5.0 out of 5 stars This improved my chess
Published on 1 Feb 2005 by KenM

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, but not all that.
This was the first book in my chess library, and at the time of buying it I was a somewhat inexperienced player. It is an interesting read, and Seirawan writes well. However, despite the generous number of chess problems presented, the book fails to go into any depth. On returning to read it with quite a few more games under my belt, I found that the ideas presented do...
Published on 25 Aug 2004 by spassy87

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This improved my chess, 1 Feb 2005
Like many other people, I was struggling to get my grade above 1400. I have only had this book about 4 weeks and already I am playing at around 1650. Simply the best, most instructive tactics book I have ever read. (and even a touch of humour thrown in). The book is so easy to read, that I couldn't put it down. Tests throughout the book help you to review your progress and keep you hungry for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy 1 book this year this should be the one., 14 April 2002
This review is from: Winning Chess Tactics (Paperback)
Excellent book. It has made such a difference to my play. The book is structured so that anyone can understand it. Each topic is made both easy and interesting with increasingly difficult examples during which the solution is explained step by step. Each topic then finishes with a set of problems to test your understanding before you move on to the next subject. Covers not just the usual forks, pins and skewers but so much more including some I had never heard of. Such as x-rays and windmills. This has to be the tactical book choice of anyone wishing to get above the 1500pt level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Book on Tactics, 17 Aug 1999
This review is from: Winning Chess Tactics (Paperback)
If you have never read any book on Tactics before,you should read this one.This book will surely help you improve if your USCF rating is below 1400.Read this complete book and you will see the change in your game.It doesn't take more than a week to read it.At the end it has some real good tests to see your level of tactical ability.Another book I seriously reccomend is Winning Chess Strategies.Read both the books to become a strong and complete amateur player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winning Tactics is a must read., 5 Dec 2006
Kevin Wilson - See all my reviews
"Chess is 99 percent tactics." - Richard Teichmann (1868-1925)

Seirawan's tactics book is aimed at absolute beginners to intermediates. If you are in this group and haven't read this book buy it now!

If you want to improve at chess then you need to improve your tactics. Winning chess Tactics takes you through the various tactics concepts. The core idea of each group are clearly explained, displayed and shown in action.

Seirwan assumes no prior knowledge and manages to explain the ideas very clearly. He includes many examples from his own games with his thoughts. The book also includes a section at the back with some of history's greatest tacticians, and a good collection of puzzles.

This book will help you understand basic tactics and help you combine the simple ideas into your own games for attack and defence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will definatly improve an under 1400 elo player!, 29 Jan 2000
This review is from: Winning Chess Tactics (Paperback)
After reading this books you will have a much better understanding of tactics and be able to spot and set-up tactics easily. I have improved 250 elo(300uscf) points since reading this book. Seirawan makes this book interesting throughout and is his best book to date. There are tests after each chapter which are very interesting and help concrete your understanding, This is the chess book to buy, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction, 23 Jun 2004
I'm an occassional, friendly kind of player, so I can't tell you if this book improved my rating or any such. I suspect it is written for folks like me.
In enjoy chess, but I've found precious little that can help a ppor player like me improve. This book is great. It introduces many tactial pitfalls and helps you see the patterns that lead up to the problem. I've definitely been able to plan ahead more and see where I'm exposing myself to exploitation.
The book explains everything in simple language. There are example games, but they aren't the "He's avoiding the problem in <TEN MOVES>" style you see in chess columns and online. And most comforting of all, he makes you feel like you're really playing better chess as you learn stuff. Which is great.
So buy the five books in this series if you want to move from 'quick game with the kids' level to 'ah, now is see why my computer thrashes me every time' level (although it hasn't helped me actually beat my computer!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 16 Aug 1999
This review is from: Winning Chess Tactics (Paperback)
This book was well thought out and well written, but I think that 'Chess Tactics For The Tournament Player' by Alburt is better. The latter has an entire chapter devoted to actually calculating variations, something that Seirawan ignores. The chapter includes all the psychological things that can go wrong when calculating. Also there is more emphasis on destruction, destructive combinations and other things not covered in Seirawans book. All in all Seirawan did an excellent job with this book, but adding some text on actually calclating combos would help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Introductory Tactics Book!, 20 July 1999
This review is from: Winning Chess Tactics (Paperback)
If you have not had any formal instruction in tactics, this book is very clear and well organized in its presentation. It covers all of the major tactical themes. Highly recommended, along with "Play Winning Chess" by the same authors, as the first 2 books a chess player should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tactics Book, 10 Jun 1999
This review is from: Winning Chess Tactics (Paperback)
This book was probably the single most important purchase for my chess game that really taught me the basics when I was a beginner. The Winning Chess Tactics and Play Winning Chess books increased my chess game by more than 100% to my astonishment, and no other books have been easier to read and understand. My success at winning Chess games today started with these books. Every beginning chess player should read these book before all others: Playing Winning Chess, Winning Chess Openings, Winning Chess Tactics, and Winning Chess Strategies.

5.0 out of 5 stars important part of a very good series, 3 Jun 1999
This review is from: Winning Chess Tactics (Paperback)
Anyone who is serious about learning to play chess well should begin with Seirawan's Winning Chess series. I had heard good things about it, so I bought this series for my wife. I figured that it would all be too simple for me, but decided to skim through the books quickly anyway. I learned quit a bit from both the Tactics and Strategies books. Seirawan's system is very similar to the system that co-author Silman teaches in his more advanced How To Reassess Your Chess (which would be the perfect book to read after finishing the Seirawan series). I learned things from Strategies that I hadn't learned from Reassess; and Tactics goes into greater, very helpful detail about setting up and executing tactics and combinations. This is a great series, I recommend it strongly to any player rated under 1600.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›