5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore IMDB this time
Published on 14 Jun. 2011 by PJ Rankine

3.0 out of 5 stars Listen to your Mum!
Published 28 days ago by Catherine Roche

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore IMDB this time, 14 Jun. 2011
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Red Riding Hood [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
To read the review currently featured under this title on IMDB you would think this was a terrible film and indeed it only attracts a rating of 4.9/10. Well I gave it 9/10 because I thoroughly enjoyed it. It will never get an oscar but its a very enjoyable fantasy for young adults. I have read criticism about how the poor people of this time wouldn't have been able to afford glass for their windows, for goodness sake, its a fantasy! My wife who hardly notices these things commented on how wonderful the set was. Amanda Seyfried is as gorgeous as ever as Valerie/Red Riding Hood and the whole cast give a pretty good performance and no I didn't guess who the werewolf was before the reveal. All the clues point to an obvious suspect but the plot is darker and more twisted than that. I'm sure the whole thing is aimed at fans of Twilight but I'm not one of those and I loved it. I watched it on dvd and will be buying it on blu ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Red Riding Hood, all grown up and ready for the wolf..., 20 April 2011
Darth Maciek "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Red Riding Hood [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Catherine Hardwike's film is much closer to the 1984 movie "Company of wolves" (based on Angela Carter short stories) than to the original Charles Perrault tale - and like the former, it is definitely NOT for children. I am also almost certain that Catherine Hardwike was at least a little inspired by the wonderful commercial for Chanel 5, made in 1999 and featuring Estella Warren as Red Riding Hood and the wolf as himself.

Both me and my wife we liked this movie very much. Ok, granted, this is not an immortal masterpiece, but we both spend a nice cinema moment and this movie has many qualities, which I will try to describe below. MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD.

First, we liked the cast. Amanda Seyfried is excellent as Valerie, a young girl who reached the time to be married and gets from her grandmother a red cape as wedding gift. The name Red Riding Hood is never used in the movie, everybody calls her just Valerie - but we of course know better... Amanda Seyfried wears this red cape with a great grace and the effect (especially for the male public) is quite pleasant. It is even more pronounced when the snow falls.

Shiloh Fernandez and Max Irons give a good performance as two young village men, wild, bold and violent Peter and shy, peaceful and more sophisticated Henry, who both want to marry Valerie. Those two rivals and sworn enemies both have their good and bad points and with the time Valerie will have more and more trouble to choose between them.

Virginia Madsen plays Valerie's mother - her character, although secondary, is quite important for the plot so pay good attention to everything she says. Julie Christie is Valerie's grandmother, who lives in a house deep in the forest, away from the village - and she is (obviously) even more important to the story.

Michael Hogan (who is well remembered for his role in "Battlestar Galactica") plays village's reeve, a fearless no-nonsense man, who trusts his faithful silver dagger and is not afraid of the wolf.

Gary Oldman plays an inquisitor, Father Solomon, whose body and soul were once so terribly hurt by a werewolf, that he devoted his life to destroy those monsters. As usual for Gary Oldman's characters, Father Solomon is barking mad and definitely not a good person but he is clever and quite consequent and credible in his fanatism.

A special mention goes to Billy Burke, who plays the small role of Valerie's father, a burned out, heavily drinking wood cutter, used and worn out by the hardships of life and constant struggle with poverty.

And finally there are Shauna Kain, Carmen Lavigne and Kacey Rohl as Roxanne, Rose and Prudence, Valerie's best friends and young Cole Heppel, as Claude (Roxanne's brother), a retarded village boy. Those characters, although minor in the beginning of the movie, also have some important role to play.

The second very strong point of this movie is the scenography. The views of the mountains and the forest in this film are amazing. The village is extremely well designed, as are the costumes of the villagers and the soldiers who came with Father Solomon. This movie is visually very pleasant.

The third good point is the plot, which is not stupid at all. The main mystery is very skilfully kept until the end. And the ending itself is a very good one - especially for anybody who knows Angela Carter's short stories about wolves, werewolves and Red Riding Hood.

The fourth good point is the Wolf, who has absolutely nothing to do with the cute and cuddly werewolves from Twilight saga. That Wolf came to our world from the darkest layers of hell and is as evil as it is powerful and cunning. And it has absolutely no heart, no remorse and no soul.

But the best thing in this movie is the general atmosphere, which is frequently quite erotic, when in the same time there is absolutely no sex and no nudity. Somehow, the simple presence of a flock of nubile girls and young men who court them and the always present menace of a half human Beast which enjoys preying on young females is enough to generate the very special mood of this Red Riding Hood. Amanda Seyfried, her blond hair and her red cape contrasting with the virginal white snow certainly contribute a lot to this atmosphere. However this movie is much more subtle than "Company of wolves", in which at one moment Red Riding Hood gets all naked and joins the wolf pack...

There are some violent moments in this film, but here also it is much less brutal than "Company of wolves".

So all in all I can't really give less than five stars, because I really spend a good moment watching "Red Riding Hood" and I will certainly look forward for the next Catherine Hardwike movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting but Beautiful, 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Red Riding Hood [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I really didn't know what to expect but figured that if it had Gary Oldman in it, it won't be too far off track!

I thought it was awesome.

The first thing that struck me was the soundtrack and the cinematography. Right from the very start it manages to instill an almost uncomfortably sinister feeling, even though what you were seeing visually, is anything but. The film manages to capture the fairy tale element of the story we all heard as a child. Yet, you soon feel that all is not as it would seem.... Throughout the film, I thought yeah, this is predictable and just when I thought I thought I had worked it all out, it would add yet another twist to the story, and kept me guessing pretty much right up to the tragic but happy end.

Cleverly done, beautifully filmed, haunting soundtrack. May not be everyones cup of tea, but if you enjoyed films like Van Helsing or Dracula, this will be right up your street.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairytale witha twist, 7 Jun. 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Red Riding Hood [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
was quite excited to see this movie because with Catherine Hardwicke as the director, I expected it to be twilight-esque which is unusual for a fairytale. This movie is full of twists and turns and expect the unexpected because this movie had me gripping the edge of my seat in suspense the entire way through. The way that the traditional story of Little Red Riding Hood is incorporated into this movie is fantastic, I was a little doubtful at the start of this movie as to what relevance this movie had to the original story, but it made it all very clear later on. Not only has this movie combined a children's story with the supernatural, the big bad wolf has moved onto bigger and better things, he is now a werewolf, but there are also elements of romance in this movie. Amanda Seyfried is an incedible actress and she plays this role well. Some may find this movie a little disturbing and perhaps gory, but on the whole it is not too frightening. I was experiencing so many different emotions whilst watching this that one would think I was bipolar. Maybe I was paying enough attention, but for me, the ending was truly one of the most suprising things. The suspense is held the entire way through as we see things through the eyes of Valerie, aka Red Riding Hood, as she tries to figure out which person living in her village is the wolf.

This is Little Red Riding Hood with a twist. Don't miss out.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'WHAT BIG TEETH YOU HAVE' - 'All The Better To Eat You With', 8 Aug. 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
A small and remote village relive memories of the past when a young woman is attacked and killed, bringing fear upon them, a 'Wolf' lives among them.
'Valerie'( Amanda Seyfried ) a young woman seems to be able to understand the beast,which draws the attention of a 'Werewolf' hunter that has come to the village to rid it of the curse.
This medieval fantasy drama loosly follows the story of 'Red Rding Hood' and has all the main characters known to us from the tale, however this is much 'Darker' than the childhood story of old.
It's seriously worth a spin..................

3.0 out of 5 stars Listen to your Mum!, 29 Dec. 2014
I watched this movie first as part of my prime Amazon membership and second because I love fairy tales having read most of them as a child. There is a long tradition of fairy stories being used to make good film and good literature re-takes. Angela Carter for instance wrote a whole book using fairy tales to explore the human condition in a very sympathetic and highly literary way. The tales were beautifully written, graphic yet nuanced and with the moral of the story in tact. Don't think fairy stories are simple, they're not. In most peoples culture they form myths and bits of moral code told to children to illustrate a point that encourages them to behave in a certain way - we hope a good way. This movie entitled Red Riding Hood brought to mind the story I'd been told as a child and which involved a mother sending a young girl without a chaperone to take food to her grandmother. Her mother warns her not to go through the woods because something nasty lurks therein and not to talk to strangers. Red Riding Hood does both these things and gets eaten by the Big Bad Wolf. Lucky there's a wood man near by who slays the wolf and gets Red Riding Hood out of the wolf's belly!
I did wonder what changes the director or writer would make to this particular story to make it her own. And what she did wasn't much to my liking first because the lighting wasn't too good. The movie was too dark. I noticed quite a few director's do this nowadays - make the movie too dark so that the viewers have to strain to see what's going on. Perhaps it was supposed to be night time. But I don't think a mother would send her daughter out at night - especially if there's a big bad wolf about. Then immediately the girl goes out she announces that she always disobeys her mother anyway. Much more tension would be engendered if she vacillates and then we realise she fancies a young man - quite a hot looking young man with smouldering dark looks ( to use the jargon) in other words he's sexy!
I didn't like the hint of animal cruelty - e.g. the little pig tied up and squealing and later on when they trap a rabbit which the girl and her boyfriend don't succeed in killing.
I think this move was probably for the Young Adult market and not for grown ups at all. So I didn't enjoy it, It didn't have anything new to say and I left before the ending!

3.0 out of 5 stars pleasant and interesting adaptation, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Red Riding Hood [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
firstly, this movie is good for anyone that likes adventures and deep guessing about who the wolf might be. In some ways its set up as a murder mystery and practically every character is a potential suspect, however i found it to be a new and much more gothic version of what is known as a simple child's tale.
Amanda seyfried is perfect for the role of valerie (red riding hood) as she gives across not only an innocent look but i did find myself warming to her character.
My only problem with this film is it takes a bit long to really get started but once it does, this movie has the power to draw you into it.
I would definitely reccomend that you give this film a chance as i think it does have something that appeals to everyone.
WORTH A WATCH

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reworked tale, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Red Riding Hood [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Good price good delivery & entertainment value is 100%. This is a re-working of the traditional story so you have a feel for what is going to happen. It is nonetheless very entertaining well acted & enjoyable. I must watch it again as I find films like this need further viewings - to see things missed first time around or just to simply enjoy the fun elements. I do recommend this film.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Red Riding Hood" on BLU RAY - Compatibility Issues With The 'US' Disc..., 18 Mar. 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
'Alternate Cut' or not - fans of "Red Riding Hood" should note the following.

The American version on IFC Films is REGION A LOCKED – so it won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are).

Go for the UK variant - it's cheap and has a fantastic print...

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes it's rubbish, but strangely watchable, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Red Riding Hood [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
If you've looked up reviews for this film, you're likely expecting the worse. While I can't say those reviews are wrong, I'm surprised I stayed engaged for as long as I did. Admittedly, I was doing something else at the same time, so perhaps this is a great background film. It's ridiculous and you wonder how the actors keep straight faces, but worth watching on Lovefilm if you want something in the background.

Red Riding Hood [Blu-ray] [2011]
Red Riding Hood [Blu-ray] [2011] by Catherine Hardwicke (Blu-ray - 2011)