5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome entry from John Williams
Published on 21 Dec 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Novelty, but that soon wears off.
Published on 25 Dec 2002 by Observer

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome entry from John Williams, 21 Dec 2000
By A Customer
As an avid Star Wars fan I was most eager to see the new Star Wars movie and even more excited to listen to the soundtrack. When it was first released however I have to say I was slightly disappointed with the content and arrangement of the score and felt it one of John Williams weaker scores. However, my opinion has now been pleasantly changed with the release of this superb Ultimate edition. not only does it contain every track from the movie but they are arranged individually so that you can skip directly to a particular song you like. With the added material the score really shines and although I don' rank it as my favourite score by Mr. Williams it is definitely in his top 5. I haven't stopped listening since I bought it a week ago !! As for the musical content it is very pacy interspersed with some of the loveliest melodies I have ever heard on a soundtrack album. Track 26 on CD 1 and Track 1 on CD rank among the best but the little sub-tunes which were used for backing are also most welcome. If I have one criticism it is a lack of liner notes but that is of small concern when you consider the sheer bulk of fine music here. I would recommend it to a fan of John Williams and to any collector of fine classical music. First rate

5.0 out of 5 stars What I've been waiting for!, 3 Dec 2000
By A Customer
If you were frustrated at the number of missing cues on the soundtrack CD last year, then this is the disc for you! This is essentially an isolated score on CD, so every cue you heard on the film is included here. Highlights include track 5 - Fighting the Destroyer Droids, track 27 - the Pod Racer Roars to Life and on disc 2, track 1 - Anakin is Free and track 28 - The Tide Turns.
In addition, you also get some source music from the Tatooine scenes and a cheesy version of Duel of the Fates with dialogue, which is basically an audio trailer for the film. These extras are of curiosity value only to me.
Downsides? For a start there are no altenate cues like there were on the excellent RCA 2 Disc releases of the other films. Nor do we get detailed descriptions of the tracks. Packaging is quite lavish but also a little amateurish compared to the RCA discs. Since this is the score exactly how it was on the film, some of the transitions between cues are not as seamless as on the 1 disc release. This is especially noticable during the final battle, where the music jumps about all over the place. Also lacking are the concert arrangemnents of Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme.
In conclusion, if you want the full experience of the score of TPM, This disc is a must. But last years release also remains essential, since it contains the concert arrangements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the original release, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - The Ultimate Edition (MP3 Download)
I did like the original Phantom Menace soundtrack but was somewhat dissapointed that it didn't bear that much resemblance to the versions heard in the film and that crucial scores were missing.

This is a fantastic release and well worth the money: you can literally picture the film. Definitely recommended for a more complete score to Episode I.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Soundtrack to a Not So Great Movie, 20 April 2013
Ok, so I'm a big Star Wars fan and I fall in to the group of fans that though The Phantom Menace was a poor movie and did the Star Wars movies a disservice. That said, I bought this soundtrack because I loved the music from the original movies and John Williams always does a good job. The soundtrack is much better than the movies and when I listen to this soundtrack I can use my imagination to remake the Phantom Menace in my head as a movie worthy of the Star Wars franchise.

4.0 out of 5 stars good music, 27 Feb 2012
It's a very good album but for me less than the original trilogy soundtracks. So I prefer the episode II and III albums too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 19 May 2008
Outstanding, regardless of what you think about the movie. There is no way to take in all the nuances in all the cues from just watching the movie, and in comparison to a package like this, the original sountrack release sounds horribly butchered. There is not a single emotion that Williams failes to capture or convey, all in the span of a single film (which is not to mention the range exemplified in his entire works). It is perhaps telling that listening to a complete soundtrack like this is infinitely preferable to actually watching the film, but then none of those Lucas/Spielberg films would work without the richness added to the characters or contexts by the music. Why there is not an edition like this for every major Lucas or Spielberg release is baffling and eminently frustrating, as it's not a stretch to imagine that some of this music is timeless and will be appreciated many generations hence. Williams is, in short, one of the greatest composers of all time; I prefer to think of the movies as vehicles for his music rather than the other way round. Would that a full release of the other two prequels were forthcoming, and treasure of all impossible treasures to acquire, a complete edition of all the Indiana Jones movies (ala the 6CD SW boxset some years back). As always, hats off to the great John Williams.

3.0 out of 5 stars Novelty, but that soon wears off., 25 Dec 2002
As a fan of Williams music, I rushed to get this double CD after owning the first release of the soundtrack for some time. You get hooked on the idea that "everything" is included on this one. It is. But the more i play this, the more i now prefer Williams arrangements on the original and find myself playing that one more often. People often criticize Williams and other composers like Goldsmith for doing such arrangements and ommiting huge chunks of their scores (sometimes this is a good criticism and some of his scores need much more material on them. "Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom" score is an example of a much needed expansion), but more and more i appreciate why they do this "selection" with some scored. Its makes for a much more balanced,varied, and enjoyable listening experience. When you play these 2 discs, they just go on and on and are devoid of any of that balanced character. They must of been the easiest Cd's to make because someone has just pressed play and record on another machine. It's as simple as that (albeit a bit more technical than the way i've put it). Yes we get the whole score (as in the film) but one of my BIG gripes about this CD is that no attention has been payed to splitting tracks properly. A cue will begin at the end of one track and continue on another which makes things very annoying indeed if you are programming on your player. Its badly produced and slapped together (more attention has been payed to overly colourful and expensive photographs and other useless features which dont serve much purpose once you've seen them) and i reccomend you stick to the original release. Its wonderful to get all of William's music. But this CD should of been produced and layed out in a much better manner than this slapped together commerical move.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the soundtrack you have been looking for!, 27 Dec 2001
I bought the original Phantom Menace soundtrack as soon as I had seen the movie because although the movie didn't qute live up to my expectations, John Williams' score most certainly did. When I saw that this version was being released not too long after I thought it was just a shameless marketing ploy to grab a few more pounds from my rapidly emptying pockets. However, this soundtrack version is a lot better than the original. It's got all the themes and cues exactly as you hear them in the movie, as well as a few extra tracks, such as the version of the Duel of the Fates score from the music video. All in all it's a great addition to John Williams' already outstanding body of work and even if you already own the orginal soundtrack its well worth getting this one too. Go on, you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate John Williams Experience, 25 Mar 2009
Calvin Scholtz (Cape Town, South Africa) - See all my reviews
I think the question that everyone's asking here is: "which do I buy? The traditional soundtrack release, or this very tempting `Ultimate Edition'?" I had already bought the original before discovering that there was a double-disc release, too, so I am in the position of having both and being able to examine the differences between them.

The original 1-disc version is amazing: by now, every fan of Williams' "Star Wars" music should know about the choral masterpiece `Duel of the Fates', and the subtle but emotional `Anakin's Theme'. What they don't know about is `The Arrival on Coruscant', `The Droid Battle', `The Chosen One' and `The Queen's Protectors'.

But, to fully appreciate the world that John Williams has created, I think it's essential to hear the score in its entirety. That's why I bought this set even though I had the earlier version already: it's so rare these days to be able to hear the complete score to a film, and in some cases you don't want to, but Williams is just such a genius.

He takes one through such a variety of sounds, emotions and experiences: from the tense failed negotiations on the Federation ship to the brief but brutal battle with the destroyer droids. From Jar Jar's clumsy, plodding theme and the ethereal otherworld of the Gungans' underwater city, to the militaristic, march-like invasion of Naboo.

I'll admit, some of the local music on Tatooine is a bit repetitive and superfluous at times, but I suppose it's meant to be primitive: `Cantina Band' and `Jedi Rocks' is, after all, the peak of that society's musical development! Sprinklings of `Anakin's Theme' are introduced as Anakin appears and starts planning to enter the pod-race.

The build-up to the pod-race is good, but it's a pity that the wonderful fanfare of `The Flag Parade' is so much shorter on this CD (Williams' whole composition is on the 1-disc edition). After Anakin wins the pod-race, we are treated to some triumphant music, followed by his emotional and life-changing separation from his mother.

`Anakin is Free' includes a tender woodwind section that speaks to the dilemma of a young boy wanting to achieve great things, but having to give up his family and home to do it. As we all know, the galaxy will never be the same because of it, and so his decision is punctuated by a grand, stirring rendition of the `Star Wars' theme.

Worthy of mention is that Qui-Gon also has a theme, completely absent from the original soundtrack, but noticeable in several places on this set. Another excellent device here is the Emperor's Theme, which haunts the edges of the music, giving the impression of a real `Phantom Menace' lurking in the background, waiting to strike.

Again, the music accompanying all of the political back-and-forth is quite dull, with a few exceptions, however it's well worth it when the final battle begins, and we are treated to several variations on the `Duel of the Fates'. `The Tide Turns' is, in my opinion, the best track on this 2-CD set and almost worth the price just by itself.

`The Parade' is a weird and wonderful mix of the strange musical style of the Gungans together with children scatting and laughing, harking back to the way in which the original saga ended with the party in the Ewoks' tree houses. My only complaint would be the `running-on' of the tracks, but otherwise a brilliant set!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Experience, 30 Aug 2003
By A Customer
I have had all the original star wars soundtracks since their release in 1997 along with the special edition premiers, the Phantom Menace was the first film of the saga that I was actually alive for when it premiered (I'm only 18). The score itself is excellent, it is no where near as good as the orginals, but it is still brilliant. Whilst listening to this album you can truly appreciate the full power of John Williams and the London Symphonic Orchestra. A few of the reviews have critisced the albums 'linked' tracks, so what? who cares if you have problems programming it?, the music is excellent as is the album itself. The contious flow of the tracks, in my opinion, makes it easier to listen to, they don't stop and start, they just go along like the order of the film. It's not as if the linked tracks go on for hours and hours, there are stops in between the different stages of the soundtrack/film. If anyone out there is concerned about buying this soundtrack because of the way it is layed out, "get over it", and buy the score today, it's excellent, and should not to be missed by anyone.