on 18 November 2015
I'm not a fan of Millwall but am a fan of football, I went through this book in no time. The author did get lucky with Millwall having a roller coaster season but even without that he writes so well that you really feel part of their team by the end of it. He really gets into the detail and gets under the skin of players, staff and fans.

Well done Michael Calvin, best football book I've read for a long time!! Also, I shall be keeping an eye out for Millwall, they sound like a very well run club (albeit back in League one again now)
on 12 December 2012
A very good insight into the players, management and everything surrounding a football club. Very interesting. One of the best I've read in years.
on 31 January 2011
Great read for Millwall fans. Unfortunately first book ordered did not arrive. However Amazon sent replacement which arrived before Xmas.
on 19 November 2012
Excellent read, especially if a Millwall fan. good to get behind the scenes and delve into what goes on in the dressing room.
on 23 December 2011
This book is a fantastic read and a true insight into Millwall without the usual negative bias againt the club and fans.
on 31 October 2013
I heard about this book and loved it. No one gets inside a club and gets this much access Michael Calvin has and has managed to write a great account of a year in the life of one of football s most controversial clubs. I am not a lions fan but found it fascinating as all fans of the greatest game will. His other book on football scouts is well worth seeking out it tells another side of football that's never told.
on 10 November 2015
Mike Calvin gets wrapped up in the tears and joy of a season embedded with my club Millwall FC.
This is a book that exhibits the writers ability to draw out the innermost, honest feelings of all involved in a topsy turvy, emotional rollercoaster of a season.
If your a fan of any sport at all, let alone football; this js a must rea!
on 9 May 2012
As the title suggests I am not a big football fan and the cult of celebrity and the resulting biographies make my blood run cold. I am continually turned off football by the beatification of the players and teams in the Premiership.

But this book is no hagiography. It is an account of a year in the life of Milwall FC, its trials and tribulations on and off the field. It describes the grit and grind of the back room, training field and matchday as seen through the eyes of a journalist who had access to all areas of the club. It starts as the team reconvenes after the summer break and facing the realities of a lost promotion chance at the end of the previous season and another year in the third tier of the English Football league and the sacrifices made by all within the club to gain that cherished top six finish and a chance of promotion. There is no ball by ball account of each match only the game and season changing moments are described in detail. Rather it follows players, staff and fans as they struggle with contract negotiations, fitness, hanging on to a place, finding the next contract, life after football, illness, grief, joy, thrills and spills...all human emotion is here. Hope and fear permeate this book in equal measure.

This book is a vivid description of its subject, very readable even without an in-depth knowledge of the game. I would recommend this to anyone with even the slightest interest in sport or the human condition.
on 24 December 2015
Almost all my life as a disciple of the football religion, I have disliked Millwall only slightly less than Don Revie's Leeds. Now I know that if I had been born into their geographical area then I would have loved them like no other! It was a splendid account of a year in a fascinating club. Very much enjoyed.
on 22 December 2015
May be its just me but I prefer a book about the fans and the games , the whole experience of being a Millwall fan. Other than the opening chapter the whole drama and passion of watching Millwall doesn't really come thru . That said others may enjoy it if they like a book more from the clubs perspective ,