5.0 out of 5 stars memories
Published on 25 Jan 2012 by Ex Big husband

3.0 out of 5 stars Averare rating
The production quality is good, however I did not quite enjoy the DVD. It was like a documentary on BBC
Published 8 months ago by John Nylander

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars memories, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
I grew up on lovers rock, its the best music ever. I saw this film at the movies when it first come out last year. it brought back wonder full memories, happy times, the way things use to be. The way we danced, rubbing down wall paper, the sweat, holding on to a nice dance with a woman who melted her body into yours, as if you were making love, the way we use to move and sway and rock with the riddim nice and slow till the next morning. The story of lovers rock makes you feel good, it brings back the vibes, it makes you want to go to revive dances and boy cot the sound clashes. The story of lovers rock I hope, will be enjoyed by the younger generation who will be inspired to carry on the lovers rock music which my generation developed and loved so much. lovers rock can lift you up when you are down, or you are feeling oppressed and let down by the system. it can also make you feel sad if a tune reminds you of a loved one, past, present, or even imaginary. Personally it reminds me of........ I think i should stop there. chow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia for those days of lovers rock, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
This social historical account of Lovers Rock took me back to the days I grew up in the East End of London - sneaking out late on a Saturday night to visit clubs my Christian parents would have been horrified if they found out. Lovers Rock was not purely an African Caribbean social activity but those of us with parents from the continent were also part of this era such as Jean Adebambo who hailed from Nigerian roots. It is a brilliant and amusing narrative that touches on issues of gender, racism in the music business which was reinforced in the wider society and the alienation Africans in Britain faced at the time. It illustrates how we turned inwards and developed a genre of music that spoke to our emotional, psychological and social needs. Its an excellent social history of the period. Menelik Shabazz - I salute you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant film, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film for the first time yesterday at the tabanacle.
It was brillant, an eye opener and brought back alot of childhood memories.
This is definetly value for money and you will not regret spending yur 8.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing back memories!, 23 April 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
The story of Lovers Rock - Well, what can I say. This film brought back memories of how those day were so so nice. I'd forgotten all about the paraffin heaters till I saw it in the film. Young people had respect for each other and music was all about love. I could go on and on but I'll just say, THOSE DAYS WERE JUST NICE!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must see !!!!, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
Wow, I finally got to see this at the Tabanacle, and I thought it was excellent!!!!!
Come on people, every household should have a copy.....

4.0 out of 5 stars When music was nice, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
Wow!,This takes me back to when music was nice.
If you were raving in the late 70's and 80's then you will love this dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rub-A-Dub!, 23 Oct 2012
Mr. M. Hetep (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
Great documentary on a pivotal moment in Black music history. Those of us who were there in the early 80s can recall every dip and sway with nostalgia.The term nostalgia describes a sentimental longing for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations and perfectly sums up what this DVD means to us.

It was great hearing some of the major artist at the time (some still performing I might add), explanations about the music and dancing (dirty dancing - we called it rub-a-dub - that would make Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey look tame!!) and the great comedy sketches from Robbie Gee et al.

Buy this collectors item - wicked!!

5.0 out of 5 stars How I feel, 2 July 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD took you back to your early 20's when going out was fun. Well worth buying for the good memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
for everyone who lived through the 80's in the UK, see if you can spot yourself in a shot. We had a good laugh watching the film it was fantastic. A must watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story of Lovers Rock, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] (DVD)
This was a wonderful reflection of the lovers rock music developed in the UK back in the 1980's when I was in High School. I really enjoy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD]
The Story of Lovers Rock [DVD] by Menelik Shabazz (DVD - 2012)
9.80