Before I read this novella, I had not come across Christopher Kellen's work before. However, now that I have read it, I am extremely glad that I have done so. It is an extremely accomplished work of dark fantasy with a very nice line of dark, sharp-edged humour.
Published on 24 Aug. 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite nice
Nice to read if you want to check a promising new writer.
I liked it, with reservations to style and story, not serious ones though.
It is short, read it if you have time.
Published on 15 Mar. 2013 by Kromm

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written dark fantasy set in a brilliantly realised world, 24 Aug. 2012
Amazon Customer (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorcerer's Code (The Elements of Sorcery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The basic story is a relatively simple one - a hedge magician gets caught up in the consequences of murder. However, the victim, the person who comes investigating the murder and the murderer all add together to make it so much more.
The story is told from the point of view of Edar Moncrief. Initially, he appears to be a relatively lowly magician and part-time conman, peddling `love potions and wart removers'. However, as the story continues it becomes apparent that he is much more than this. The slow reveal of Edar's abilities and the wily intelligence he uses in utilising - and at the same time hiding - makes him a rare character in fantasy, one that has multiple dimensions and comes across as realistic. Most of the humour in this story comes from the thoughts and asides that Edar makes and his reactions to the events of the story.
The other characters, while less vividly drawn than Edar (understandable as they are seen from Edar's point of view) are all well-written and believable, from the fear-inspiring Arbiter, D'Arden Tal (the protagonist of the short story `The Sorceror's Code' and Kellen's `Arbiter Codex' trilogy - of which volume 1, `Elegy' is currently available) to the self-serving and somewhat slimy fence Jahain Torthanas.
The setting in which Sorceror's Code takes place is brilliantly evoked. You get an excellent sense of the world and, without any hint of info-dumping, learn things about how it all works. There is obviously a complex and well-thought history of the world which is mentioned here and there without needing any further explanation. The city in which the story takes place seems to be in a seriously disputed area which is constantly changing hands and consequently `the name changes twice a year'. As a result, the city seems to have sunk into squalor and become a sinkhole of crime and corruption where even the City Guard are just another gang.
Overall, The Sorceror's Code is an excellent, well-written and extremely enjoyable story. It works well both as a stand-alone story and as an introduction/extension to Kellen's Eisengoth series.

Stephen Mellor - Author of The Long Sleep

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite nice, 15 Mar. 2013
Nice to read if you want to check a promising new writer.
I liked it, with reservations to style and story, not serious ones though.
It is short, read it if you have time.

5.0 out of 5 stars No spoilers, 16 Jan. 2013
I'm not going to summarise the script. I'm simply going to say that I have just finished this story. I found it extremely well written - engrossing (if shorter than I'd have liked, but I guess I found it that way _because_ I liked it so much...), engaging and containing both fun and full characters. I look forward to purchasing and reading more by this talented author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out Fantasy world, 10 Sept. 2012
This is a short story, just 33 pages in PDF, but I get the feeling that it is meant as the setting for more adventures to come. I look forward to reading them.

The story is written in First Person through the eyes of the sorcerer Edar Moncrief. His human fallibilities are apparent from the start, but I found myself warming up to him as a believable and clever character who has sense if not always discretion.

I don't want to give away the plot so I'll just say that faced with a no-win circumstance beyond his control, he shows a resourcefulness based in intelligence and perhaps a smattering of luck. The magic in the story is carefully thought out and artfully portrayed with parameters that will make perfect sense to the Fantasy reader and sufficient limitations to prevent any 'convenient' solutions to problems that wit and good reflexes are more suited to solving.

The characterisation is strong and the setting expressed clearly. The city puts me in mind of the Thieves' World series which is known for having gritty characters and dangerous rules for survival. I'd like to give this one 4 1/3 stars if it were possible, not quite 5 as it was just a little too easy to read at first but certainly a strong 4 as it drew me in and made me want to read more. I shall definitely read more of Christopher Kellen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 31 Jan. 2015
Fantastic, couldn't put this book down

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Oct. 2014