Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.99

VINE VOICEon 24 November 2005
Sleepwalking is an unforgettable and tension filled book. It drew me in and held my interest completely from the first page to the last. The plot is relatively simple, but it is the actions of the characters and the fascinating revelations of their pasts that really holds the reader.
I found Susan to be a very likeable character. She is mixed up, damaged by her childhood and in a marriage with a man who she feels less and less connected to as the years go by. On top of this is the fact that she is pregnant and feels as though her body is being taken over. The novel is beautifully written and the simple economy of language stunned me in places because it was so emotive. The affair between Susan and Lenny was very believable and the closeness they felt together was transmitted perfectly onto the page.
The Publishers Weekly review above really does the book an injustice. Yes, Susan has an affair while she is pregnant but she does not do it callously - she is afraid and almost near breakdown. I would not describe her husband as either particularly decent or likeable, although he does stand by Susan. To me he came across as one of those stern, `put every problem a woman has down to hormones' type of man who wasn't interested in listening to Susan or talking about her problems. He didn't even want to discuss her art, which was her passion.
The flashbacks to Susan's father's early life were wonderful and the character of Queenie was scary without being over the top. The problems that Susan encounters with her own sisters and mother over an inheritance are very realistic and show how you can be related to someone and still have no clue as to why they are behaving in a particular way. The only drawback of this book is that it seemed quite short, which would have been fine but the ending was a bit sudden and not as satisfying as I'd hoped. But that, I suppose, is what life is often like.
JoAnne
on 12 May 2004
was the first of julie's books i read and i knew straight away that i LOVED her writing. it will not appeal to those who like florid literary prose or who are squeamish about sex-in-pregnancy[though i think her sex-scenes are so spot-on she must have done her own research for this!]. she has a spare,intense style whose negative energy draws you into the page,the spaces between the words.
on 30 April 2008
This is a clever, deep, engrossing book. In essence it is about a young woman's attempt to escape the mess that two previous generations have made of life. It is extremely well-written, but the writing never gets in the way of the story and the characters, which are to me the most important aspect of a book. Neither is it `over-plotted': a simple, realistic story unfolds, with a build-up to a choice and to a face-off with the forces of evil - no, not evil, that's too melodramatic, the forces of tragedy and waste - at the end. Good novels leave me feeling reconnected to life, to its depth, to its subtleties, and this one hits the spot perfectly.
on 1 February 1999
This book was "unputdownable", I read it in about four hours. It takes you on a rollercoaster ride through various emotions, including love, lust, confusion and many more. Like with her other novels Myerson engages your mind and your soul and is one of the best reads I have had in a long while.
0Comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2016
I really liked this book, a warm story, and a challenging one. I've gone and downloaded another of Julie Myerson's books. I will look forward to reading it.
on 26 March 2014
Julie is a born story teller, I read this book over one weekend, couldn't put it down, had to know what happened in the end. Fabulous
on 8 December 2012
I really liked this and read it very swiftly. Absolutely convincing in spite of being outlandish in a number of ways.
on 18 September 2001
This is a very disappointing novel. Myerson is a great writer but the 'bored housewife' plot just seems so unoriginal. The plot consists of the aforementioned housewife's torrid affair. To be frank, I was struggling to finish this book. I'm a fan of Myerson's other work but this rather dull effort left me sleeping.
0Comment6 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse