so tasty and just the kind of dinner to cook after a day at work, just as she promises.The Lemon Rissotto was a breath of fresh air and the portions are unfashionabley generous. It's enjoyable and inspiring to read as well as cook from, dinner parties are no longer daunting! Good book to relax with on the sofa with a glass of wine. I can't wait to buy her other books...