5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product.
Published 10 months ago by Mr. D. Tate

2.0 out of 5 stars Lucky we noticed the dirt
Published 4 months ago by MISS G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product., 21 Aug. 2014
Mr. D. Tate (Tyne-Wear, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
An excellent package for the price.This is not a plastic toy.Metal telescope body, quality eye pieces an acceptable stand and a very good storage bag for protection and transporting the telescope, it's nice and compact. I am very pleased with this scope and easy to set up.I noticed that a minority of customers are not to happy with the purchase. Well for starters the three eye pieces with the Barlow lens and travel pack would cost the best part of £50 and you have a decent quality scope plus the stand and disc soft ware. I'll tell you something this is a bargain, and an excellent starter package. Delivery was one day earlier than stated and well packaged.All contents were present as advertised and it's a lot better than expected for the price and a joy to use. So any beginners out there go for it, you will not find better value. By the way I am not related to this company in any way, it's just a very good piece of kit. Thankyou.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising good for the price!, 28 Jan. 2014
zippy (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
You wouldn't imagine a scope so cheap could be worth it, but this scope isn't only good, it's damned good, and seems very well built. Firstly, it is so light that fully packed in its strong rucksac I can hold up the whole caboodle with only my little finger. The supplied lenses are also excellent and give a nice sharp view of the Orion Nebula, I can also see some of Jupiter's moons. As for our moon I can zoom in to clearly view individual craters, though the supplied Barlow lens is dreadful, and so well worth buying a better one. I also take the scope out on my mobility scooter for very clear views of boats far out at sea, it's also great for bird watching as the field of view is wider than expected. Another great feature is the free astronomy software. I'm just an occasional amateur but the program is so easy to use and prints out a very nice, and yet fully customizable localized star map for any date of the year. I also highly recommend searching for the free download intro version of Stellarium. I knocked off one star because others are right, the supplied tripod is rather unsteady, I experience much better use of the scope with a proper camera tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shipping, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
Bought this to watch shipping so cant comment on celestial viewing. It does exactly what I was looking for and at a fair price. I have had no problems with the tripod and was nearly put off buying this because of adverse reviews regarding this being flimsy. I am glad I took a chance and purchased this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel scope, not a dedicated astronomical telescope, 27 Nov. 2012
Edgar Allan Poe "Gus" (East Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
OK, let's get this straight; this is not an astronomical telescope per se, yet you can do some astronomical observations with it with care. But if you are after a purely astronomical telescope then you had better look at Celestron's other more dedicated astronomical telescopes rather than this one. This is a scope that is intended that you can sling over your back, use as a spotting scope for bird watching, terrestrial scenic views & some night time astronomical use. So if it is a multi-use scope that you require then this is more for you. And for the price you pay for this then even with the rather poor tripod that comes with it that makes night time astronomy a little tricky, you still get a great versatile scope that will cope with most daylight viewing well, and with some care also night time viewing too.
So, let's get down to brass tacks; the weakness of this scope lies in the tripod. As it has to be small & light to fit into the supplied backpack then I knew when I bought this scope that for my nocturnal astronomical forays that it wasn't going to cut the mustard much. Hence, when I use it for observing any of the planets or the moon I use a more robust camera tripod that I used to use for my old (now defunct) SLR camera. This makes moving the scope around a much smoother operation, and more sturdy too. The supplied tripod will work OK'ish, but you have to be a little more careful & precise when aligning it up to a planet, star or satellite. For day time viewing the supplied tripod would suffice for most occasions as you could keep the tripod as low as possible to the ground & sit on the ground or a small chair to use it. The fixing to use any other tripod with the scope is the standard camera fitting, so fitting the scope on any other tripod is simple. You could of course buy an equatorial mount to fix the scope too if you wanted the best mount for it for astronomical use, but this would set you back quite a bit & also makes the system less portable. Equatorial mounts take some setting up, and to be honest if you were going to pay the price for a mount like that you would most likely also go for a dedicated astronomical telescope too.

The lenses supplied with the scope (4mm,10mm & 20mm) give good magnification. As I mostly use this scope for astronomical purposes this gives me good views of the moon, most of the planets (the gas giants Uranus, Neptune & demoted ex-planet Pluto are out of range really with this small scope). Saturn looks great as ever through the scope, especially with the rings open wide; Jupiter & its Galilean moons are a jewel; Mars at closest approach to Earth is good; Venus really doesn't show too much except its phases & the same with Mercury too accept smaller & harder to spot closer in to the sun. The 45 degree viewing prism makes observation with the lenses easy, except when trying to view anything close to zenith. This is always a hard thing to do with the kind of tripod used, even with a sturdier camera tripod as well. The 3 x Barlow lens is a little too much for this scope; a 2 x Barlow lens I think would suit it better, especially for astronomy. For daylight viewing it is more suited, but remember the higher up the viewing magnification you go the less bright the view through the scope is going to be, so that is why unless you use it to view the moon then you are not going to see much with it at night time; coupled with the fact that the tripod (whether the supplied one or a camera one) will not give you the fine control that you need to zoom in on these high magnifications on any objects you are trying to view. The finder scope is a little tricky to set up, so if you intend to do any night time viewing then it is best (if possible) to set this up in the daytime on a stationary distant object, rather than trying to do it at night on a slow moving star or planet.

The quality of the scope itself is good, given the price range. I can view M31 quite easily through it on a clear night in the city, so if you have great dark skies where you live then it & a few other galaxies should be quite easy to spot too with this scope. I can pick out quite a few globular & open star clusters with the scope, & of course Orion's nebula is wonderful to view as well through the scope. The view through the scope is normal as we see it, so remember that that if you do decide to go for a dedicated astronomical telescope this may not always be so, hence making terrestrial use of any astronomical telescope annoying in the fact that the view may be inverted.

I have had this scope now for nearly six months. I have owned much more expensive & more technical telescopes than this, yet strangely I get more reward & fun out of using this scope for things rather than the more expensive ones. Unless you intend to spend some serious time on astronomy (when the weather permits in the UK at least) then like me you may find that this small scope is all you need. Even at the low price you pay for this scope you still get a large amount of satisfaction from any views from it. And if the worst should happen & you drop or damage it, then you haven't lost too much money on it. Now could you say the same for any serious astronomical telescope? Methinks not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Travelscope 70, 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
I can not recommend this telescope enough. It is my favorite scope. I have one other astronomical telescope, a 6" reflector which is good and gives me some wonderful views of the planets but it is very heavy and hard to transport with out a car. The Celestron travel scope 70 is designed with traveling in mind while offering exceptional value and performance. The Travel Scope is made of the highest quality materials to ensure durability. All this adds up to a telescope that gives you a lifetime of pleasure with a minimal amount of maintenance. Featuring a compact and portable design with ample optical performance, the Travel Scope is ideal for terrestrial as well as astronomical observation.The eyepieces that come with this scope are very good to. I have had some stunning views of the moon, Jupiter and its moons, two at least, and Saturn and in the day some great views of wildlife. I can not rate this telescope enough, it is Brill! A good telescope is one that you use the most and I use this scope almost everyday. I rate it for value and performance and give this scope 100%
Another thing that I would recommend is a moon filter, these are small filters that screw onto the standard eyepiece to reduce the brightness of the moon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal as a Starter Telescope - Excellent Value for Money, 2 Feb. 2015
P. Bryant "CityTiger" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
For the money this is an excellent little telescope. As someone new to astronomy I wanted a low cost, value for money telescope so I can see if this is a hobby I want to pursue or whether it will end up packed away in the cupboard collecting dust before I spend the hundreds or even thousands you easily can on more dedicated astronomy telescopes.

With this scope you can get good visible detail on the moon, and we even could make out some of the moons around Jupiter. However, other than the moon, we haven't been able to get any detail on any of the other space objects so far. That said, we haven't tried it outside of the city yet and so this may be effected by the light pollution but ultimately, this is never intended as a telescope to give you amazing views of far away planets.

If you want to use it for moon gazing or test the waters in astronomy then for the money, I don't think you'll find a better option anywhere else.

For negatives there is the flimsy tripod as others have mentioned. I'm using my DSLR tripod instead which works much better.

Another negative is that the erect image diagonal (the bit on the telescope you connect the lenses to) has a plastic casing. This means that when I over-tightened the screw to grip the eyepiece it has destroyed the thread a little which means my eyepieces are no longer well secured. So, be very careful not to over-tighten the screws! Incidentally a replacement part for this in metal instead would be the same cost as the entire telescope and so for now I'm taking my chances with eyepieces falling out!

I've attached a photo of the moon I was able to get with this telescope and the relevant adaptor (you'll need a t-ring for your brand of camera). It's my first ever attempt so it's not perfect but gives you an idea the kind of image you can get with this telescope.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lucky we noticed the dirt, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
I received this item yesterday - no complaints with that. The outer box that it was delivered in was ripped and scrunched so we opened it to check the item packaging (as it was purchased as a gift) and had no concerns at first. As there was no seal which would need to be broken in order to see inside, we opened the product up to check everything was as is should be. Good job we did as inside we found that the carry bag was dirtied on 4 sides with what looked like white mouldy spots. As we did not have the time to replace this (birthday being tomorrow), I have taken pictures and had to wipe down the carry bag as best as I could. Very disappointed though - I should not expect to have to clean a 'new' and boxed product which has cost such an amount of money, and I would have been extremely embarrassed to have gifted this only for the recipient to discover the white muck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter kit and easy to use introduction to stars and planet spotting, I love it., 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
After my 7 year old pointed at telescopes in a local toy shop, we looked at Amazon reviews to see a mass of disappointment. This little 'grown up' scope is a compact and easy to use outfit that has enough flexibility to be super simple, or more challenging depending on the magnification you use, First thing to impress is the inclusion of a tripod which I'll mention in a moment.

The refractor is 70mm wide, very close to the 76mm Firstscope (meaning 15% less area if you take into account the obstructive mirror on the Firstscope). The focus is damped well, and the images are nice and clear (even better when not looking through patio doors!). My 7 year old got to grips with this within minutes, and we were looking at Jupiter and four moons on our first, and light polluted, night.

Treat the bag and tripod as freebies. It's tricky to criticise something when priced at £44-62, and also comes with several eyepieces and is well built. The All plastic casing gives the telescope lightness for handling, but I'm wondering whether it's the lightness that is causing the wobbly image as there is little weight bearing down on the tripod legs. the tripod also has a spirit level, and all legs are lockable. Considering the price of the scope, I'm guessing the support is probably about £10 of the price, so what would you expect.

Since the tripod is so light, I don't recommend full extension, BUT most fun can be had with the lowest magnification and the tripod to be honest. Distant stars at full magnification can be very wobbly, and the Barlow lens is yet to be tested. I have SLR and camcorders which I use with a Manfrotto monopod, believe me, at just 18-70mm focal lengths WITH built-in vibration reduction, SLR and camcorder images of my kids nativity play and dance recitals can still be shaky without practice. At the magnifications you're getting with this Celestron scope, without VR and on a free tripod, it's performance is outstanding.

I also shortlisted the Celestron Firstscope and other equivalent mirror lenses at the same price, and the lack of image inversion and ease of use made this the winner.

If you want a scope that a 7 year old can aim, find, and observe in seconds, this is it!.

One criticism? there has to be, the scope looks rather agricultural. I prefer the cool look of astronomical scopes, but this all black Darth Vader look will suit many tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars This scope is primarily designed for terrestrial use but as a first scope for looking skyward it's brilliant. True the tripod is, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
I ordered this item on Sunday afternoon and it was duly delivered on Monday afternoon. So top marks so far. I've only recently gained an interest in the sky above us so I searched the net for advice. Everyone was saying you must have a reflector telescope the size of Jodrell Bank. Otherwise you want see anything and loose interest! What tosh! Well the parcel arrived and I put it aside for a while. Later that evening I had occasion to go out to my car and noticed that despite the weather forecast it was a clear sky albeit -3c.
So I went back inside grabbed the parcel, opened it up, a quick glance through the manual and hey presto it was assembled in about 10 minutes. I couldn't set up the finder scope because that needs to be done in daylight. Anyway I took it outside, found what I believed was Jupiter and aimed the scope as if it was the barrel of a canon! Fitted the 20mm eye piece and fiddled around a bit and behold a circle of light appeared. I locked the scope onto it and delicately remove the 20mm and fitted the 10mm and to my amazement the circle of light was still there. Well I thought lets push my luck and I removed the 10mm and put in the 4mm eye piece. Yes after a little focusing Jupiter was still there. I continued to play with the focus wheel and my eye became accustomed to looking through the eye piece. Gradually to my astonishment I began to see the patterns of clouds and even the little dots of a couple of Jupiter moons. Now I'm hooked line and sinker!!
This scope is primarily designed for terrestrial use but as a first scope for looking skyward it's brilliant. True the tripod is flimsy but as long as to realise that and treat it delicately it's not a problem. Your not going to discover a new comet with this scope because it not designed for it. But! To wet your appetite for the heavens and to take a look at some of our fellow planets it's well worth the £45 I paid. That said I live in the country so don't suffer light pollution. If you live in a town or city it may be a little different. But it comes in it's own rucksack. So put it in your car or get on your bike and go somewhere and look at the night sky as natured intended. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope for the money., 12 July 2013
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
This is a great product if purchased with the 3x barlow, i could not believe, i used the included 20mm eyepiece with the 3x barlow, weather conditions were bad only Arturo and Saturn were eye visible, but enough to show Saturn clearly with his rings.
Tripod is really shaggy but very light weight.
Great performance for a 70/400mm telescope if used with a barlow. Now waiting for a clear sky!!!!

Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit