5.0 out of 5 stars Direct Hit
This, bar none, is my favourite CD by Vangelis. It is a soundtrack in waiting, looking for a suitable film to support it. The different textures and layers of sound are incredible. The ebb and flow of the different pulses and melodic shifts are both tantalising and entrancing.

Published on 13 Jun 2007 by Music Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Direct by Vangelis
Bought this for my Vangelis collection as I missed it when it was first released. Cannot say I like it as much as other CD's in my Vangelis collection. Whether it grows on me remains to be seen. Would I recommend it, not really.
Published 8 months ago by Peter S

5.0 out of 5 stars Direct Hit, 13 Jun 2007
This review is from: Direct (Audio CD)

On first hearing I couldn't believe how beautiful the whole thing sounded. Countless times I have listened with my eyes closed and pictured in my head so many images that the music tries to portray. And just as many times I imagine different landscapes that could accompany the sound. Thoughts of space, oceans and long lost paradise islands sift through the brain.

The operatic and synth mix works and there are many slow burning masterpieces here that build and build, taking you on a journey that is sumptuous.

I will never tire of this album, it is a precious addition to my collection, and will be for a very long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality goes synth, 13 Jan 2009
This review is from: Direct (Audio CD)
This is definitely one of the best Vangelis albums. It is full of top class tunes which always put me in a good mood, no matter how blue I feel. However the very best track is left to last. Intergalactic Radio Station is like the Ode to Joy for the modern age. A triumphant lead up to an uncredited Jon Anderson singing some typically sureal lyrics then anouncing the beauty of the morning. I challenge you to listen to this on a cold dark early morning trip to work and not feel a little better about the day ahead.
If you are new to Vangelis's albums this is a good place to start, and if you are already a fan then this is a great album to add to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, dynamic, beautiful, ..., 14 Sep 2000
This review is from: Direct (Audio CD)
I like Direct - one of Vangelis' best IMHO. There is such a huge range of music here from driving synth rock to the operatic - many different textures and sounds, and the use of synthesisers as an instrument, not as a substitute for acoustic or electric instruments. This is a good'un. If you like Vangelis or Mike Oldfield, you'll like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative, mid-career creative classic., 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: Direct (Audio CD)
A friend gave me this album on cassette for my 18th birthday, the same year it was released in 1988. It landed in my tape deck at the dawn of my own musical explorations and it infected my DNA. What struck me at the time was Vangelis' confident mix of analogue and digital – in 1988, everyone had thrown out their CS80s and all those other beautiful creatures of synthesis, hearing them as cringingly anachronistic. But not Van the Greek man – he was among the first to show how beautiful they will always sound in the right hands. This album struck the young me as the work of a mature artist, however light and accessible the LP is.

To bring the love down to earth JUST a touch, the sampling of guitars in here is, to the geek ear, of it's time, as is the light touch to any beats or bass end. But if you're prepared to suspend your gritty street cred for a private moment, the creativity, skill and atmosphere of this record keeps it as a frequent listen for me, and I think my almost all-time favourite project of one of my all-time favourite composers and synth gods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard Master, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Direct (Remastered) (Audio CD)
Vangelis for me is an Icon and Master of keyboard and synthesized music, i have been a fan since 1977 when i heard To The Unknown Man for the first time and i liked him instantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequencer Whirlwind, 28 Oct 2013
Nicholas Casley (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Direct (Audio CD)
According to Mark Griffin, in his biography of Vangelis, `Direct' is the name that the composer gave to his customised sequencer that allowed him to play and record with more spontaneity. There had been three years between Vangelis's last studio album (`Mask') and the release of `Direct' in 1988. It would be his only album on the Arista label.

It lasts just over an hour, and like a standard `pop' album, it has twelve separately named tracks instead of movements. There are therefore a wide variety of pieces, from heavy guitars crashing in on the gentle drops of `Metallic Rain', to the gentle rocking of `Elsewhere', and to the ballad of `Glorianna'. The set opens with a sequencer whirlwind of `The Motion of Stars'. I mentioned in my review of `Mask' the seeming appearance of the theme to the first movement of Beethoven's Ninth; it re-appears again here in the track called `Message'.

Most tracks last four or five minutes, again seemingly aiming at the `pop' market; the longest is eight minutes. As well as the varied nature of the tracks and their length, the `pop' feel can also be gauged by the feel of the pieces themselves, their catchy melodies, and the appearance of horns and fretless bass.

Although there is a feeling of a lack of inspiration mid-album, there are absolutely no duff tracks, and two that are outstanding. These are the final eight-minute `Intergalactic Radio Station' with its superb and subtle transformation halfway through to end the album on a high; and track two, `The Will of the Wind', where Vangelis continues to successfully capture the forces of nature. I really did not want the track to end.

`Direct' continues Vangelis's run of superb albums in the 1980s, although his next (`The City') would disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another masterpiece remastered, 30 Jan 2014
Dr. Ivan B. Gerov (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Direct (Remastered) (Audio CD)
Pure pleasure and peace, listening to this wonderful CD. Would recommend to any music fan or Vangelis fanatic. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Album From Vangelis, 4 Jan 2014
D. C. L. Ford "Technomancer" (Broadstairs, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Direct (MP3 Download)
I love music of all kinds from classical to modern pop. Vangelis has to be in my top 5 of favourites, definitely worth adding to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great album, 27 July 2014
Julian Stevens (BRISTOL, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Direct (Remastered) (Audio CD)
One of his best, including a few tracks that verge on being straight rockers (and there's nowt wrong with that). That said, as discussed elsewhere, did it really need remastering?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good album, 26 Oct 2014
This review is from: Direct (Remastered) (Audio CD)
Very good mid period studio album from the master of keyboard and soundtrack work.

Every track on this is very good.

Highly recommended, a must buy.

Direct