Sniper Elite V2 (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360Change
Price:£10.40+£6.49shipping

on 31 May 2012
I have just completed SNIPER ELITE V2 and dont see where all the bad reviews are coming from as far as sniping games go this is definately the best one i have played. I did about 90% of the game with stealth and yes there are parts where you have no option but to have a full on firefight but it is still good gameplay. I see a lot of people saying its too unrealistic having a firefight as a sniper which is true but this is only a GAME and a very good one at that. I for one would not buy a 100% realistic sniper game as it would involve spending days in a bush to kill 1 target :)So i will end my first review with the closing statement of: I thought it was that good i wrote a review about it.
on 24 May 2012
Sniper Elite V2 is an absolutely compelling game experience that you'll struggle to find elsewhere - despite its flaws and lack of polish.

The game is a third person shooter with a heavy emphasis on taking your time, watching enemy patrols through your bincoulars, and planning which targets to takedown and which path to take. You'll be looking for flashes of sunlight reflecting off enemy snipers' scopes. And when you do line up a sniper shot, you'll need to take into account wind, gravity's affect on the bullet, and distance - althoughthis will vary with whichever diffuclty you are playing on. Once you've cleared an area is dash to scavange ammo and traps from bodies (although this does get tedious after a while, although these are the aspects that make it really enjoyable).

As many people have said before, the X-Ray kill cam is thrilling, but this is only a small part of what you get to do - and if you are only seeing the X-Ray kill cam as the best bit, you are playing it wrong.

Hightlights include:
- planting a stick of dynamite in the road, waiting for a truck to passover - and sniping the dynamite to kill 7 enemies in one go.
- sniping fuel tanks on vehicles to make them explode
- sniping a grenade attached to a soldiers belt to kill a group
- have one sniper bullet penetrate 2 or 3 enemies
- sneaking up behind and enemy and doing a stealth kill, then plant a landmine next to his dead body, run away, and then watch from a distance as another soldier rushes over to see whats happened only to blown up
- setup an elaborate network of landmine and trip mines
- throw a rock to dsitract an enemy and sneak past

The game features 10 campaign levels (excluding the pre-order DLC), and although they are quite small in size you are often presented with multiple routes (and vantage points) to complete the mission. This lends itself well to co-op.

The game has 2 player co-op on Xbox 360 & PS3 going up against the game's AI (on PC you also get Team Deathmatch against other humans). The modes are campaign, kill tally, bombing run and overwatch. In any of the modes if anyone of you takes to much fire you'll get knocked down, you have 60 seconds to revive the player or its game over. Playing on Cadet (easy) or Marksman (medium) will allow you and you teammate to "tag" enemies so they show up on each others HUD. Very handy, but you don't get that luxury with with the Sniper Elite difficulty (hard).

Co-op campaign is the complete 10 missions available with another player, and when playing co-op the game only seems to throw in a couple of extra enemies to balance out the combined extra firepower you now have, add to this the 60 second revive timer and the campaign becomes much easier - even on Sniper Elite difficulty. Though it's still enjoyable.

Kill Tally, Bombing Run and Overwatch only allow you to play on 3 maps picked from the campaign - its a shame really as I feel other maps from the campaign could've been used.

Kill Tally is a good survival mode game type. You and a friend are held in an enclosed area and need to defend yourselves from 10 waves of enemies of soldies weilding machine guns, counter snipers, rcket launchers and armored vehicles. You're generally free to develop whatever strategy you like. I prefer to booby trap the hell out of a building and then have you and you partner take out everone from the roof. It worked well for a while until we got to the satge we were facing 6 countr-snipers. Brilliantly tense.

Bombing Run is where you have 6 parts to gather from an open are map, in order to rebuild you escape vehicle. Strangely you can approach them at your own pace - the final timer doesn't start until you've fitted the 4th part out of 6 to the vehicle - at which point you get overwhelmed and have to try to gather the last 2 parts before the time runs out and and the titlar bombing run occurs.

Overwatch is the most interesting. One of you is a dedicated sniper. No pistol. No machine gun. You'll be purched on a ledge while the spotter (who has everything except a sniper rifle) is completing objective in the ground below amongst dozens of enemies.

The flaws need to be pointed out though. Certainly graphically it isn't the best, and your characters' movements aren't graceful, the AI doesn't understand the idea of self-preservation much but these can be forgiven - since the game gives a relly satisfying experience.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
OK, I do play the odd shooting game however I'm not one that likes to have to charge hell for leather blasting randomly hoping that you take out the enemy. Whats my style? To be honest I love sniping, that getting into the right position to deliver the assassination blade or bolt or to take that longshot to take out the enemy quite a distance away that feels rewarding when you hit the mark,

What Sniper Elite does for me as a player is bring all the elements I love together, gives me chance to take out difficult targets but also allows me to lay traps for my own protection when facing overwhelming numbers. The graphics are solid, the sound effects decent but my favourite element is seeing the damage done to the body with carefully placed shots. Add to this having to keep picking up ammunition, target raids as well as enemies that adjust to your playing style and for me this is a game I'll have fun playing through quite a few times. Great stuff.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 October 2012
I downloaded a free demo of this WWII shooter, and was instantly hooked. I pre-ordered a copy, that gave me an extra mission (Kill Hitler - which I can't complete as its FTH (Far Too Hard|)) It also gave me access to a few other weapons. Of the main sniper rifles, the American offering is difficult to use as the scope on it is adequate, but not great. I end up squinting at the screen!. There is an introductory level, which explains how to do everything, and is broken down into different parts. Next comes the level I downloaded, only with further challenges. Most of the levels are pretty hard, and you end up thinking "How did they spot me?" There is the opportunity to replay any missions you complete; always a bonus in any game; meaning you can try out different weapons and try different ways of getting the job done. One of the trickiest moments in the game is when you have to get to a church, but to get there you have to get past a tank. In conclusion, yes it is terribly hard in places, but it's well worth the effort you put into it. 4 out of 5 for playability, but 5 out of 5 for pure enjoyment.
on 15 May 2012
What a Game! Being a huge fan of the original Sniper Elite on PS2! I always held hope that developers Rebellion would deliver a sequel or continue the Franchise in some way,not that i thought they would,as the game had a certain one-off ring to it,but still i hoped for something as the original was one of my favourite games ever! Well here we are almost 7 years on and finally it's here SNIPER ELITE V2! Was it worth the wait........A resounding YES! The game certainly delivers on all levels and retains that SNIPER ELITE feel that made the original so good. Admittedly the game is more of a Remake than a sequel,but it's still fresh....still new and if like me you played the original back in 2005,i'm sure it will churn up nostalgic undertones as you play through a thoroughly enjoyable and quite generous Single-player Campaign. This game is through and through a stealth action shooter,so going in all guns blazing often ends in frequent deaths...WW2 era it is but Call of duty it most certainly isn't! So take your time. it's most definately a thinking man's shooter so if you crave a more Analytical approach and have the patience of saints then this is right up your street. there's plenty of extras including co-op modes online and off so the game certainly has longevity as well as playability. all in all a great game and for me definately as good as the excellent original. If you like games like SPLINTER CELL and HITMAN then you'll know what to expect as this game is just as good and fits perfectly in their said Genre. so what are you waiting for,if you don't already own this game,then go buy it! it's well worth the price-tag and you won't be dissapointed! A Brilliant Game. 10/10.
on 15 April 2013
Having played this game for a fair amount of time I am at a loss to explain how it is a GotY.

The ballistic mechanics are superb, sniping enemies is faultless.

However, the game has a large element of stealth about it. The cover system is poor and substandard, the controls are as clunky as an old ps1 game and lack fluidity, and the worst of all is the AI.

One shot fired at an enemy on a first floor of a building 300m away from the first floor of another building prompts other AI sentries to know exactly what is going on, exactly where you are, and fire with unerring accuracy from 250m+ with sub-machine guns within less than a second. This game should have included more mechanics for stealth and hiding, and enemies should have to actually see you. A sniper should be able to take a few shots from a good vantage position, or from such a great distance cause the AI to take cover.

All of the work went into the sniping mechanics and the developers left the rest of the game elements behind.
on 25 March 2013
Ultimately this game was fun to play. I enjoyed patrolling the streets of a quarried 1945 Germany on my own, bearing my trusty sniper along with my deadly equipment. Features such as the X-ray kill cam was what made this game stand out from its competitors. The story line was understandable and fun to complete and I certainly enjoyed scouting patrolling enemies from broken rooftops and popping a cap in their A**, if you understand what I mean.

I believe that this game deserves a 3 out of a possible 5 and here are my reasons for it:

The realism of the game:

In your inventory you had things such as trip wire, land mines and grenades. Not to mention your rock which you could use (i.e. throw) to intrigue enemy units and move them away from the path to complete your objective. The effects of these were certainly not non-realistic and I liked the precise placing feature for throwing grenades and/or placing trip mines in doorways (HAHA). The sniping was as realistic and the designers of the game, Rebellion, certainly took into account aspects of sniping simulation such as aim stability, penetration, gravity and velocity.

The environment:

Aesthetically the game was certainly adequate to my liking. The broken buildings, flaming vehicles and in the distance aircraft's made me feel as if I was in 1945 Berlin searching for that most important vantage point to eliminate my target.

The simplicity:

Don't get me wrong but I do like getting indestructible followers and a vehicle which can transform into a house but I really felt as if the simplicity of this game was advantageous. At the end of the day in Sniper Elite V2 you are a lone wolf finding sources that leads you to your goal. In this game you have no rocket-propelled mini guns, its just you, your sniper and a purpose.

However I believe that there are some disadvantages to this game. Firstly I believe there should have been more levels. It was in all fairness a short campaign and I was surprised at the end to see that I had completed it. Secondly locating all the bottles and gold bars was a nightmare to do. There was no faint sound or highlight around the objects, so it was difficult to find them as they adapted into the background. Also for collecting the gold bars and bottles there was NO reward apart from an achievement/trophy. Maybe the reward should have been a gold plated, gas operated sniper (pardon the over exaggeration).
on 4 May 2012
Whether you love tactical stealth games, Precise Shooting, or just blowing your opponent's skull to bits: Elite Sniper v2 Has Something for you. With Hours and Hours of campaign to Stalk, and Hundreds of Nazis to brutally slaughter, your single player experience will vary from a Nail-Biting intensity, to an Adrenaline pumping onslaught.

Undeniably the games biggest feature, is it's x-ray examination of the damage you cause with your rifle. Slow-motion shots are frequent, and hitting a runner for a Moving Head shot from 200 meters is extremely gratifying. Along with your rifle you have a traditional SMG which you will want to keep handy for close encounters, and a Suppressed Pistol.

Trip Mines, Land Mines, Dynamite, Grenades, and even Rocks can be deployed by a Strategic Sniper to shift the balance in his/her favor.

High challenge awaits. If you are spotted for even a second, your cover is blown and you have a small army baring down on you, so be careful.

Break Down: A highly impressive Sniper killcam and Difficulty swing does not prevent you from noticing the flaws of this technically choppy but enjoyable Third Person Shooter.

Killcams are frequent, but X-Ray killcams are far from frequent. The difficulty spikes from challenging to down right annoying. You can be spotted easily and your location known by a small army instantly. These things make for the loss of a Star.

Having said that, what you do get is a deliciously graphic sniper game with plenty of Nazis for you to put to the sword. If you like a challenging third person shooter, and you like highly gory kills ranging from delightful to cringeworthy- This game definitely deserves your time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 October 2012
I purchased Sniper Elite V2 for my dads birthday.
Because it came exactly on time, and I was pleased with the prompt delivery I decided to let him have it early, in the hope that someday I would be able to wrap it up and present it to him as a birthday present even though he knew what he was getting much like he did to me and the game 'Dogz' on the Nintendo Ds a few years ago.

I was WRONG!

He just won't stop, he can't put the game down, every time I enter his room. **BOOM -- (BULLET-TIME) -- KIIL**

He assures me that the game has different enviromental details to that of the demo (Enhanced Bullet variations such as drop, spin etc.)
And that the graphics of the game have been somewhat boosted.

I asked him for the bad points, but I'm still waiting for him to reply... **BOOM -- (BULLET-TIME) -- KILL**
I literally just turned around, he's so addicted that he has even taken to killing bottles! Looks like I'm making my own dinner tonight! (Joking... He's not addicted enough to neglect me... Yet! -- Seriously kidding... He just really enjoys this great game and so should/you will too! :) :))
========================================================================================================

Now on a serious note, after very little game-play myself, the game is very/quite addicting and you should hopefully fall in love with it if you enjoy stealthy, tactical games etc.
The features on this game are pretty realistic such as the MRI kills, in which you can see the bullet rip through the enemies body and vital organs in real time, and sometimes you can get the funny shots like what I like to call the 'Nut-Shot' -- You can only guess... And occasionally but very rarely, a 'Double-All-In-One-Nut-Shot'... You probably guessed by now!

But yes, honestly not much to say on this game as I haven't really had much gameplay time myself except for it incorparates a lot of factors such as bullet-time, bullet drop, distractions, MRI, Slow Motion hold breath feature etc. to make the game much for fun for everyone.

I do hope however you found this review somewhat helpful to know that if you buy it, you're probably going to get addicted to it, and if you're buying it for someone else. Don't expect to see them for a while!

Many thanks for reading this more fun and silly review! :) :) ^.^ ^.^
~~Maffy :) :)
on 13 July 2012
The game is certaintly above average, but I dont think it's anything special. The computer AI seems a bit un-realistic, they seem to see you from miles off which kinda defeats the whole object of a sniper game, where you can watch under the scope and wait for a good shot. After one shot, it seems to alert everbody, terning you into more of an assault sniper than what i thought was a stealth, watch and wait kind of sniper. Perhaps an incorparation of a small computer-controled squad which took out fleeing Ai would be cool, as thats what is most realistic. Overall, slightly above average game and stars relate to this.