Format: Audio CD|Change

Simon Balthazar and his band of merry minstrels, notwithstanding lineup changes
since their 2009 debut 'Reservoir', have come up with a cracking second showing
with 'Rooms Filled With Light'. There is a sense of purpose and drama in these
twelve tracks which deserves to win them new fans if given the exposure it deserves.

Mr Balthazar knows how to spin a good tune and has the kind of voice (a very good
one) which quickly gets under your skin and stays there pulsing away well after
the last echoes of the recording fade away into the night and well on into the
following morning. The arrangements are clear and crisp and lucid and make good
use of strings and brass to augment the confident organic structure of the whole.

Take a composition like 'Tunguska' : old-fashioned in a wholly reassuring way, it
delivers a simple sixties-flavoured melody and nails it to the mast with conviction
and a total absence of irony. It's a wonderfully soppy and well-rounded invention.
So too opening gambit 'Replicate' which heightens our anticipation with its pulsing
violins and chirpy fairground organ decorations; when the chorus finally unfolds
we are swept away by the beguiling owlish vocal accents and Mr Balthazar's well-
focused central performance. The single 'Deconstruction' romps along like a happy
puppy chasing leaves in the wind and 'Tightrope' shows off the rhythm section
(terrific bass playing here!) and the band's capacity for ribald vocal harmonies
to fine effect. 'Bones' is about as good as a good song gets; a resounding anthem
which packs real emotional clout and the melancholy 'A Flood' which comes a close second
as top track. The tiny coda 'Everything Resolves' brings the project to a magical chiming close.

I loved every minute of it and was left wanting more. Fanfarlo are a very fine band indeed.

Highly Recommended.
on 27 September 2015
Reservoir, the bands debut album was a cracker, I didn't like all the tunes but there were some belters on there. I bought Room Filled With Light after reading some good reviews and keen to hear more from the band. On first listens it was fair to say I was very disappointed. Nothing stood out and I thought I had been duped. Repeated plays are a must though with this band, and fairly quickly, there were things jumping out from the speakers. The opener Replicate, starts off like a Sparks inspired song, and although not my favourite, it is a good opener. The stand outs are in force. Shiny Things is just awesome, with a great chorus and blasting lyrical delivery. It's 4 songs in, but by then you are starting to get a feel for the bands expertise on this album. Bones is just beautiful, and the last 2 tracks, A Flood and Everything Resolves, are pretty special indeed. I can't start giving superlatives as I don't think they are at that road yet, but my, you could do a lot worse than check these guys out.
on 19 July 2013
Great band, great album .Catchy tunes and superb for listening to over and over again without getting bored.Recommended.If you haven't heard of them you're missing out.
on 16 November 2012
This group was brought to my attention by my sister in Australia. I love every track on this CD and look forward to buying any of their work in future.
on 5 October 2015
What on earth happened here? I don't write many reviews, but felt I had to for this - it's garbage. Anyone giving it 5 stars must be a friend or relative trying to do them a favour, this is tripe. Gone are the airy breathy beautiful vocals, catchy melodies, and bittersweet moments of the first album, they've been replaced with what sounds like awful Bryan Ferry demos. Thank god the first 2 albums are this way round, as if they dropped this turd first, we'd have all missed out on Reservior. By track 4 you'll be grabbing the cd case to check it's the same band. Then just when you think after hearing Tunguska that it might be ok, on comes a time wasting instrumental. Then the next track, his awful vocal kicks back in, and you realised you had it good when he wasn't singing. By track 10 on the second listen, I can't wait for the album to end so I can draw a line under it and never listen to it again.

If you loved the debut, I'd strongly suggest a stream of this first, it's barely worth the space on your cd shelf. Nice artwork tho.
on 15 January 2015
Great cd. Thanks
on 17 August 2015
good seler
on 31 March 2012
I loved Fanfarlo's first album (Reservoir)and I bought Rooms Filled With Light on day one.
After one month I can say that this album is better than the first (I thought it wasn't possible).
The sound is very different but I think it's perfect.