4.0 out of 5 stars MIRANDA SYKES & REX PRESTON - Miranda Sykes & Rex Preston, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston (Audio CD)
I declare I had more than a passing interest in this recording as soon as I saw the photograph of Rex Preston's mandolin. OK, so (like many other readers out there) I was aware of Miranda Sykes if only for her association with Show Of Hands but had, until this time not personally paid much attention. That'll teach me...for here we have a wistfully crafted album that could see its way into my top ten favourite `folk' recordings of 2012...and it's only January! This personable duo might find themselves in competition with Simon Mayor & Hilary James and, if so, as Sherlock Holmes might say "...the game's afoot". If you like `folk' music with an artistic flourish then I can do no more than recommend Preston's astonishingly deft touch on all things string and particularly the track "A Kiss In The Morning Early" (anyone out there remember The Matthews Brothers?) which is just sublime. He certainly marks his territory where Chris Thile has trod before by including the merest hint of Pachelbel for good measure and the duo's arrangements don't take risks so much as embrace them and I'm sure the songwriters who have contributed unknowingly (Karine Polwart, Kate Rusby, Imogen Heap and Patty Griffin) would be more than happy with the finished result. If you're looking to replenish your spirits in these austere times then I suggest you purchase this recording at the earliest opportunity and impress your friend's safe in the knowledge that here are two artists at the top of their tree!

PETE FYFE

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston (Audio CD)
What a lovely surprise this album is! We saw Miranda and Rex at a gig in a village hall - which was surprising enough - and we were so impressed that we bought this album there. And we were so impressed by the album that I have now bought it as a Christmas present for someone else. We had seen Miranda play bass and sing with Show of Hands which was lovely but the bass and mandolin combination with Rex produces such a delightful sound and the songs are strong - a good mix of styles. Altogether a bit of a find!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston (Audio CD)
The quality of this work is outstanding and Miranda's voice is exceptional, great folk balads accompanied by mandolin and double bass , .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston (Audio CD)
This album is great. I love their arrangements, Rex's mandolin playing is fantastic and Miranda's voice is full of character. There is a good combination of wistfulness, cheekiness and excitement. I hadn't heard of them until they played a gig in a friend's front room before Christmas - there is a great interaction between them which is great fun. This album is now "stuck" in my CD player. Looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely album, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston (Audio CD)
Thoroughly enjoyed Miranda and Rex at a live venue and bought this afterwards. Often listen in the car singing along in somewhat imperfect harmony :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One to buy, 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston (Audio CD)
Having seen Miranda and Rex a few times this year at various festivals, this CD is delightful, but it cannot project the character of the live performance, especially Rex's facial gestures - lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a friend., 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston (Audio CD)
I bought this as a 50th Birthday present for a friend. He says that these are new and up and coming singers. I have not heard the music but I trust my friend's musical judgement.

Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston
Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston by Miranda Sykes And Rex Preston (Audio CD - 2012)