4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising good for the price!
Published 13 months ago by zippy

1.0 out of 5 stars Dirty bag
The bag for the telescope was covered in stains on both sides. Luckly I opened the item before giving it to my friend for xmas
Published 2 months ago by Marek Mazur

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising good for the price!, 28 Jan. 2014
zippy (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
You wouldn't imagine a scope so cheap could be worth it, but this scope isn't only good, it's damned good, and seems very well built. Firstly, it is so light that fully packed in its strong rucksac I can hold up the whole caboodle with only my little finger. The supplied lenses are also excellent and give a nice sharp view of the Orion Nebula, I can also see some of Jupiter's moons. As for our moon I can zoom in to clearly view individual craters, though the supplied Barlow lens is dreadful, and so well worth buying a better one. I also take the scope out on my mobility scooter for very clear views of boats far out at sea, it's also great for bird watching as the field of view is wider than expected. Another great feature is the free astronomy software. I'm just an occasional amateur but the program is so easy to use and prints out a very nice, and yet fully customizable localized star map for any date of the year. I also highly recommend searching for the free download intro version of Stellarium. I knocked off one star because others are right, the supplied tripod is rather unsteady, I experience much better use of the scope with a proper camera tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product., 21 Aug. 2014
Mr. D. Tate (Tyne-Wear, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
An excellent package for the price.This is not a plastic toy.Metal telescope body, quality eye pieces an acceptable stand and a very good storage bag for protection and transporting the telescope, it's nice and compact. I am very pleased with this scope and easy to set up.I noticed that a minority of customers are not to happy with the purchase. Well for starters the three eye pieces with the Barlow lens and travel pack would cost the best part of £50 and you have a decent quality scope plus the stand and disc soft ware. I'll tell you something this is a bargain, and an excellent starter package. Delivery was one day earlier than stated and well packaged.All contents were present as advertised and it's a lot better than expected for the price and a joy to use. So any beginners out there go for it, you will not find better value. By the way I am not related to this company in any way, it's just a very good piece of kit. Thankyou.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dirty bag, 10 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal as a Starter Telescope - Excellent Value for Money, 2 Feb. 2015
P. Bryant "CityTiger" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
For the money this is an excellent little telescope. As someone new to astronomy I wanted a low cost, value for money telescope so I can see if this is a hobby I want to pursue or whether it will end up packed away in the cupboard collecting dust before I spend the hundreds or even thousands you easily can on more dedicated astronomy telescopes.

With this scope you can get good visible detail on the moon, and we even could make out some of the moons around Jupiter. However, other than the moon, we haven't been able to get any detail on any of the other space objects so far. That said, we haven't tried it outside of the city yet and so this may be effected by the light pollution but ultimately, this is never intended as a telescope to give you amazing views of far away planets.

If you want to use it for moon gazing or test the waters in astronomy then for the money, I don't think you'll find a better option anywhere else.

For negatives there is the flimsy tripod as others have mentioned. I'm using my DSLR tripod instead which works much better.

Another negative is that the erect image diagonal (the bit on the telescope you connect the lenses to) has a plastic casing. This means that when I over-tightened the screw to grip the eyepiece it has destroyed the thread a little which means my eyepieces are no longer well secured. So, be very careful not to over-tighten the screws! Incidentally a replacement part for this in metal instead would be the same cost as the entire telescope and so for now I'm taking my chances with eyepieces falling out!

I've attached a photo of the moon I was able to get with this telescope and the relevant adaptor (you'll need a t-ring for your brand of camera). It's my first ever attempt so it's not perfect but gives you an idea the kind of image you can get with this telescope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shipping, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
Bought this to watch shipping so cant comment on celestial viewing. It does exactly what I was looking for and at a fair price. I have had no problems with the tripod and was nearly put off buying this because of adverse reviews regarding this being flimsy. I am glad I took a chance and purchased this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Travelscope 70, 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
I can not recommend this telescope enough. It is my favorite scope. I have one other astronomical telescope, a 6" reflector which is good and gives me some wonderful views of the planets but it is very heavy and hard to transport with out a car. The Celestron travel scope 70 is designed with traveling in mind while offering exceptional value and performance. The Travel Scope is made of the highest quality materials to ensure durability. All this adds up to a telescope that gives you a lifetime of pleasure with a minimal amount of maintenance. Featuring a compact and portable design with ample optical performance, the Travel Scope is ideal for terrestrial as well as astronomical observation.The eyepieces that come with this scope are very good to. I have had some stunning views of the moon, Jupiter and its moons, two at least, and Saturn and in the day some great views of wildlife. I can not rate this telescope enough, it is Brill! A good telescope is one that you use the most and I use this scope almost everyday. I rate it for value and performance and give this scope 100%
Another thing that I would recommend is a moon filter, these are small filters that screw onto the standard eyepiece to reduce the brightness of the moon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel scope, not a dedicated astronomical telescope, 27 Nov. 2012
Edgar Allan Poe "Gus" (East Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
OK, let's get this straight; this is not an astronomical telescope per se, yet you can do some astronomical observations with it with care. But if you are after a purely astronomical telescope then you had better look at Celestron's other more dedicated astronomical telescopes rather than this one. This is a scope that is intended that you can sling over your back, use as a spotting scope for bird watching, terrestrial scenic views & some night time astronomical use. So if it is a multi-use scope that you require then this is more for you. And for the price you pay for this then even with the rather poor tripod that comes with it that makes night time astronomy a little tricky, you still get a great versatile scope that will cope with most daylight viewing well, and with some care also night time viewing too.
So, let's get down to brass tacks; the weakness of this scope lies in the tripod. As it has to be small & light to fit into the supplied backpack then I knew when I bought this scope that for my nocturnal astronomical forays that it wasn't going to cut the mustard much. Hence, when I use it for observing any of the planets or the moon I use a more robust camera tripod that I used to use for my old (now defunct) SLR camera. This makes moving the scope around a much smoother operation, and more sturdy too. The supplied tripod will work OK'ish, but you have to be a little more careful & precise when aligning it up to a planet, star or satellite. For day time viewing the supplied tripod would suffice for most occasions as you could keep the tripod as low as possible to the ground & sit on the ground or a small chair to use it. The fixing to use any other tripod with the scope is the standard camera fitting, so fitting the scope on any other tripod is simple. You could of course buy an equatorial mount to fix the scope too if you wanted the best mount for it for astronomical use, but this would set you back quite a bit & also makes the system less portable. Equatorial mounts take some setting up, and to be honest if you were going to pay the price for a mount like that you would most likely also go for a dedicated astronomical telescope too.

The lenses supplied with the scope (4mm,10mm & 20mm) give good magnification. As I mostly use this scope for astronomical purposes this gives me good views of the moon, most of the planets (the gas giants Uranus, Neptune & demoted ex-planet Pluto are out of range really with this small scope). Saturn looks great as ever through the scope, especially with the rings open wide; Jupiter & its Galilean moons are a jewel; Mars at closest approach to Earth is good; Venus really doesn't show too much except its phases & the same with Mercury too accept smaller & harder to spot closer in to the sun. The 45 degree viewing prism makes observation with the lenses easy, except when trying to view anything close to zenith. This is always a hard thing to do with the kind of tripod used, even with a sturdier camera tripod as well. The 3 x Barlow lens is a little too much for this scope; a 2 x Barlow lens I think would suit it better, especially for astronomy. For daylight viewing it is more suited, but remember the higher up the viewing magnification you go the less bright the view through the scope is going to be, so that is why unless you use it to view the moon then you are not going to see much with it at night time; coupled with the fact that the tripod (whether the supplied one or a camera one) will not give you the fine control that you need to zoom in on these high magnifications on any objects you are trying to view. The finder scope is a little tricky to set up, so if you intend to do any night time viewing then it is best (if possible) to set this up in the daytime on a stationary distant object, rather than trying to do it at night on a slow moving star or planet.

The quality of the scope itself is good, given the price range. I can view M31 quite easily through it on a clear night in the city, so if you have great dark skies where you live then it & a few other galaxies should be quite easy to spot too with this scope. I can pick out quite a few globular & open star clusters with the scope, & of course Orion's nebula is wonderful to view as well through the scope. The view through the scope is normal as we see it, so remember that that if you do decide to go for a dedicated astronomical telescope this may not always be so, hence making terrestrial use of any astronomical telescope annoying in the fact that the view may be inverted.

I have had this scope now for nearly six months. I have owned much more expensive & more technical telescopes than this, yet strangely I get more reward & fun out of using this scope for things rather than the more expensive ones. Unless you intend to spend some serious time on astronomy (when the weather permits in the UK at least) then like me you may find that this small scope is all you need. Even at the low price you pay for this scope you still get a large amount of satisfaction from any views from it. And if the worst should happen & you drop or damage it, then you haven't lost too much money on it. Now could you say the same for any serious astronomical telescope? Methinks not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron 70mm Travel scope, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
Ive just recieved this telescope and was so excited about it . I couldnt wait to unpack it...having 3 other telescopes ..it didnt take me long to unpack and set up ..piece of cake...it looks very nice and great for the purpose of carting it around everywhere i go ..the optics are quality having a quick look over the fields amazing views.im lookin about a mile away at a bus parked up and i can easily read the adverts and name of the company name on the bus also i can read the number plate that is not kidding you amazing clarity..Ok i read reviews that the 3x barlow lens is useless ..ok you have a problem if you dont set it up right you see nothing...firstly take out the diagonal prism and place your barlow straight into the end of the scope basically making it extended..then place you diagonal into the end of the barlow and then pop in your eyepiece..HEY PRESTO!!!! works perfectly ...ok the tripod is`nt great but ok when viewing land etc but for star gazing i would recommend a bigger and sturdier tripod I have these on my other scopes so i wont have a problem....on the whole this little piece of kit is FANTASTIC you cant go wrong at the price amazing....patience on how to set it up and use is required but once you do that you will have some great fun with this scope...both land and sky viewing ..as i said i have 3 other larger scope and this is up there with them .. the reason i got this is to take out when i walk the dog because were i live Im blessed with beautiful views and wildlife and grèat open skies at night...I love the back pack idea ...I`m happy i spent the money on a product that has great value and will see plenty of use and at the price you wont get better anywhere and Celestron is a top brand in telescopes with quality optics ..GET ONE and learn how to use it and you will enjoy amazing views of the skies and wildlife and general views .... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a gift to teenager, who wanted to see the rings of Saturn., 22 May 2014
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
She ( 14 ), was able to put it into operation alone without help.
and reported that Saturn truly has rings and Jupiter some
tiny slowly moving moons ... ...
The SkyX First Light made her happy too, now
she can find almost everything she wanted to see earlier.
She was missing guidence on possible hard-ware
development projects like: how to attach a camera
for example or reduce tripod shaking. Advised her
to join a Junior Astronomer's Club. It was a good gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope for the money., 12 July 2013
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit (Electronics)
This is a great product if purchased with the 3x barlow, i could not believe, i used the included 20mm eyepiece with the 3x barlow, weather conditions were bad only Arturo and Saturn were eye visible, but enough to show Saturn clearly with his rings.
Tripod is really shaggy but very light weight.
Great performance for a 70/400mm telescope if used with a barlow. Now waiting for a clear sky!!!!

Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit