5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time special things in civilization...
This is of the things that defines the emotional and artistic scope of human beings...

If you're lucky enough to have not yet discovered Chet Baker, enjoy. The documentary film "Let's Get Lost" is a nice place to start, too.
Published on 29 Aug 2007 by John-Paul May

1.0 out of 5 stars A different Chet to his early years
I own about a dozen Chet cds and this one is my least favourite. I just can't get past how different his voice is to his earlier stuff. Normally when I listen to Chet I relax and enjoy the sweetness and purity of his voice which is fantastic.

Published on 25 Nov 2007 by Daftbear

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time special things in civilization..., 29 Aug 2007
John-Paul May (Europe) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars shivers just to think about it, 22 Jan 2008
G. Abeille "soundgeo" (London uk) - See all my reviews
This album is a must in any real music lover collection
the emotion it reveals is one of the most sensitive I've ever heard
I even think that it's as cool as miles and coltrane kind of blue

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the silver lining when a cloud appears from the blue, 17 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This album has a beauty which surpasses any other music which I have ever heard. This is my favourite album of all time (2nd: OK Computer, 3rd: Definitely Maybe). It is difficult to explain the effect which it has on my wife when she feels blue. If only I could sing a song of love, but not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect moment in recording history, 10 Jun 2012
I'm not particularly keen on some of Chet Bakers output, but this is sublime music. It transcends genre.
He takes a bunch of well worn standards and makes them fresh and meaningful. Always understated, every note is there by necessity - expressive, timeless. You really feel all the life experience of this guy flowing from his damaged soul - amazing.
After a hard tiring stressful day, pour yourself a drink and put this on - you really will get lost with Chet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Get Lost, 11 Mar 2009
Marguerite de Woeps (Great Yarmouth, UK.) - See all my reviews
Chet Baker Sings and Plays from the Film "Let's Get Lost"

Voice and trumpet sound still the same, but with an added sadness.

1.0 out of 5 stars A different Chet to his early years, 25 Nov 2007
Daftbear (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews

But Chet broke his nose in the 60s and also became a drug addict and perhaps this is why he sounds like he has recorded this album drunk. His words are slurred and yes he's singing jazz and I know Billie Holiday always sounded like she'd been on the gin but Chet's usual stuff has the clarity of someone like Ella Fitzgerald.

Of course artist mature and often their voices change but Chet's voice didn't change in a good way. In fact I can't listen to this cd, it's like nails down a blackboard to me, but that is because I love all off his other stuff so much.

Buyer beware this is a real Marmite cd, you'll either love it of hate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread, butter and champagne, 28 Mar 2005
Sebastian Palmer "sebuteo" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
'Bread, butter and champagne' appears as a slogan or sub-title to this album, at top left of the front cover, a far more poetic and evocative phrase than the listed title. I now have about 20-25 Chet Baker albums, from the youthful brilliance of his best Pacific recordings to the toothless junkie comeback that is Albert's House, and very wide-ranging and varied they are too.

Although I love some of his instrumental only jazz work, and there's far more of that than there is of his vocals, because I came to him via Weber's film I've always had a soft spot for his vocal work, which Weber very definitely favours (perhaps somewhat misleadingly, from a musicology point of view). There's something doubly poignant about these recordings, as they are so very different from those of his youth. And yet there is also a continuity.

The choice of songs is perfect, bluer than blue, and Baker's delivery, always laconic, is almost supine, it's so laid back. Elvis Costello's Almost Blue sits beautifully midst the older standards, which does Costello great credit. At around the same time as I saw this, I also saw Down By Law, another moody black and white movie. In the latter Roberto Bernigni says 'it's a sad and beautiful world'. That mood perfectly captures the spirit of Weber's film and this album.