5.0 out of 5 stars I want this in bookform!
Published on 24 Dec 2011 by Maria Westerduin

3.0 out of 5 stars Escapism or pure fantasy?
Just too many highly improbable characters compared with her earlier books, and lacking in her usual charm in some ways. Disappointing.
Published 10 months ago by Ms S

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I want this in bookform!, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
I am from Holland en am a Huge Big Fan. I have red all the books a thousand times. They have seen every mood and the gave just one feeling: joy! I love chicklit, but most of these books are written horribly: no structure, no plot, lots of recepies, cheesy women and awful alfa male leading men. So a lot of dissapointment there. So I take a new thriller. Those writers can write plots, complicated charachters but they can't give you that nice 'I was sad but now happy feeling'.

And then there is Miss Clayton. She is one of a kind: Kind, intelligent, with a sharp but kind eye for human ridiculousness. There is always an excellent plot, colourfull characters and for me there is a nice by product: after reading I am always in the mood for cleaning my house. And you see the world around you with a sparkle of ridiculousness and that makes life so much more adventurous. You don't even have to leave your neighbourhood for that.

Ms Gwyneth Lewis wrote in her beautiful book: Sunbathing in the Rain: I wish there was a department in the library for people having a depression. Books like Cold Comfort Farm. I had to think of Ms Clayton. She writes books for that section. So if are you depressed begin to read Clayton.

So please release this title in bookform, it belongs there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely book!, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
When I read Victoria Clayton's books, I end up feeling a better person somehow. And more interested in housework, which she often manages to make a compelling and fun activity - has she found Flylady.com I wonder? Although this book has less of a housework theme than most, it is partly set in Cornwall (somewhere I also love) so that makes up for it. The book is beautifully written, with engaging characters and lots of laughs. Light-hearted, romantic fiction to be sure, but much higher quality than most. One of my all-time favourite authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than up to standard, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
Very pleased to find this available as a Kindle ebook, as I always eagerly await the latest from this author. The usual enjoyable, complicated plot, with a number of unexpected twists. Why do the publishers seem to insist on a blurb that implies that Victoria Clayton's books are simple rom-coms, when they are always SO much more though-provoking?

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure I would love it if I could read it!, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
I'm so sad I can't read this book because it's only out on kindle! I LOVE Victoria Clayton novels and I too feel a better person after reading them. I also love real books and can't justify buying a kindle for one book :( When will it be released as a real book??!

5.0 out of 5 stars So frustrated, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
I have loved all Victoria Clayton's books. They are entertaining, informative and very well written. When I wade through so much inferior material on offer in library and bookshop, I cannot understand why this latest book has not been issued in paper format. Considering the quality and standing of the auther, publishers should have been waiting to pounce on it. Ever since I read that it was being written, I have waited impatiently for it to be published. I am so disappointed. I cannot afford to buy a kindle, don't think they compare anyway. Please, please will somebody see sense and publish this book so that devoted fans like me can read it. Also, please, please another book in proper book form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why no print edition?, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book as I have loved all her others, but why only an e-book this time? I'm disappointed not to have a hard copy to put on my bookshelf now I've finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming as ever, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
I am a big fan of Victoria Clayton's books and this contained all the elements I love and expect from a title of hers.

Artemis Castor is an endearing heroine: independent and intelligent, anxious by nature and prone to worrying, determined to do her best to think well of people (though this last trait has its exasperating moments!). Left in sole care of her twelve-year-old sister by a dead mother and an uninterested father, she does the best she can to protect Persephone even when times get hard.

The book is filled with the usual cast of madcap eccentrics, always so distinct and interesting to read about. As usual I found our hero to be unconventional, flawed and completely delightful. Add the strong value for hearth, home and garden which all Ms Clayton's heroines (and usually heroes) share, plus the obligatory crumbling but beautiful old country house, and it's a recipe for perfect happiness as usual.

It's another quite long book, but as is always the case I regretted reaching the end and wished it had been longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters!, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
I have read all Victoria Clayton's books and thoroughly enjoyed them.
She has wonderful eccentric characters and I like how the heroines from the previous novel appear briefly in the current one.
I also love the descriptions of the houses and landscapes especially Cornwall, I felt as if I was there.
Looking forward to the next story now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick-Literary!, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
I must confess to having read all Victoria Clayton's novels, and have enjoyed them all, as much for the descriptions of people, places, food, clothes etc as the storylines.
The heroine of this novel is Artemis,a beautiful but penniless trainee Architect who throws caution to the winds to marry a charming man she has known for only 7 weeks.The story is set in the 80s and tells of the consequences for Artemis, her family and friends over the following few months.
Stormy Weather is extremely funny in places, but more in a quiet chuckle way than a belly laugh, and the conversations are often quite thought provoking, with a fair few literary allusions, although not obscure ones.
I really enjoyed the book - and learned a bit about Architecture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stormy Weather (Kindle Edition)
Lovely to have a new Victoria Clayton though I'm sorry that there is apparently no paper edition. A splendid story as usual - I'm a great fan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›