on 27 January 2012
I just finished reading this book last night and such an emotional story. A 'true love story ' written so beautifully and movingly by Patricks devoted wife Lisa Niemi. I have always admired Patrick Swayze and this book brought many tears to my eyes and also made me smile alot too, Lisa showed just how much Patrick meant to her and and sharing such intimate detail of his extremly brave long battle with cancer, just shows how much Patrick fought the illness with such strength and dignity.Lisa is an amazing strong human being, just as her fantastic and irreplaceable 'Buddy' was to us. Thankyou Lisa for sharing Patrick with us over the years.
on 11 August 2012
In reading this book you know what the end is, unless you lived under a rock how could you not but what we dont know is the story in between. From the initial diagnosis to the final good bye this is a celebration of marriage, love, commitment, understanding, fighting and losing. It has its poinient moments and moments of joy, moments to make you laugh and cry. At the end of the book I was in tears because it was heartbreaking. How does a person learn to live without their other half? This woman is honest and brave, warm and caring and doesn't sugar coat anything. A truly touching and tough tale of coming through the best, the worst and the darkest days, looking for the way forwards and how to live again.
on 8 February 2012
this is a story about how patrick swayze wife coped with life after his death. I found it incredibly moveing and honest.
on 23 December 2012
I had been waiting to read this book since last year when I knew it was being released. Time went by and I finally got around to ordering it a couple of months ago. What can I say about this book?! It's simple, I laughed, I cried, I couldn't put it down at times but most of all I loved every word Lisa Niemi wrote. This book is testament to ALL of the wives, husbands, brothers, sisters, etc etc who have experienced looking after a loved one fighting cancer. And that is EXACTLY what Lisa and Patrick did to the bitter (sweet) end! It is an honest recollection of the journey she and Patrick took from the time of his diagnosis to his death 21 months later!
I would recommend this book to anyone who needs the inspiration and strength to care for a loved one fighting cancer.
on 21 March 2014
I read Patrick Swayze's "Time of My Life" as an autobiography as a fan and spotted this book advertised and bought it. His book ended at the first diagnosis of his pancreatic cancer, this book starts at just before it. It details the long and agonising struggle she had to cope with his illness, the thought of losing him, trying to keep his worst moment private from increasing "media interest" and the decision to take him home to die and immediate days after. It sounds morbid and horrible but it is full of hope, high moments and how Patrick himself dealt with it all (I even smiled at the lighthearted comment he made about 2 mths before he died, when he asked the doctor if there was a chance it would kill him?) I have dealt with a lot of issues in my own head with this book and seen one of my film heroes in a new light. A very strong willed, dignified, (often late) guy who took on a battle and lasted about 18mths longer than he was expected to. Beautifully written, very honest and an inspiring story. My average book reading scale is one book every 2-3 yrs (I have no attention span) I read this in 2 and half DAYS!!
on 30 January 2012
I bought this book after buying Patrick's book The time of my life as that was a fantastic read and so is this book. It really shows you how much Lisa loved her Buddy (Patrick) and that she would do anything for him and how she never gave up on him. The same goes for Patrick those two was ment to be together.It was a very heart warming book and i would recomend it any day. I really felt for Lisa and how she cope with Patrick's illness and then losing him. I just hope one day she can be happy again and remember all the good times that her and her Buddy (Patrick) had.
on 25 August 2012
An extremely moving book written by an amazingly brave lady. This book had me hooked showing the courage and strength of Patrick was during his fight for life. Fantastic book, would definately recommend this book.
on 8 May 2012
Lisa Niemi Swayze not only lost her husband but her sole mate I cried from start to finish and would recommend this to anyone who was a Patrick Swayze fan he story of courage and determination is outstanding it helped me with some things I have held on to when loosing a love one.
on 25 May 2013
If you read this book, you've probably read 'The Time of My Life". That's what I did. This book is different because it's about Lisa's story, written after Patrick had died, whereas Patrick's autobiography was written in the middle of his fight against death.

Lisa's account of how she went into battle with Patrick is at times difficult to read - it's not entertainment - it's someone sharing the reality of what it's like to give 100% support to someone who you love unconditionally as they die. And Patrick wanted to live. He fought against all the odds, kept winning and never gave up. Even in the face of this illness he and Lisa achieved things that were supposed to be impossible. I was in floods of tears at the end.

What I really liked about this book, was Lisa's honesty about Patrick's character. The positive/negative aspects balance each other and shine to illuminate the life of a truly unique person. The book is written with an open heart and left me feeling that I'd experienced a fraction of the pain, learned something about Lisa's great character and some insights into what it takes to build a true and loving relationship.
on 3 February 2012
Have just finished reading this book and it had me in tears. What a wonderful actor and a lovely wife who have both shared so much with the public. Wishing Lisa all the very best in the next chapter of her life.