4.0 out of 5 stars Transformer Prime - inital use and comparison to Ipad 2
After the fiasco of getting this. Here is my initial impressions out of the box of the Asus Transformer Prime. I have an Ipad2 which I will compare it with in some instances. I use the Prime and Ipad as media streamers etc and for travel and not for serious work.

Published on 14 Jan 2012 by Mr Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you get a good one
I was initially very pleased with my TF201; it's top of the line for Android tablets and, for me, having a keyboard option was essential for my usage. Nice, solid build quality, slim and nice looking (not that I really care but some people might!).

Published on 22 Mar 2012 by N. Barron

4.0 out of 5 stars Transformer Prime - inital use and comparison to Ipad 2, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: Asus EeePad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1 inch Tablet with Keyboard/Dock - Grey (Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad Core 1.3GHz, RAM 1GB, Storage 32GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 3.2) (Personal Computers)

The Asus Transformer is beautifully made and feels very solid for such a thin device. I've shown it off to a few people and my Ipad2 and most prefer the build and looks of the Asus Transformer. The way it docks with the keyboard and looks like a mini note book is a stroke of genius by Asus. I'm wondering why nobody else thought of doing it and promoting the why Asus have.
The Grey model is much better then I anticipated the tint of purple is faint and not too over powering as seen in some photos and videos online. (I originally wanted the silver model but could not get stock at the time).

Out of the box you get basic instructions, guarantee card and power adapter. I wish they supplied the micro hdmi to connect to the T.V but at least there is none of this adapter add on like Apple.
First off the power adapter is kind of poor quality the way the two pieces clip together the Apple one is a much better build. I'm also wondering if it breaks or I need a spare, how am I going to get a replacement.

Once powered on and setting date, wireless etc. I went to setting and looked for updates. Scrolled down in the menu to 'about tablet'. I then pressed 'search for updates' and installed ICS (Ice cream sandwich firmware 4.03) making sure I had enough battery power which was around 20 to 40 percent out of the box. I downloaded and installed the firmware. This installed in less than 10 minutes approx. After installation another search of updates. You will be prompted to install a camera update which took less than 5 minutes.
So far I have had no real crashes with the transformer, although others have reported firmware problems via XDA forums.(update: Those with random reboot issues update to latest firmware there have been 3 released in February)

The tablet has rubber plugs in the tablet for all ports that are difficult to remove. So be careful you don't damage the tablet.

Out of the box you have standard applications and widgets. Yes there are more applications on the Apple store and yes the Android store has a problem as many applications are not optimised for the transformer tablet, but from use. I find that the Apple stores' quantity of applications means wading through a lot of applications that are just rubbish.

The way widgets and the wallpaper on the Android tablet can be customised is simply amazing. Live wallpapers are gorgeous. I have the paid version of the Koi live wallpaper. It makes it a pleasure just to watch the fish swim about and make ripples with your finger. There is no discernible slowdown on using the transformer prime that I can detect and live wallpapers run smoothly with no lag. If you like customising the options are truly astounding for example widgets can be re-sized, icons can be personalised to certain styles, multiple wallpapers can be displayed on each screen. I have an Ipad and find it dull and boring the way the applications are in uniformed rows and folders. I suppose if you like simple things with little to do the Ipad would seem a better choice. For the more technical minded the ability to root the Transformer will expand our options further and the release of a boot-locker tool. To give us the option to flash Custom Roms. Custom Roms will give us advantages such as beta builds of updated software not available or to gain improved features and the ability to remove software not wanted. However, this is for more advanced users and will VOID YOUR WARRANTY if done.(update:Boot-locker tool has been released as promised by Asus)

After playing about with different applications. I have found the applications below the most useful. (Available from Play Store (aka Android store)

1. MX PLAYER PRO (paid but there is a free one)- plays mkv 720p and 1080p files with no conversion needed. It also supports avi and MP4 plus it supports 'srt' soft subtitles in tests with no conversion. (I wish there was a player as good as this on Ipad) I prefer the Asus display then the Ipad2 for video as the tablet is more suited for wide screen resolution it also has super IPS mode for outdoors under bright light viewing. (update 160612: stick with 1.5version as 1.6 removes DTS audio)
2. Mantanto Reader (paid or free) - plays pdf and shows books in different views eg bookcase, list, thumbnails. I have my ebooks in epub format. but alternatively you can use Amazon kindle if you want to use mobi books bought from Amazon. (use a program called Calibre to convert if needed)
3. Aldiko (paid or free) - same as Mantanto (I prefer Mantanto for pdf magazines)
4. Perfect Viewer - To view comics. Has library and collection option - works with cbr files with no conversion.
5. Opera Mobile browser or Dolphin browser - alternative to stock browser -fast and responsive. (Apple still have the advantage in smooth browser operation in panning via pinch and zoom but not by a massive amount)
6. Drop Box - free 2GB cloud storage (Access documents or other media across multiple devices such as phones, tablets or computers)
7. Astro Manager or File Manager HD. For a more familiar windows or mac layout for your file folders. (I find the stock manager fairly good though)
8. Diceplayer - no full version with out ads at the moment. Alternative to MX player. (Stick with older version as new version removes dts audio)
9. PULSE - Have all your RSS feeds in a beautiful layout.
10. Ezpdf Reader - A more comprehensive use of pdf with more options then the above readers
11. Adobe Flash 11 - Found it a bit of a pain to install properly. On Opera the config options would not come up on browser. (I hope they improve it with an update.) I find flash as a positive for the Transformer Prime, but I find I use it less and less now. I hope they phase it out.
12. PlayerPro Music Player (paid version) I'm not to fond of the stock google player as it fails to recognise albums and art work in sub folders and also feels a tad slow. The Pro player has a simple but clean layout with all the bells and whistles I need. If you are not sure whether it fits your needs try out the free seven day trial.
13. Power Amp Player(paid version) which is my favorite of all the Android Music Players due to range of custom presets for equaliser and its layout.
14. Double Twist which allows you to sync with Itunes (For those who have Apple products already).

update: 01.10.12 If you updated your firmware to Jellybean 4.1.1 the following applications below are recommended for replacing MX PRO if you wish to play videos that use the DTS codecs and if you still use flash.

15. Flash 11.1 apx install it separately as Android Jellybean does not support flash anymore.
16. Vs Player or BsPlayer Pro(paid) for players that can run dts codec as the older versions of MX player will not run on Jellybean. Or use Diceplayer with custom plugin.(check android forums on how to)

For music. I'm using the stock Google music. but will change my recommendations when I find something better. (see above for alternatives !)
For office users there is an application called Polaris which seems good. but I have barely used it to give impressions of it. Seems compatible with excel and work docs.
Also included by Asus is Splash Desktop (located under Mycloud icon) which gives you access to your pc via your transformer this is a brilliant program allowing me easy access to important applications and docs when away from my main computer. It makes up for the fact there is no program as good for streaming video on Android as Air video is on ipad.

For gaming there are less choices then Ipad. I also found the same games on the Android store more expensive then the Apple store. However the Nvidia Tegra 3 chip does have a couple of games that show off the power of the Transformer Prime. One being Riptide and the other being Shadow Gun. (I have not really played this much)(been playing Air Attack HD), but have heard there are some problems with Shadowgun due to the ICS update.
Also the ability to use gamepads with these game makes it feel like a portable console. (I really suck at touch screen controls)
I have also tested it with N64 emulators mainly Mario kart and its a joy to use.

In terms of doing more and listening to what people want. Asus gave us the ability to upgrade and increase our memory space. I'm using a SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Memory Card with SD Adapter for Hd movies over 4gb (formatted to ntfs). This brings up my space to just under 90gb to play with. I also have the spare keyboard sd slot for up to another 128gb. If I want it.(A bit expensive though) Plus the keyboard dock gives the Asus Prime more battery life for those who take it on the road.
Also it has the added bonus of a usb 2 port. A major plus point for those who want to use an external mouse or add a usb hub for additional peripherals.
My Transformer recognises external hard drives I have tested with My Book Essential WDBAAF0020HBK - Hard drive - 2 TB - external - Hi-Speed USB recognised as USBdisk1. I have also tested with a usb powered drive theWD My Passport Essential SE 750 GB Black Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0) which works without the need of a power supply (remember to eject before removing usb cable). Videos and music play smoothly on both drives.
I've been waiting for usb connections from Apple from day one.(Does not look likely I'll ever get it)

My Ipad2(32gb) is stuffed to the brim. Just with music alone (There is cloud for music, but if there is an no internet connection you are stuffed). This lack of expansion is a serious let down for those who like to travel with high resolution media. Or those who film in high definition and want to copy it somewhere.

The keyboard on the Asus dock is solid. Keys are very low and don't have quite as good tactile feel as a full keyboard on a laptop, but typing is responsive and if your out and about its good enough to jot down notes etc.
I find the short cuts are well implemented on the keyboard for specific tablet operations such as home and back button.

The sound on the Transformer Prime tablet is okay. I find the sound is better on the Ipad2. Due to there being only one speaker and its location which tends to be muffled a little by your hand when picked up. However plugging in my Westone 4 headphones. The sound is full stereo with much improved clarity and base, but I did find the sound is lower than the maximum volume on my Ipad2.
I have not plugged through an Amp yet. but will update my review when I have.

The camera for both the back and front are better then the Ipad2. The back being much better. but I don't see myself shooting video with the tablet. So I see it as a minor advantage over Ipad2.

In terms of use Ipad2 is easier to use. My parents and kids can pick up and play without any prior knowledge. It shows how well iOS is implemented that it is so easy to pickup and use without any instructions. Even for technology-phobic people.
However, for more technical minded people. The Asus is a better bet, customisation and not being locked into Itunes is a joy. The fact I can connect my Transformer to my PC and transfer video and music, docs etc.. over usb and just copy and paste is like gaining freedom. No more adding one album and having to sync it to Itunes. Just to add to your library.

On the other hand, the Ipad has the advantage if you leave it on the table and someone picks it up. Its kind of difficult to mess up your setting. With the Asus Transformer I find myself having to lock down certain applications and setting so no one accidentally messes something up.

Please note GPS does not work with the Transformer well. It takes too long to position and seems to be slightly off with its positioning. (update 160412 :Asus have admitted the fault and have now said to be offering a external gps dongle that matches the case. You need to register your product at Asus in order to get it. Register before 31 August 2012 as this is the cut off date) Wireless has been fine so far. However, signal strength is at least 10-15% better on Ipad2 after testing. My test is based on increasing distance until signal is lost from my router. Tests done on Be-Internet (ADSL) and Virgin (cable optical) Routers that came as standard on installation.

Other minor issues I have noticed with Prime is that soft subtitles will not display over hdmi. So blue ray rips or HD rips without forced subs will fail to mirror on T.V. Sometimes crashes can occur with players if fiddling with settings while mirroring over hdmi. Keyboard can fail to work, but if you pull the tablet out and clip it in. It will respond again. This happened only once and Tablet had been left on standby for along time without use.

All in all. I'm happy with the Transformer Prime and give it the edge over my Ipad2. For the non-technology minded or if you have young kids an Ipad2 is a better investment. For all others get the Transformer its more versatile and value for money.

Update: 080312: With the release of the Ipad 3 or HD (Seems to be no name given) with improved processor and Camera. The choice is now much harder to decide which to go far. My analysis is if you consider a better resolution screen (The Ipad3 has a stunning 2048x1536) for editing, games and watching HD video is the most important go for the Ipad3. If you consider a more open operating system as a priority and the ability to expand memory, plug usb devices and other accessories go for the Transformer Prime or alternatively wait for the Prime 3 (Infinity) which will also have a HD screen. (This may take a while as Asus are slow to get their stock out)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device, 29 Jan 2012
Firstly, aesthetics. I have the 'grey' one, and for those who may be concerned about the purple tint, it's very subtle. It's effectively a dark grey with a touch of colour to make it more interesting, and it's very tastefully done. The all-metal exterior looks excellent and despite its small size the tablet and keyboard combination is weighty, giving it a very solid feel. Everyone I've shown it to has commented on the fact it looks good, so you're golden here.

Performance wise it's very snappy, as you'd expect. The ICS update won't start until you've got 15% charge in the tablet, but is very fast after that, taking about 5 minutes for me. I haven't noticed any discernible lag anywhere, and that's on the balanced setting not the performance one. Multi-tasking on ICS is perfect, with one button tap on any screen pulling up the active tasks list, and simply flicking the tasks you don't want off the screen to close them. I've thrown various HD games and videos etc. at it and it's performed without hesitation. Web browsing is good on the default browser though I updated to Dolphin HD as I prefer the interface.

Battery life estimations look to be roughly on par with the claimed values (8 hours from the tablet, maybe the same again when the dock charges it), though I haven't gone through enough charge cycles to fully confirm that. Charging the dock and tablet at the same time, from empty to full whilst using it heavily took around 5 hours, so charge times aren't unreasonable. As a note, the dock doesn't continuously top up the tablet. Presumably for the sake of lowering the number of charge cycles the tablet battery goes through, it waits till the tablet drops to around 75% then kicks in from the look of it.

I've had no wi-fi issues, it connects to all my networks fine. GPS is as you probably know a bit of a downer, but I've accepted that it's no good for that purpose. I bought it so I could work and, when appropriate, game on the move and it's excellent for that job. One of the best purchases I've made in a while, and highly recommended to anyone looking for a very functional tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus EeePad Transformer Prime TF201, 3 Feb 2012
Sarah (Brentwood, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought my Transformer Prime from a company called Misco, since Amazon had no stock except at twice the general price. I paid 499, plus next-day delivery charge because I needed to time delivery to arrive on my day off. Misco delivered on time and courteously. Excellent service from Misco.

I love the feel and look of this item. Sleek smooth and lightwieght. Box contains the tablet, the tablet dock, a charger and short manuals for tablet and dock separately, plus warranty card and a wrapped microfibre cleaning cloth.

The charger has an adaptor for UK plug socket, which needs to be clicked FIRMLY or it wont charge, make sure the two parts are firmly locked, as i didnt at first, and the tablet didnt charge, but it warned me that it wasnt charging, so all worked out well in the end. The dock and tablet did contain some charge so you can get started straight away, and I didn't have to wait to explore and update. Updates are prompted at first use, all seamless, easy and quick to complete.

The tablet is incredibly light but sturdy, not at all flimsy, the Dock is slightly heavier.

BE SURE TO REMOVE THE RUBBER BITS THAT ARE PROTECTING THE PORTS FOR THE DOCK AND TABLET BEFORE PUTTING THEM TOGETHER. Thanks to the reviews I knew I had to do this, God bless Amazon reviewers.

When the Tablet is docked, the Prime feels like a good quality Netbook. The two halves fit together very well, absolutely solid, you can pick the whole thing up by the screen without a qualm. The hinge is stiff and firm with no waggle, or feeling of looseness. They come apart by touching a sliding button on the Dock which releases the lock and slide apart quickly and easily. The mechanism is firm and solid, and although mine is new and perhaps this will slacken with use, it does not feel like it will.

There has been some discussion about screen protectors - in my opinion? dont bother... the screen is made of Gorilla Glass so it wont scratch and a wipe with the cleaning cloth removes fingerprints in a second. Why spend 8 on a bit of plastic that is impossible to fit straight and without dust particles beneath it. Enjoy the beauty of the machine.

I am not at all Techie, so I wont go into that side of things - other reviewers have done that better than I can. I chose this machine on the basis of Nvidea graphics (the best in my opinion), the fact it has quad cores like my desktop, the FANTASTIC battery life, the perfect combination of tablet and netbook provided by the combination of the Dock, and the almost universal thumbs-up by all the reviews, by lay people and by professionals across the board.

I just wish it was also a phone... if it did that, well it would be PERFECT!! (Though my son says you would look a bit stupid holding it up to your ear :)

For the price, this is an amazing machine... get one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a gamble, it paid off..., 2 Feb 2012
Mr. Christopher J. Furness "Riska" (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
I had read a lot about the issues some people are having with the tablet, specifically in regards to Wi-fi and GPS. I can confirm that my tablet matches any of my devices in Wi-fi strength from anywhere in my house. This included taking it into the out-house office, of which the signal has to go through one solid brick wall and two other walls in the house before it gets to my router.

GPS is sadly as reported, so if you can't accept that then this isn't the tablet for you, but honestly I hope you do because it's such a small compromise compared to what you get in return. Build quality is fantastic, it looks and feels like you could take a sledgehammer to it and the hammer would lose(though I wouldn't recommend trying that). The version I went for was the gold unit, mostly because that was the one Amazon had in stock when I ordered it, and I don't regret that decision at all. I'm sure the grey is nice, but I highly doubt that it matches the gold's aesthetics.

Upgrade to ICS Android 4.0 was seemless, and my one and only gripe with that update is that spotify is currently not compatible. Easily fixed in a short amount of time. And that's it for faults. Screen is flawless with no dead pixels or light bleed (though I have read reports that others got slight light bleed around the edges, so keep an eye out for that). I thought when I opened the box that I was going to have a problem with the length of the charging cable, but that was me stuck in laptop mode. This baby is off charge for the majority of the time rather than vice versa so that has never been an issue.

The docking station is easy to use and set up, though as has been said in another review, be sure to take the rubber feet out of the two sockets where the tablet clips to the dock. I'm glad I read about that before trying to ram the two together. Also, after the ICS update, be sure to go into your settings and select your language as English (UK) and the check the docking station is still the same, or your @ and will get swapped over on the keyboard to accomadate the american layout.

I'm so happy with my tablet. I'm happy that it's rediculously easy to use. I went round to my parents house and showed my technophobe mother who immediately and intuitively used it with little prior knowledge of touch screen and no prior experience with android. I'm sure the iPad does some things better, but honestly, I could care less. Can they plug a PS3 controller in and play GTA3 with it? Not as far as I know.

If you're thinking of buying, do it. It's a good chunk of money but it's totally worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A robot in disguise?, 1 Feb 2012
B. Bell "Gubs" (Ayr, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow. After reading tonnes of reviews and shortlisting this v iPad2 v Galaxy tab 10.1 I decided to take a punt on this because I've already done the iPod / iPhone thing and have a Samsung NC10 netbook (still doing the job well). For my first forays into owning a tablet and experiencing Android I'm already converted.

I wasn't expecting much from Asus in terms of looks (I used to have one of the original EEE PC netbooks and that looked like I'd built it myself) but this thing is very sleek. The metal back and gorilla glass face are beautiful to look at. Other reviewers have commented about how fiddly the rubber port covers are to remove and yes they're a pain but leave them off if you're confident of keeping the tablet clean and in a case when not in use (we're bound to lose them anyway after a fortnight). The keyboard dock seems terryfying to use the first time you slot in the tablet (I thought I'd scratch the screen) but again, it's stylish and well built. The power cord doesn't seem flimsy (it clips together depending upon your country's power outlet design) but it could do with being a little longer. And yes, I can't believe Asus have packed all this into something so light. If this is typical of tablets today then I can't see how they can possibly get any lighter without compromising durability.

In terms of use, I can't compare it to other Android devices (or tablets for that matter being a tablet virgin) but it's very fast and responsive. The resolution is fantastic (little to distinguish it between the iphone retina display in all honesty from a layman's POV), the touchscreen responds immediately and it seems well thought out in terms of layout and functionality. I haven't pushed those four cores to their limit yet as nothing I ask the tablet to do seems to worry it. Graphics are beautiful, multi-tasking is effortless, firmware upgrades were trouble-free and dumping music, movies, files onto it seemed to take more effort from me than the device. Maybe it's laughing at my puny human attempts to make it sweat. Just wait...

Yeah the Apple app store has millions more apps to choose from but a lot (the majority?) of them are poor or copies of something else - perhaps Android app store is a case of quality rather than quantity? All the usual suspects are there to download (social networking, ebook readers, business, communication, games galore, etc) so you're not missing out if you commit to Android over iOS (IMO). What I do like is the layout of the Android app store with an easier interface to navigate than Apple. I have experienced a couple of apps not configured for the prime but if you're familiar with this from a smartphone - tablet perspective (iphone sized apps on an iPad display?) this is a problem for the developer rather than the tablet manufacturer.

I wanted something that was futureproof (new devices are being released seemingly daily now), easy to use and just a little different from the others out there. For 500, I've got possibly the best tablet in the UK to date which has its own keyboard (watch people's faces when you show them this isn't a netbook) and is expandable (the USB & Micro SD slots are brilliant additions). I don't regret the purchase at all (great value when you consider what you get) and only hope it's not surpassed by something better and cheaper next week!

This should be a long term friend - I may have to change my name to Sam Witwicky in its honour...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you get a good one, 22 Mar 2012
N. Barron "Nik" (UK) - See all my reviews

However after just over a month of use I noticed a couple of small black marks on the screen, roughly centred horizontally and about 1/3 down vertically. At first I thought they were dead pixels but on closer examination (under a 20X magnifier) it was clear that they were small black dirt/dust, irregular in shape, presumably trapped between the touch panel and the screen. Although they were small due to the placement right in the middle of the field of view they were extremely annoying.

I contacted Amazon who were very good, offering a full refund even though the tablet was out of the 30-day return window (no stock was available to send a replacement). Fortunately (I thought) the TF201 came back in stock so Amazon arranged to ship a replacement, which duly arrived.

Unfortunately the replacement unit had almost exactly the same problem, this time a single defect but once again right in the middle of the screen. I contacted Amazon again, who offered a full refund as they didn't want to risk sending out a third unit.

So I've now gone back to the TF101; I'm very disappointed with Asus as the TF201 is a lovely product and I know plenty of people have had no issues, but to get two defective products six weeks apart indicates there's a manufacturing issue of some sort. My biggest concern was that if there were defects in a month-old product, what would it be like after a year?

So top marks to Amazon for customer service, and a black mark to Asus for quality control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tablet - No GPS or WiFi problems, 23 Feb 2012
A. L. Price "AP Bedford" (England) - See all my reviews
I was unsure if to purchase the Transformer prime as I had read some poor review regarding the GPS and WiFi not being up to the job. I am glad that I stuck to my guns as there does not appear to be a problem for me with either. When I got the tablet I checked for updates and it found the new Android v4 update which I let install. using apps such as places, google maps etc have no problem locating my exact location from within the house. Additionally I live in a 3 story house and the wifi is reachable in all part of the house and can see 4 of my neighbours wifi networks.

For comparison, my partner has an ipad 2, it does things nicely, there are few apps that I wish I could get in the same format, but the advantages of Android far exceed anything Apple has to offer. You are not locked down into Apple world, you can read documents to and from SD card, network drive, local attached USB drive, try doing that with an ipad or without having to sync with iTunes !

Speed is amazingly fast and there are some really good pre-installed office apps already out of the box. Great work Asus a great machine .

If you are reading this then you are probably already thinking like I was of ditching Apple, my advice is do it, you wont be disappointed. Cant wait to get rid of the iphone next .

4.0 out of 5 stars A different review for your peace of mind...., 14 April 2012
D. Bowden - See all my reviews
If you want information about what the Asus Prime can do for you then please read another review or a third party review. What I hope to do is answer the concerns that some may have as to buying this product in light of the reports of certain issues (such as WiFi and GPS etc) that may actually prevent readers from purchasing:
I have just bought the Prime from Amazon and spent a few days evaluating those reports but one notable piece of info is that my product starts with the serial number 'C3'. This, as some may be aware, is the reported batch of Primes (and onwards) where the issues previously raised have been addressed 'in factory'. I have made the following positive conclusions:

WiFi: The wifi range was PREVIOUSLY reported as being inadequate in that the range was poor resulting in a week signal pickup. I am pleased to confirm that I definitely have no WiFi issues at all and after significant testing, using the same WiFi analysis tools on other android and portable devices, the PRIME that I have (C3 serial number batch) has no WiFi issues at all. In fact, It has the strongest WiFi signal of any other device other than my DELL XPS Laptop. This is quite an improvement over those previous versions and it seems that the WiFi issue has been addressed accordingly 'back at the factory' with these newer models. I have noticed that the WiFi does use a little more power consumption than my other devices but not a great deal more and certainly to no detriment to advertised battery life.

ICS: Ice Cream Sandwich came pre-installed out of the box with no need for an update upon powering the device for the first time other than a firmware update, which addressed several minor concerns / glitches with some apps and I can confirm that I have had no Forced Closures so far.

Dead Pixels: A few users had reported a higher than average 'dead pixel count' but I can confirm that my testing has shown evidence to back up the reports that this has been addressed at the factory by way of improved QA.

Light Bleed: Some reports of light bleed on previous models (Where a faint white light can be seen at the border of the screen when a back picture is displayed. I have tested and have no such issues. Again, as mentioned above, the improved QA was to address this.

GPS: My GPS is poor. This is the one issue that has not been possible to rectify by Asus it seems as it is completely hardware based. However, I do still get a signal outside but I am not a big GPS user and often just keep it switched off to add more battery life anyway. I am aware that Asus are sending a small GPS dongle that snugly fits in the bottom of the machine as a fix to all users... great news.

In conclusion, I am delighted with this device. It seems that the only models on sale in the UK, certainly from Amazon, are the C3 versions which have, from my research and personal findings, addressed all the issues, although I should imagine that as with all electronic products, a small percentage of faulty items will still get though to market. Please rest assured that I have never been happier with a product. It looks great, responds extremely well, and I continually amazed from day to day at how many tasks this has taken away from my PC, Mac and laptops. I bought from Amazon particularly because I know it is so easy to return items and at the time of the purchase, I was not 100%. If you need GPS then please be aware that Asus will be providing the small dongles to buyers from the 16th April..... as for me, I am loving this and pleased that I did so much research before buying... I hope that this saves you carrying out the same!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb tablet, 1 Feb 2012
G. Lever "Zephron" (Gtr Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Having chosen the "silver" model and deciding not to jump ship to the grey version I have had to grit my teeth and wait for delivery. It arrived on the 30th Jan. and having used it for a couple of days these are my impressions.
The colour is not as Amazon describe it i.e silver, but as Asus' description, Champagne Gold and very handsome it is too. The tablet is solidly built and is not only good to look at but well thought out. The keyboard dock fits easily, securely and snugly together. OK the keyboard is more compact than a laptop due to the size of the tablet but I have found it comfortable to use.
It ships with Gingerbread OS but after the initial charge it was just a case of going into settings, selecting firmware update and it downloaded ICS and was running the latest OS in about 10 minutes with no problems. I have had no trouble with Wi-Fi connection and it even picked up my neighbours hubs a few doors away!
The display is clear, with excellent colour saturation and with Ice Cream Sandwich the touch screen is fast, fluid and extremely responsive. Graphics especially on games,(and this is where the quad core shows it's power, with the lighting and shadow, water effects etc in real time), are superb . I have not found any bad pixels either on full white screen or full black. Battery life is excellent. As you can imagine on the first day it took some hammer but after five hours continuous use the battery level was still 56%, connected it to the keyboard dock which immediately started to charge the tablet. In fact after I finally forced myself to put it down and go to bed I found in the morning that the keyboard had continued to charge the tab to full capacity overnight. If Apple had thought of this they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

You get 8G of free cloud storage from Asus, Polaris Office( Word Processor, Spreadsheet etc) which is compatible with Microsoft Office docs, Asus Vibe for downloading and listening to music, video, and also books. It also comes with a good book app. I downloaded some classics from Project Gutenberg in ePub format and these can be read in landscape format but double page with a lovely page turning graphic.Web browsing is great and as this is not an Apple product it plays Flash videos.
The ability to increase memory by a MicroSD card on the tablet and SD card on the dock as well as a USB connection is fantastic.
I chose this tablet after looking at a lot of options and I am not disappointed. This is in my opinion the best tablet on the market at the moment. Reading a lot of threads on Amazon I know some of you don't know whether to wait for the new model in June, but 6 months is long time in computing these days. You could buy that in June and they announce a new model for December with a Tegra 4 chip !
If like me you don't like being tied in to the Apple ethos (i.e Apple control everything) then Android is the way to go. Even Apple are copying things from the Android OS these days. As Android sales continue to increase the future can only get better.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracking bit of kit..., 19 Feb 2012
Christopher (Ashington, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I tried to by my Transformer Prime through Amazon, but could never find it in stock except for some chancers trying to resell a 500 computer for a thousand pounds. It's a free country so I assume people are allowed to do it, but I found this very frustrating as I really like buying stuff from Amazon and have never had trouble. Oh well!

In the end I bought it from PC World (aaarrrgggghhh).

That aside, the Transformer Prime is absolutely awesome.

Screen, brilliant, really clear, crisp & a great resolution and colour range.

Software - either I had ICS preloaded or it updated itself without me noticing, because I've got it now.

I have downloaded chrome beta for it which is way better than the stock browser.

I can control my laptop from it with an equivalent of Log Me In and it would appear that it comes with 8gb of online storage (free for the first year at least).

I have only been messing about with it for a few hours, but it seems smooth, fast and it looks fantastic.

I have an iPad at work and I personally prefer the Android experience, this is definitely a brilliant piece of hardware.

ARRAY(0x9dd66300)