4.0 out of 5 stars Something good
Published on 21 Feb 2012 by degrant

3.0 out of 5 stars Will suit some, but not me...
I have pretty much everything Tindersticks have ever done and I love their music, throughout its various transformations.

Published on 7 Mar 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Something good, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Something Rain (Audio CD)
It takes a certain perversity to open an album with the lugubrious 9 minute spoken word "Chocolate" especially when so many subsequent tracks would have made ideal openers. Even the Velvet Underground sequenced "The Gift" after the eponymous, uptempo, title track on "White Light White Heat". Perhaps the Tindersticks think, possibly rightly, that the majority of those who purchase and listen to "The Something Rain" will be die-hard fans (and I, for one, cannot believe it is over 18 years since I played the band's debut relentlessly in my first term at university) and who will be unconcerned with the consequences. "Chocolate" has variously delighted and left non-plussed critics and, while I think it is a compelling listen once the opening lo-fi repeated chord strums cease, it is simply not the best way to introduce or shape an album.

Thereafter, proverbial monkey off their back, the Tindersticks demonstrate their mastery of their art, whether one calls it "noir bossa-nova", "existential easy listening" or countless other amusing epithets bandied around in the last week. For me though, on tracks like "Slippin' Shoes", they simply confirm their status as the best British soul band since Dexys Midnight Runners. For those previously divided by Stuart Staples' baroque croon, it is not nearly as theatrical as previously (save, perhaps, for "A Night So Still") and simply amounts to an integral part of the band's overall sound.

And so, in answer to the ultimate question as to whether I would recommend this, the answer is "yes" for while the Tindersticks do not exactly break new ground this is a worthy addition to their impressive catalogue, as suitable as any introduction for the curious (sequencing excepted) and very simply something rather good indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Something Rain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Love vinyl and this is an excellent addition to my collection will keep looking for more new records as you are quite cheap

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks for delivery and for the pleasure of owning this album, 28 April 2013
This review is from: The Something Rain (Audio CD)
This album hits my soul the best yet from the wonderful Tinderstcks. So looking forward to seeing them in Amsterdam in Oct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely album, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Something Rain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Tindersticks does not break new ground with this album, but for long time fans, this album is like a pair of old socks: unfashionable, comfortable and utterly endearing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will suit some, but not me..., 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Something Rain (Audio CD)

This new album was, for me, a disappointment after the excellent Falling Down the Mountain. There are a couple of decent songs here; Show me Everything and This Fire of Autumn being the standouts for me. However, this album seems to be more about drifting soundscapes than well constructed songs. Tindersticks have always done that sort of thing, but this time those soundscapes are the core of the album rather than interludes.

There are some atmospheric sounds here but the overall effect, bar a couple of tracks, is music that washes over you and which seems designed for the background rather than close listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Autumn Music, 25 Sep 2013
Rooksby (United KIngdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Something Rain (Audio CD)
The last Tindersticks album I bought (& heard) was Simple Pleasures in (gasp) 1999. A decade & a half later, I only picked up The Something Rain as I found a cheap copy in a high street bargain bin, but... I'm really glad I did.

It takes a while to get going. The opening, somewhat interminable "Chocolate" is gorgeous musically, but it's slightly annoying & poorly mixed monologue felt like a bad omen for the l.p. as a whole when I first played it & would've been better placed mid-album I think? Second song "Show Me Everything" would've made a superior opener, & is far more representative of The Something Rain's top class suite of crestfallen Tindersticks chanson. You either love them or can't stand them I suppose &, as per John Peel's legendary Fall adage, they're "always different, always the same". Stuart remains Stuart, a Marmite vocalist you'll either adore or detest, but the band have audibly evolved since I last heard them, & there's an alluring weather-beaten maturity to much of the music herein. They've finally filled out those jumble sale suits of old, & middle aged spread becomes them.

The Something Rain is a fine album. And, who knows, perhaps "Chocolate" will grow on me eventually too?

4.0 out of 5 stars Just enjoy, 16 Mar 2012
Tanomaky (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Something Rain (Audio CD)
Ladies and gentlemen Tindersticks have come back! It means that we have to enjoy this new CD. Beautiful songs (and so cheap!). I'd specially recommend "Chocolate, Show me everything, Medicine and Goodbye Joe". However if this is the first time you listen to this people, I'd suggest to start with some of their previous albums... like "Waiting for the Moon", for example.
There is something to improve. They don't include the lyrics. And this is something you miss when you listen to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good cd, 21 Jun 2012
Webuy "guruaek" (NE Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Something Rain (Audio CD)
This cd is like the old good cd's of tindersticks.
Once again they make the songs whiches we love this group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album as usual from Tindersticks, 17 May 2012
This review is from: The Something Rain (Audio CD)
Fantastic album, Stuart Staples' voice does not loose any of its enigmatic charm. Never tire if listening to this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Special, 12 May 2012
This review is from: The Something Rain (Audio CD)
Having most Tindersticks albums already, I wasn't sure, frankly, that I needed another: if I'm honest, I still haven't really got to know the last one. But listening to clips of this made up my mind. I'm glad, as The Something Rain feels both quintessential Tindersticks and yet a step forward, too.
The different elements of the band are all here: slightly gothic abstraction; off-beat jazz inflections; great spoken word story; spacious, soulful romanticism. Often, there's a groove that just carries this all along beautifully, sweeping the album by until it's ready to start again.
This is an album by a band sure of who it is, what it does and delighting in being itself.

The Something Rain
The Something Rain by Tindersticks (Audio CD - 2012)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available