5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves to be thought of alongside 'Only a Game' as a classic of the genre
When I first read Eamon Dunphey's insight into my beloved Millwall Football Club it was my first forray into football literature. I wrongly assumed this was how all football books were written and that set me up for some serious disappointment as I read other footballers autobiographies over the next few years! Not until Steve Claridge wrote 'Tales from the Boot Camps'...
Published on 6 Nov 2010 by Ant Meads

3.0 out of 5 stars EASY READING
Pretty much, your average tabloid fare. There are some decent insights, especially the bits dealing with players hoping for new contracts which highlight the fact that, away from the Van Persies, Rooneys, etc. of the world, the average Championship level pro and below suffers the same insecurities and fears that contractors in most professions face. Other than that, it's...
Published 16 months ago by Brussels Lion

5.0 out of 5 stars just the ticket, 18 Sep 2011
Bought this book to take on holiday , couldnt put it down from day one. Any Millwall fan will love this book as you can really relate to it in detail. I even came accross people I know mentioned in the book
Great read highly recommended. AAAAA+++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Hate Millwall? Read this and you will change your mind!, 23 Aug 2013
First of all I am not a Millwall fan - I'm a football fan who just happens to love Sheffield United. I bought this book on the strength of the Nowhere Men written by the same author which I loved. I went into this book not liking Millwall and accepting all the hype surrounding the club and more particularly their fans. I ended the book with a new found respect for the club and most of the fans (let's be honest all clubs - my own included - have their fair share of idiots who drag the clubs name into the mud whilst the vast silent majority suffer the barbs of the rest of the football world in dignified silence. The difference with Millwall is that they use this notoriety and the fact that "everyone hates us" as a badge if honour and a motivation and I have a grudging respect for that.
As with The Nowhere Men this book has been meticulously researched by the author. The club had given the author unfettered access to all aspects of the club during the season they were promoted to the championship via the playoffs. The insights to what goes on behind the scenes is fascinating, illuminating and brilliantly written. The book does look at the darker side of Millwall - it isn't just sunshine and roses - but what comes through is the decency of the club, a club that has probably done more than any club in British football to counter racism, homophobia and hooliganism, but that doesn't make front page headlines does it?
At the end I realised Millwall is what football clubs used to be - rooted in their local communities, run for their fans rather than the prawn sandwich brigade. It's a proper club with proper players and some proper people running it. I dont hate Millwall any more, in fact I quite like them now but I still wouldn't want to be an opposition winger at the New Den.
Michael Calvin is a great writer and I urge you to buy this book, especially if you don't like Millwall, read it and I guarantee you will change your mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for the old school football fan, 14 Feb 2013
A very well written book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A fly on the wall book about Millwall might perhaps make some people shy away from reading it. That would be a shame because this is the best book about a lower league club i have ever read. Gritty and honest in the extreme, an eye opener to be honest.

4.0 out of 5 stars V good, 12 Dec 2012
A very good insight into the players, management and everything surrounding a football club. Very interesting. One of the best I've read in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Nov 2012
Excellent read, especially if a Millwall fan. good to get behind the scenes and delve into what goes on in the dressing room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family; life death and football, 23 Dec 2011
This book is a fantastic read and a true insight into Millwall without the usual negative bias againt the club and fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supberb, 17 Feb 2011
I like a lot of people thought yep another one of those football books but no this was different straight from the heart and to the point this is a book for all real Millwall Fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars No-one likes us - we dont care!!, 31 Jan 2011
Great read for Millwall fans. Unfortunately first book ordered did not arrive. However Amazon sent replacement which arrived before Xmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sports Book of the Year, 12 Dec 2010
Lombie (Dartford, Kent, UK.) - See all my reviews
A superb,frank and passionate insight into the promotion season of Millwall FC in 2009/10.

Nigh-on impossible to put down once you start to read, loved every part of the book and cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary read, unique - every Lion must read it..., 4 Dec 2010
I've not read a book for over 10 years and I managed this cover to cover over a weekend - couldn't put it down.

All Millwall fans will vouch for what an incredible year last season was but to have someone follow every step and capture it via such a thoughtful, emotional and provocative piece of journalism is priceless. One to pass to the grand-kids...

It's staggering how Mike managed to capture the essence of our wonderful and unique football club and what it stands for so succinctly despite only engaging with it for a year. The players appear to have genuinely invited him into their world and this insider's access provides the platform for a great, truly authentic and insightful book. Mike presents Millwall in a balanced manner - something most journos are typically too lazy to consider.

An absolute must for every Millwall fan and footy fan alike.