5.0 out of 5 stars Luther Kite vs. Lt. Jack Daniels - and only one of them...
... will escape living from this "Inferno"!

Published on 13 April 2013 by Miki101.Michaela

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why I finished this one
I rated Konrath's JACK (Jacqueline) DANIELS STORIES with 5 stars previously so respect his work, but this book was appalling.

Published on 10 Jan. 2012 by johnverp

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why I finished this one, 10 Jan. 2012

I really don't know where to start with the negative commentary. I can live with graphic or gory stories, up to a point, but there needs to be a viable plot and there isn't one here. All we have is a book full of nonsense, coincidence and just so much which is unbelievable that I only finished to see why others rated this highly. And I still didn't see anything. Structurally, there was little to redeem the work - the bad guy meets Jack, our heroine, just after half-way into the book and they play "games" through to the finale so it is one long drawn-out second half with just gore and more gore in improbable scenarios. And her antics and feats as a woman just about to give birth confounded me. True, there were a couple of humorous lines but how do you appreciate them when they are being expressed by people getting tortured?

Perhaps this was a parody and I missed all the nuances. But I doubt it. I don't think I have ever said `save your money and don't buy this book" in a review, but I do now - an absolute waste of time. Why bother with nonsense like this when Connelly, Goddard, Hill and others still write books in the genre? I suspect I will get hammered for this review, but there is no point in not calling it as you see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luther Kite vs. Lt. Jack Daniels - and only one of them..., 13 April 2013
... will escape living from this "Inferno"!

Ex-Lieutenant of the Chicago Murder Squad Jack (Jacqueline) Daniels known by her series written by J.A. Konrath Jack Daniels Series - Three Thriller Novels (Whiskey Sour #1, Bloody Mary #2, Rusty Nail #3), Jack Daniels Series - Three Thriller Novels (Dirty Martini #4, Fuzzy Navel #5, Cherry Bomb #6) and Shaken (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Series) # 7 has met in her long and bloody career the worst and most cruel and repellent serial-killers. She has lost good friends and looked death more than once right into the face. But until now she has always defeated the Evil.

Luther Kite known from Blake Crouch's Thicker Than Blood (The Complete Andrew Z. Thomas Trilogy - Books #1, #2, #3) and Shaken (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Series) is one of those worst and most cruel and repellent monsters. His countless murders - enormous atrocities - were committed driven only by the pure lust of torture and killing. He is really the greatest monstrosity of all. An no one was ever able to put a stop to his unnameble activities.

Jack Daniels and Luther Kite - both the best in their oh so opposite occupations. No one has ever exceeded them.
But now it's time for the great showdown...

At the end of Shaken Luther Kite had made the decision to break Jack once and for all - despite of all her bravery and skills.
And in this very special moment our tough heroine is extremely vulnerable: 48 years old, in her last month of pregnancy, and with a whole bundle of health problems, too.

And Luther has prepared for her something really special: His private Horror Disney-Land, based on the nine circles of the "Inferno" aka "Hell" in Dante's "Divine Comedy". Especially for a lot of other more or less innocent souls and
Jack, her lover and her friends - and also the baby have special, important roles.
And no one has a chance to escape this nightmarish scenery...
So let us enter this surreal place with the words of Dante Alighieri himself:
"All hope abandon, ye who enter in!"

"Stirred" can be read as a stand-alone, but has been created to be the final book of the above mentioned Jack-Daniels-series and the Luther-Kite-series.
There are cameos - more or less bloody - of other villains both authors have written of, to make the action more ... full of action!

The book is fast, changing the protagonists' sights often and rapid.
And never forget - this is a pure horror-thriller.
The murders are bloody and nothing for squeamish minds. So is the parlance of our heroine, who 2 weeks before giving birth isn't yet entirely adapted at her situation...
And the authors don't make it any easier for her, letting her endure in the fastest part of the book some kind of action, not properly advisable for a heavily pregnant woman. Maybe they thought of it as some kind of prenatal gymnastics :)

And the end - the very end, is absolutely astonishing!
Because only one of our two adversaries can survive!
The way both authors have resolved this puzzle - compliments!

I have read the book in one night.
I simply couldn't stop.
I have read all the Jack-Daniels/Luther-Kite books, but this thriller can be read without any knowledge of the universe the authors have created in all the years.
A clear recommendation for every horror and thriller fan!

Have a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a finale!!, 27 Nov. 2011
G. Brewer (UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent book that rounds up the stories of Luther, Jack, Phin, Harry, Herb, Andrew, Lucy and co very nicely. Well, nicely might be the wrong word - gory, thrilling, shocking, breath taking may be better ways of describing it! I was desperate to finish this book and find out what happened but also wanted to read it slowly to make it last! Fantastic job and a must read for fans of Crouch & Konrath!! All I can say is - please don't let this be the end!!

1.0 out of 5 stars SOOOOOO DISAPPOINTING, 9 Aug. 2013
Having really enjoyed all the Jack Daniels books I was really looking forward to the final 2 - Shaken was pretty bad but this was the pits!! If this had been the first I had read by J Konrath I would not have read more than a couple of pages and never bought another book by him. Having enjoyed the humour, characterisation and crazy situations in previous books I was unprepared for unrelenting gore - I struggled for a few chapters believing it had to get better but it did not - ended up page flicking to the end - so unsatisfactory and really disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read, 15 Jun. 2014
I might have enjoyed this more if I'd read more about the 2 subplots from previous books. It was gruesome in places and gripping for most of it, but I didn't enjoy it. Too many characters , too much violence, what would usually be horrifying was more a case of, yeh, what else or what next. Too much killing. Main character annoying and unbelievable. No desire to read other books from these storylines

5.0 out of 5 stars so much to absorb...., 22 Jan. 2012
well lets start with the odd/bad bits...yes its stretched and your imagination needs to pull a bit sometimes on what a nearly birthing woman can do and how much pain a human body can withstand....
BUT
this is a work of fiction.... I hope! we are not reading a real crime story!
McGlade had me giggling, Herb I wanted to cuddle... fully understood JD and wish I was a strong as she is.... luckily I have a great man like Phinn who loves me otherwise I would have jealous!
It really does tie up some loose ends and you do think you have worked it all out, then it bites you in the rump again with another weird twist....
as for the unbelievable things that ppl do to each other... unfortunately this could be true... watch Hotel Rwanda or read about the slave trade....(just 2 that stick out in my mind).
great thriller and horror all in one....
makes me want to read by the authors and the characters....
would recommend highly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shaken but not stirred., 10 Sept. 2012
WHAT A ROTTER! Ridiculous plot. The author has put together the most grisly and violent scenarios imaginable but without a thought for credibility. Read it at your peril!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good (though very messy) end to this series, 7 Sept. 2014
Oh what a nasty man the serial killer is. And what an imagination the author has, to think this all up (is this worrying, lol)?

And having read the entire series, I shall be buying the short stories and the Blake Crouch books where Luther Kite is introduced. A good collaboration - I have read some where you can tell the authors have handed sections of the book over - if they've done this here, it's seamless (thank goodness).

I'd love to see more in the series with Jack as a mother, wonder whether they'll oblige?

4.0 out of 5 stars Successful collaboration..., 30 Nov. 2011
Crouch and Konrath have lots of history with these characters, so it's impressive how tightly they bring everything together here.

Having read the 3 previous Andrew Z. Thomas books, but no Jack Daniels, I was disappointed that Thomas barely made an appearance in the first half of the book - but when he did show up I was genuinely surprised and satisfied. If you enjoyed the authors' previous work you'll certainly enjoy this.

The "if" is important here. There's a definite "car crash" fascination to books like these - not in the writing - but in the action. It's full on body horror that's extreme in every sense, and not for the squeamish or the realistic plot spotter. The bad guys are at their most visceral and supernaturally powerful. The good guys are at their most helpless, as Crouch and Konrath follow the "what's the worst that can happen" approach.

Like Dante, whose work is referenced throughout the book, this is not a recipe for realism, and whether you are prepared to let that slide will depend on how far you are willing to go along for the ride.

Readers prepared to suspend disbelief in some areas will see characters they care about dropped into the worst situations the authors could imagine, and then watch as those characters struggle to save themselves.

Or not.

2.0 out of 5 stars Considering the amount of killings the serial killer was involved ..., 10 Sept. 2014
Considering the amount of killings the serial killer was involved in I cannot imagine the Police allowing a pregnant retired offers to practically run the investigation. The killings are gruesome At location 3933 in the book The authors used words to describe Luther.
The story is so unbelievable and ridiculous and I use the same words to describe the authors "The story told me something about the scope of their deranged fantasies, and the depth of their depravity"

I thought this book was ridiculous.