Format: Vinyl|Change

on 21 February 2012
It takes a certain perversity to open an album with the lugubrious 9 minute spoken word "Chocolate" especially when so many subsequent tracks would have made ideal openers. Even the Velvet Underground sequenced "The Gift" after the eponymous, uptempo, title track on "White Light White Heat". Perhaps the Tindersticks think, possibly rightly, that the majority of those who purchase and listen to "The Something Rain" will be die-hard fans (and I, for one, cannot believe it is over 18 years since I played the band's debut relentlessly in my first term at university) and who will be unconcerned with the consequences. "Chocolate" has variously delighted and left non-plussed critics and, while I think it is a compelling listen once the opening lo-fi repeated chord strums cease, it is simply not the best way to introduce or shape an album.

Thereafter, proverbial monkey off their back, the Tindersticks demonstrate their mastery of their art, whether one calls it "noir bossa-nova", "existential easy listening" or countless other amusing epithets bandied around in the last week. For me though, on tracks like "Slippin' Shoes", they simply confirm their status as the best British soul band since Dexys Midnight Runners. For those previously divided by Stuart Staples' baroque croon, it is not nearly as theatrical as previously (save, perhaps, for "A Night So Still") and simply amounts to an integral part of the band's overall sound.

And so, in answer to the ultimate question as to whether I would recommend this, the answer is "yes" for while the Tindersticks do not exactly break new ground this is a worthy addition to their impressive catalogue, as suitable as any introduction for the curious (sequencing excepted) and very simply something rather good indeed.
on 25 September 2013
The last Tindersticks album I bought (& heard) was Simple Pleasures in (gasp) 1999. A decade & a half later, I only picked up The Something Rain as I found a cheap copy in a high street bargain bin, but... I'm really glad I did.

It takes a while to get going. The opening, somewhat interminable "Chocolate" is gorgeous musically, but it's slightly annoying & poorly mixed monologue felt like a bad omen for the l.p. as a whole when I first played it & would've been better placed mid-album I think? Second song "Show Me Everything" would've made a superior opener, & is far more representative of The Something Rain's top class suite of crestfallen Tindersticks chanson. You either love them or can't stand them I suppose &, as per John Peel's legendary Fall adage, they're "always different, always the same". Stuart remains Stuart, a Marmite vocalist you'll either adore or detest, but the band have audibly evolved since I last heard them, & there's an alluring weather-beaten maturity to much of the music herein. They've finally filled out those jumble sale suits of old, & middle aged spread becomes them.

The Something Rain is a fine album. And, who knows, perhaps "Chocolate" will grow on me eventually too?
on 12 May 2012
It's very similar to the last album, Falling Down The Mountain, in terms of both musical and vocal direction. String instruments, so beautifully complementing Stuart's voice in the older days are practically no more, except song Medicine, the most profound on the album, perhaps.

I was thinking about three stars review, but it's Tindersticks after all and it is still great band, avant-garde rather than pop; uncompromising, even if primitive at times; I admire them for it. That's the price you pay for independence (and too much wine).
However, they gradually move away from the enchanted melodies of The Curtains or Waiting for the Moon in a different direction, more decadent, more uncertain, which is all fine, but the last instrumental piece of the album is shallow and does the album harm. The electro-synthetic sound they use increasingly is fine, minimalist, but for me only tolerable. Those little symphonies of previous albums and their film scores, were much more to my liking. That's where melancholy dwells... in the sounds of real instruments, not their digital clones.
Album well worth buying and listening to, however...
on 12 May 2012
Having most Tindersticks albums already, I wasn't sure, frankly, that I needed another: if I'm honest, I still haven't really got to know the last one. But listening to clips of this made up my mind. I'm glad, as The Something Rain feels both quintessential Tindersticks and yet a step forward, too.
The different elements of the band are all here: slightly gothic abstraction; off-beat jazz inflections; great spoken word story; spacious, soulful romanticism. Often, there's a groove that just carries this all along beautifully, sweeping the album by until it's ready to start again.
This is an album by a band sure of who it is, what it does and delighting in being itself.
on 7 March 2012
I have pretty much everything Tindersticks have ever done and I love their music, throughout its various transformations.

This new album was, for me, a disappointment after the excellent Falling Down the Mountain. There are a couple of decent songs here; Show me Everything and This Fire of Autumn being the standouts for me. However, this album seems to be more about drifting soundscapes than well constructed songs. Tindersticks have always done that sort of thing, but this time those soundscapes are the core of the album rather than interludes.

There are some atmospheric sounds here but the overall effect, bar a couple of tracks, is music that washes over you and which seems designed for the background rather than close listening.
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2012
Ladies and gentlemen Tindersticks have come back! It means that we have to enjoy this new CD. Beautiful songs (and so cheap!). I'd specially recommend "Chocolate, Show me everything, Medicine and Goodbye Joe". However if this is the first time you listen to this people, I'd suggest to start with some of their previous albums... like "Waiting for the Moon", for example.
There is something to improve. They don't include the lyrics. And this is something you miss when you listen to it.
on 22 March 2013
Tindersticks does not break new ground with this album, but for long time fans, this album is like a pair of old socks: unfashionable, comfortable and utterly endearing.
on 3 March 2016
goodish
on 17 May 2012
I hadn't brought a Tindersticks album in years and decided to give this a try after reading a few good reviews. Was pleased that I did as it's a cracking album and has been on heavy rotation ever since. I guess Tindersticks are a bit like the Fall; always the same but a bit different.
on 16 March 2014
Love vinyl and this is an excellent addition to my collection will keep looking for more new records as you are quite cheap